Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: The Journeys of Harry Crosby: 4 min. preview to a new film
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-5-2019 at 10:41 AM
The Journeys of Harry Crosby: 4 min. preview to a new film

Thank you Discover Baja Travel Club for promoting this!

At 92 years old, Harry W. Crosby is a local hero, and soon-to-be national treasure. Though largely unknown outside the U.S. Southwest and Mexico, Harry is almost single-handedly responsible for introducing the culture, history, and magic of the Baja California Peninsula to audiences on both sides of the border.

Cinewest Productions is collaborating with the San Diego History Center to raise funds to complete The Journeys of Harry Crosby, a one hour documentary that will bring to life the work of this pioneering photographer, explorer and historian to international audiences through Public Television, museums, and online distribution. The Journeys of Harry Crosby is being directed by award-winning filmmaker Isaac Artenstein, produced by David Richardson, with Sergio Ulloa as Director of Photography.

Harry’s journeys have resulted in six classic books that include, "The Cave Paintings of Baja California," "Last of the Californios" and "Antigua California." His writings and photographs have captured the history, geography and people of this unique region, while vividly demonstrating the centuries old inter-relationship between the Californias.

The Journeys of Harry Crosby will take audiences through majestic landscapes, ancient cave paintings, colonial missions, and historic ranchos in one of the most bio diverse regions in the world. If you want to support the post-production fund and be part of this screen journey, contact Director Isaac Artenstein at: jhcbaja@gmail.com Participate and be a guest of the filmmakers at the big-screen premiere in San Diego before its national airing on PBS.

https://vimeo.com/284022025

"Harry W. Crosby is a national treasure. Though he remains largely unknown outside the U.S. Southwest, he has been almost single-handedly responsible for introducing the culture and history of the Baja California Peninsula to modern U.S. audiences."

[Edited on 9-5-2019 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2019 at 06:10 PM

This is the link to the video film trailer: https://vimeo.com/284022025

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2019 at 07:51 PM

Looks really good... Thanks.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-6-2019 at 09:30 AM

I would love to be able to do a little time traveling with him! Did I understand correctly, that the production they are talking about will be studio work, collating Harry's work?

Do you have an insight into a targeted release date?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2019 at 09:52 AM

From what I read off the Discover Baja email is that they are raising funds to produce the film so no date until the thing is made. This was the first I have heard of it so I shared this with you all. The more interest created, the better the chance it happens.

I will post any updates I see.

gueribo
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2019 at 05:37 PM

Nicely done trailer. I hope they make the film.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-11-2019 at 07:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Thank you Discover Baja Travel Club for promoting this!

At 92 years old, Harry W. Crosby is a local hero, and soon-to-be national treasure. Though largely unknown outside the U.S. Southwest and Mexico, Harry is almost single-handedly responsible for introducing the culture, history, and magic of the Baja California Peninsula to audiences on both sides of the border.

Cinewest Productions is collaborating with the San Diego History Center to raise funds to complete The Journeys of Harry Crosby, a one hour documentary that will bring to life the work of this pioneering photographer, explorer and historian to international audiences through Public Television, museums, and online distribution. The Journeys of Harry Crosby is being directed by award-winning filmmaker Isaac Artenstein, produced by David Richardson, with Sergio Ulloa as Director of Photography.

Harry’s journeys have resulted in six classic books that include, "The Cave Paintings of Baja California," "Last of the Californios" and "Antigua California." His writings and photographs have captured the history, geography and people of this unique region, while vividly demonstrating the centuries old inter-relationship between the Californias.

The Journeys of Harry Crosby will take audiences through majestic landscapes, ancient cave paintings, colonial missions, and historic ranchos in one of the most bio diverse regions in the world. If you want to support the post-production fund and be part of this screen journey, contact Director Isaac Artenstein at: jhcbaja@gmail.com Participate and be a guest of the filmmakers at the big-screen premiere in San Diego before its national airing on PBS.

https://vimeo.com/284022025

"Harry W. Crosby is a national treasure. Though he remains largely unknown outside the U.S. Southwest, he has been almost single-handedly responsible for introducing the culture and history of the Baja California Peninsula to modern U.S. audiences."

[Edited on 9-5-2019 by David K]

If they are looking for money, they should look to Europe. From what I have heard it sounds like more Europeans travel to see the baja cave paintings than gringos,....

Has the promoter hasn’t got locals behind them, like The Nat, UABC, INAH, UNAM, KPBS, etc.

No website link, just a gmail address for promoter?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2019 at 04:36 PM

I sent a email to the producer last week. He must be very busy. :rolleyes:

I hope they release the doc soon. I will definitely see it. We have a good friend who gifted us a signed photo he took in the early 90's of an Arce in front of Cueva Flechas. I was fascinated to hear his stories of several trips into the canyons that he took over course of a decade to photograph the caves and the people of the area. I bought a used copy of Cave Paintings of Baja California and pored over it and was determined to see them. I could only imagine the lengths Harry Crosby went to in pursuit of documenting and thus helping to preserve and promote the significance of the paintings.

Over the years I heard from and read about others doing the trip and was envious. Flash forward to March 2018, thanks to the planning and goading of Bajaboy and familia, I found myself riding a mule for 5+ hours down some hairy trails with a small group of friends and family and camping in the shadows of the majestic canyon walls. We spent three+ days scampering up and down cliffs and into caves and it was an incredible experience. Each night I would bring out the book and re-read Harry Crosby's recollections of his first trips into the area and the caves we were seeing first hand.

It was a sublime experience that I will never forget. I am so glad that I was able to do it and highly recommend it for anyone with an adventurous streak who appreciates natural beauty and exploration.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2019 at 05:21 PM

It was fun for all of us to meet Harry at the Pyramid Resort, too.

del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 10-31-2019 at 02:12 PM

David could you comment on this.....any truth or simply BS?

