BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Have you ever or do you now travel with a gun to Baja?
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2019 at 09:01 PM
Have you ever or do you now travel with a gun to Baja?

?

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2019 at 09:27 PM

WTF? I'm more concerned about getting blasted here in the USA. I go to Baja for mental sanity. I can't keep up with all the mass shootings in Merica.

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 9-3-2019 at 10:44 PM
Have Gun - Will Travel ?

North or South one NEVER knows what ill might occur.

Statistically, while there are myriad individual risk factors involving (among others) location and environment, the chances of being a victim in Mexico are (overall) higher than the U.S., BUT your chances of being a victim are still low. A small fraction of one-percent.

That said, a Paranoid Pessimist (like me) might weigh the risks and say "Why the F not ?"

Traveling in Mexico over 40 years, I carried more often than not. Fortunately, without incident other than a couple of close calls during inspections.

Of course, traveling in the U.S. (usually armed), there have only been a very few incidents. Most long ago in a younger (and wilder) time.

Semper Paratus !

Just don't get caught.

[Edited on 9-4-2019 by MrBillM]
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 9-4-2019 at 05:11 AM

Lol. Not a chance. I have seen the inside of a mexican jail.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-4-2019 at 07:23 AM

I do not carry in Mexico. I feel that the chances that having a firearm saves the day for you, are far out shadowed by the chances that it is going to be a big problem for you!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 9-4-2019 at 08:32 AM

Nope.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2019 at 08:55 AM

If I did, I sure would not admit to it here...Unless I never go to Mexico anymore like Mr. Bill.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 9-4-2019 at 09:22 AM
That's TRUE !

Those who are still making the journey would be ill-advised to admit that they carry no matter how remote the possibility they would suffer as a result. One never knows when they might irritate someone who would find the information useful for retribution.

Even though the odds were against discovery, the last gun that I still had in Baja is still there.

In pieces spread over a few square miles.
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2019 at 11:26 AM

This question is like asking Israel if they have Nukes.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2019 at 08:17 PM

Never leave home without one, except when I go to Mexico! In Mexico I have several can's of high power wasp spray, it would give me enough time to get away or take the gun pointed at me.
No way I want to see the inside of a Mexican prison, the US ones I work in are bad enough... Never felt like I needed one or wish I had one while in Baja!
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 9-4-2019 at 08:33 PM

Wasp spray is what I’ve heard of too and plan on getting a couple cans. Is it available in Baja or is it just a US thing? Pepper spray might be good too and don’t think they mess with you here too much for that except for flying, can’t fly with it.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2019 at 08:55 PM

There was a time I was glad SOMEONE had a gun in Baja. Years ago I was on a motorcycle trip through Baja with a group of five. It was before the highway was finished and I was about 19 then. The trip was almost all through the desert on dirt to LaPaz. We were a little behind schedule and were running after dark to some planned destination for the night. We passed through a small town and encountered a hostile drunken gang of young people. We ignored them and kept on moving through. They all jumped in an old beater pickup and started to chase us. We ran for a few miles with them right behind us and finally decided it would be safer to stop running fast at night on an unknown road and see what the gang had in mind as everyone in our group was physically in good shape. As they piled out of the pickup we immediately saw they were armed with tire irons and at least one hammer. At this point one of our group pulled out a 357 revolver that none of us knew he had packed. He aimed just over the heads of the advancing gang and fired off a round. I can still remember the ear splitting report and the fire coming out of the barrel of the gun. The gang did an abrupt about face and fled the scene. With the way the Cartels are armed to the teeth today that would have been a suicidal move as we would have been badly outgunned. It thankfully worked that time and there were no repercussions.The rest of the trip was uneventful.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2019 at 05:58 AM

Two words: Bear Spray

I actually read some information in Wyoming about the use of a gun versus spray against bears. Surprisingly, the people who used bear spray were more likely to survive than the gun owners, by almost 2 to 1!!!.

I guess because the spray comes out in a cloud about 25-35 feet out, where as a panicked human likely shoots wildly or on the run. I don't feel so bad about leaving my .44 Magnum at home this summer and just packing bear spray.

It dawned on me that carrying bear spray against potential human threats, especially like somewhere in Baja, might be a great option. I used to pack a hunting slingshot and .44 caliber lead balls, figured that would keep any banditos at bay. You can be quite accurate with a good slingshot.

John

[Edited on 9-5-2019 by John Harper]
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 9-5-2019 at 06:13 AM

Always take my mask, snorkel and spear gun when in my jeep.. Loaded spear gun is pretty intimidating.
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2019 at 06:36 AM

Wasp Spray is a myth as a weapon.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9Uy9MnQfk_0

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Never leave home without one, except when I go to Mexico! In Mexico I have several can's of high power wasp spray, it would give me enough time to get away or take the gun pointed at me.
No way I want to see the inside of a Mexican prison, the US ones I work in are bad enough... Never felt like I needed one or wish I had one while in Baja!

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2019 at 06:41 AM

Exactly ... unless you train as a shooter under stressful situations and you can hit a 30 mph moving target ... I’ve traveled extensively on my motorcycle solo thru the Yukon, Northwest Territories where the brown bear population is higher than the human population and rangers there only suggest Bear Spray for survival in a bear attack. Good info!

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Two words: Bear Spray

I actually read some information in Wyoming about the use of a gun versus spray against bears. Surprisingly, the people who used bear spray were more likely to survive than the gun owners, by almost 2 to 1!!!.

I guess because the spray comes out in a cloud about 25-35 feet out, where as a panicked human likely shoots wildly or on the run. I don't feel so bad about leaving my .44 Magnum at home this summer and just packing bear spray.

It dawned on me that carrying bear spray against potential human threats, especially like somewhere in Baja, might be a great option. I used to pack a hunting slingshot and .44 caliber lead balls, figured that would keep any banditos at bay. You can be quite accurate with a good slingshot.

John

[Edited on 9-5-2019 by John Harper]

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2019 at 06:59 AM

Pepper spray is a better option for self defense, according to this article:

"Bear spray is typically more expensive than pepper spray, and harder to carry with you at all times because of its size. Pepper spray is small, easy to use, and much stronger.

Your choice is clear: If you are serious about your self defense, buy a proper pepper spray. Leave the bear spray for the bears!"

https://www.selfdefenseninja.com/bear-spray-vs-pepper-spray-...

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 9-5-2019 at 07:46 AM

22 cal Mendoza repeating pellet rifle, tree saws
Large dogs with attitude and a well traveled family
The Mexican 22 cal Mendoza’s come in models that can deliver both lethal and non lethal messages
All legal choices, but I heard somewhere that bear spray is not
Anyone know the facts on the spray?
Thanks Lionel :cool:
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 9-5-2019 at 07:48 AM

What do you carry JZ ?
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2019 at 08:26 AM

Pepper spray at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/POLICE-MAGNUM-Pepper-Molded-Keychain/...

Think I'll get some. I'm one of those folks that think camping in Baja is getting more dangerous as time goes on.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.