As a confirmed Luddite

X2, Don't know how I made it down the Peninsula with only
a AAA map and T Miller's Baja III

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-31-2019 at 02:56 PM

Tom Miller was a nice guy!
In the days before the Internet, he and Shirley Miller kept us in the loop with their Mexico West newsletter that came during and after The Baja Book editions... 1974+.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2019 at 09:35 AM

Keep an eye out for a new place called Piedra de Tortuga, Tortuga de Piedra, or something like that. Information, photos, location, all appreciated.

[Edited on 9-3-2019 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajagregg
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2019 at 10:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
In the days before the Internet, he and Shirley Miller kept us in the loop with their Mexico West newsletter that came during and after The Baja Book editions... 1974+.

Tom was a great guy. He quit his job as a salesperson in 1973, put on a pair of flip-flops, and never looked back! I worked with him on the original Baja Book and the Mexico West newsletter along with a number of other projects. Unfortunately, he left us too soon.

Traveling Baja for 50 years.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2019 at 10:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  

Don't know how I made it down the Peninsula with only
a AAA map and T Miller's Baja III

I don't know how anybody would not make it down the peninsula with nothing but a simple map, when there is only one highway - not counting SF corridor. Baja Almanac mapbook served me well, more than just for driving.

Having said this, - in my very first drive down the Baja Road (after many plane/bus trips) I carried both smartphone and handheld GPS. Smartphone was a freebie from my provider after 3 years of service, never connected it to mobile network (kept using my flip-phone instead 'cause it was more convenient), but loaded that smartphone with Spanish dictionary AND free offline navigator. Navigator didn't cover Baja, but saved my ars while crossing the states (I'm in Canada). There is no excuse not to have a navigator with voice guidance when it's free, the area is unfamiliar and roads are many.

Handheld GPS was a legacy from my wilderness kayaking days, I loaded it with waypoints for turn-offs to planned camps and hotels and it beeped when approaching the point.

If you can't plan, can't use a map, and can't or don't want to open your mouth and say "camp Beluga" at any convenience store or gas station on the only major road of San Felipe... Then you have a problem.

[Edited on 9-3-2019 by Alm]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2019 at 11:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajagregg  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Tom was a great guy. He quit his job as a salesperson in 1973, put on a pair of flip-flops, and never looked back! I worked with him on the original Baja Book and the Mexico West newsletter along with a number of other projects. Unfortunately, he left us too soon.

Some good history!
The Mexico West camping trips were fun... Laguna Manuela, Posada Don Diego, etc. My introduction to 4WD Subarus are thanks to Tom... I had three between 1977 and 1994.
WON was well worth reading just for Tom's collum and he was full of energy always.
I enjoyed talking with him and was sorry that he was taken from us, too soon.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-3-2019 at 03:43 PM
What a coincidence!

I read this post this morning, then went out to my property for a drive-about. I checked in with the neighbors to see if they needed anything, and Chris said she had found an old Baja book that belonged to her ex, and could I use it?

It is The Baja Book II, by Tom Miller and Elmar Baxter. It is signed and dated 12/5/80, and includes a business card for Baja Trail Publications!

I intend to take it with me on my next adventure, and compare his findings with my own. What timing!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
roldanojr
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2019 at 06:24 PM

Bahía Luis Gonzaga, Rancho grande has cabins, and small rooms, with all amenities, except fridge, why they don’t have fridge, because they sell ice in the market. Lol, business man!
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.