BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: 2019 SCORE Baja 400 Map (Sept. 18-22)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-30-2019 at 10:41 AM
2019 SCORE Baja 400 Map (Sept. 18-22)

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 8-30-2019 at 11:47 AM

I hate it when you post these maps!!!

Been 30 years since I buckled the 5 way, tightened the helmet and hit the starter.
I can still feel that big padded steering wheel with the tape strip straight up, feel the vibes coming off the big V8, hear the rumble as the cam kicks it over and over, and then hard push on the loud pedal and pure joy....

I hate it!!!
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2019 at 11:57 AM

Good to see Simpsons road is being used again.
Unfamiliar with Rancho Las Truchas. Can someone get me up to speed?
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 8-30-2019 at 12:21 PM

same weekend as the San Pedro Martir Hillclimb! catch em both:coolup:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2019 at 06:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Good to see Simpsons road is being used again.
Unfamiliar with Rancho Las Truchas. Can someone get me up to speed?

That's a new one to me, too.
Looks like it is on the river road that goes near the back gate to AstroBaja's resort, Baja Dark Skies Inn, the former Rancho La Concepción.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2019 at 07:02 AM

why 2 similar races...the Baja 400 and Baja 500...Is this the end of the Baja 1000? Lots of people against off-road racings noisy environmental damage.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 8-31-2019 at 07:31 AM

For every one that does not like the race. There is ten thousand that do. The sound of a vett 1000hp engine music. Do I like the races no but that's what they do. Don't like it move back to the States.
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2019 at 07:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
For every one that does not like the race. There is ten thousand that do. The sound of a vett 1000hp engine music. Do I like the races no but that's what they do. Don't like it move back to the States.

Since you don't like the races, follow your own advice. I was asking why two races that appear to be the same.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2019 at 08:03 AM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!

Quote: Originally posted by norte  

Since you don't like the races, follow your own advice. I was asking why two races that appear to be the same.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2019 at 09:10 AM

Score needs to have 4 races... it seems?
They used to run at least one race in the States but between insurance costs and whatever else, no more... only Baja now. They had a race near Rosarito Beach a couple of years and for whatever reason, that format didn't work. Ensenada loves off-road races so back to Ensenada they went. Apparently a 400-mile race was deemed most likable?

SCORE BAJA RACES:

San Felipe 250 (originally the Mexicali 250, one year was the Baja 250, in Ensenada)*

Baja 500 (originally the Baja Internacional 1974- about 1993)**

Baja 400 (new for 2019)

Baja 1000 ***

*The Mexicali based off road race was first known as the Hotel Lucerna 250 before Score became licensed to run all off road races in Baja back in 1974.

** The Baja 500 was created by NORRA in 1968 as a second race on the peninsula. It was a large loop starting and ending in Ensenada with Laguna Chapala being the southern-most point. The last NORRA 500 was in 1973 when Mexico took over. That failed after just one year, and SCORE was invited in to resume race organizing.

*** The first Baja race was in 1967 and called the Mexican 1000 and run by NORRA, however, most folks called it the Baja 1000. The race first started in Tijuana, then Ensenada, except in 1972 when it started in Mexicali. NORRA was removed from race operations after their 1973 Baja 500 (June) and Mexico's own Baja Sports Committee (BSC) took over and renamed the race Baja Mil (1000) for 1973. They mismanaged the money terribly and the racers who finished in La Paz didn't receive their winnings.
When BSC tried to run a Baja 500 in June, almost nobody came. In a quick response to this disaster, the governor and others contacted Mickey Thompson and asked if his new SCORE organization would run the races in Baja. The 1974 (July) Baja Internacional was a huge success. It moved to June the following years and once the Baja 500 name was legally available, changed the race name back to what everyone called it, anyway.

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2019 at 10:22 AM

David
I ran 3 Mexican 1000s
and 7 Baja 1000s

I never once heard it called "Baja 1000" until after the BSC fiasco (which I ran, finished 4th in pickup class, did not get paid for a year)

The only reason they called it "Baja" 1000 is that NORRA would not release the name. I never saw a Baja 1000 t shirt, poster or any other suggestion of the name prior to the big bust-up in 1973,
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2019 at 11:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
Quote: Originally posted by norte  

Because they do what they do that is your answer.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2019 at 11:51 AM

Not officially, but casually it was the Baja 1000 before 1973. I think maybe ABC Wide World of Sports and Sears tire ads even? However, I was between 10 and 15 during those years, so my memory may be off?

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-31-2019 at 11:52 AM

I think a majority of people in baja have zero interest in racing.
Mor0nic fans tend to flock together with other mor0ns, and easliy confuse their smelly flock with popularity.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2019 at 12:31 PM

Obviously you have never been to a Baja race.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2019 at 01:24 PM
Keyboard cowboys should stick to what they know about

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Mor0nic fans tend to flock together with other mor0ns, and easliy confuse their smelly flock with popularity.

You have never experienced this so you have no idea what you are talking about (not that that ever prevents you from chiming in)

One of the reasons I retired after 12 years was that it was getting too popular with the locals. Ensenada is insane race week. The locals line the roads everywhere. The most frightening thing I have ever done is drive flat out through a tunnel of people. The local merchants ring the registers at record pace.

Stick to your keyboard, don't fall off your stool.

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2019 at 01:41 PM

Financial gain for local towns means off road racing will be around for a very long time. The majority of local businesses get their income from event to event and a race is one of the big profit events. Of course the local population do love the races and to travel a long ways to sit beside the race track. Are those people the majority of the population - NO, but their spending makes it all happen.
As far as the 400 vs 500 that came about because of major event in Ensenada and SCORE had to make do with less miles. I expect all will be normal next year.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2019 at 02:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

. I think stupid tourist from San Diego with zero experience here. Should ask for info about what happens in a country you do live in. Let alone give info.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2019 at 02:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Not officially, but casually it was the Baja 1000 before 1973. I think maybe ABC Wide World of Sports and Sears tire ads even? However, I was between 10 and 15 during those years, so my memory may be off?
. They are using same course in San
Vicente as last race few months ago. I ran it in my 4x4 bronco iat night in one sharp to turn big hole. No speed there for Boulders both sides. talco powder so deep. The bronco rear diff high centered . Both wheel off ground. Got out locked in hubs took off. I will try in my off road pre runner as long. As another truck with tow strap. . At all last race most all got stuck there. All bugs stuck some of the million dollars rigs made it.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2019 at 02:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Financial gain for local towns means off road racing will be around for a very long time. The majority of local businesses get their income from event to event and a race is one of the big profit events. Of course the local population do love the races and to travel a long ways to sit beside the race track. Are those people the majority of the population - NO, but their spending makes it all happen.
As far as the 400 vs 500 that came about because of major event in Ensenada and SCORE had to make do with less miles. I expect all will be normal next year.

The 400 did not replace the 500, it replaced the Desert Challenge, out from Rosario & Tijuana. It was the Imperial Valley race before that.

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.