Harry W. Crosby, over many years, has identified David Kiers writings and viewpoints as "less than a child level intelligence travel writer". "David Kier and his misguided book about 'old missions' isn't worth my time".

Over the many years of interviews, Crosby went further during lunch conversations with friends under a friendly tree at a local La Jolla coffee shop.
"David Kier glosses over the destruction of Baja California", "indigenous slavery and the deaths of human beings associated with the Spanish pacification of Mexico. By doing so, he promotes the continued destruction of the people of Baja".

Harry said recently, "the travel promotion of David Kier and anyone supporting him, are guilty of the continued genocide of the people of Mexico".
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2019 at 03:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  

David could you comment on this.....any truth or simply BS?

Harry W. Crosby, over many years, has identified David Kiers writings and viewpoints as "less than a child level intelligence travel writer". "David Kier and his misguided book about 'old missions' isn't worth my time".

Over the many years of interviews, Crosby went further during lunch conversations with friends under a friendly tree at a local La Jolla coffee shop.
"David Kier glosses over the destruction of Baja California", "indigenous slavery and the deaths of human beings associated with the Spanish pacification of Mexico. By doing so, he promotes the continued destruction of the people of Baja".

Harry said recently, "the travel promotion of David Kier and anyone supporting him, are guilty of the continued genocide of the people of Mexico".

Where do you find this stuff... sound like another JJJ post?

Here's a photo when I chatted with Harry in 2003 taken by someone also at the Pyramid Resort for the first book signing. We chatted about my drive to Mission Santa María. I showed him my photos and he couldn't believe I got my 2001 Tacoma there!

L to R: Jimmy Smith (The Grinning Gargoyle), Harry Crosby, me.

A few months before, I was at Harry's new book presentation at the Serra Museum. We talked some more and I brought my other Harry Crosby books down to San Diego for him to sign.

As for the rest of your comments, it would be such a lesser person to disparage anyone like that. I will say that the 2012 Old Missions book was no great work... I simply added some Baja mission details to it but its author Max Kurillo insisted I be added on as a co-author. It did quite well, but I wanted my own 100% work book on just the Baja missions, so I wrote my book: Baja California Land of Missions, in 2016.

Sunbelt (who published Harry's last books) liked it so well, they wanted to distribute it and they do not distribute books that are questionable or don't meet historian's approval. I don't know if Harry had anything to do with approving my book, but it is now in its 7th printing and I recently took 100 more copies down to Sunbelt as they wanted more.

Oh, by the way, I may be going to Harry's home soon... is there anything you want me to ask him?

del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 10-31-2019 at 03:58 PM

hey back up hotrod, "David could you comment on this.....any truth or simply BS?" is my ONLY comment, a google search of harry crosby brought me to this site and I politely asked for a comment. these AREN"T my comments and no this isn't jjj!
so get back to your palm tree nonsense and forget I ever asked!:rolleyes:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2019 at 04:09 PM

?? "Your comments" is what was in your post, what you commented on... I did not intend to imply those were your words any more than you presumed I was giving you the credit for them.
I always try to stay nice here and it isn't until someone posts insults or unkindness do I counter, but never with the hate I get here by one or two.
I don't care if you can't see the sea level with your own eyes, in Del Mar or Concepción Bay... but I have been more than generous in showing the proof it is not higher beyond the wet sand of high tides.
Were you in Del Mar, over 50 years ago? I was. The ocean is no more closer to covering streets there now than back then. I am teling you all to be happy and enjoy your lives. Why do some here think that is bad??? LOL

Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2019 at 08:42 PM

Del Mar, I tried to find this quote on the internet and could not. Can you help me out and please cite where you found this?

Thank you...

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2019 at 06:47 AM

Del Mar, you are class act. (sarcasm) You dredged up some disparaging comments that someone may or may not have said, in private, then went out of your way to repeat them in a public forum. I doubt if Crosby would care to have these words repeated, makes him look like some kind of prima donna. "ohhh, the agony, the genocide, waah waaah not worth my time to read that nonsense".
Kier's book is what it is; a fairly meticulously researched description of the Missions, written by an irrigation contractor. I don't think anyone expected it to win a Pulitzer prize. It does have some use as reference material. Face it, the haters on here can not stand that Kier has the audacity to point out that the sea level does not appear to be rising very much, and this does not jibe with your guilt-ridden too much carbon dioxide group think paradigm.

[Edited on 11-1-2019 by bajaric]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-1-2019 at 07:06 AM

Here's a photo when I chatted with Harry in 2003 taken by someone also at the Pyramid Resort for the first book signing. We chatted about my drive to Mission Santa María. I showed him my photos and he couldn't believe I got my 2001 Tacoma there!

L to R: Jimmy Smith (The Grinning Gargoyle), Harry Crosby, me.

neither smith nor crosby look happy to be photographed with DK....

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2019 at 07:45 AM

Jimmy was a funny guy and a good friend. Harry was always kind and interesting to visit with. No doubt that Jimmy is looking at me like "who is this guy" in the photo, lol! I was a guest at Jimmy's home in Los Barriles a year before and we went together up to Real de Santa Ana and to see güeríbo trees on the San Antonio de la Sierra road. He and I also got together at Dave Deal's Vista home. Deal was the Baja off-road cartoonist and creator of most of the characters in the Pixar film Cars. Dave Deal and Jimmy were friends back in the early Baja 1000 days.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2019 at 07:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Pacifico  

Del Mar, I tried to find this quote on the internet and could not. Can you help me out and please cite where you found this?

Thank you...

It is on the Internet, I just saw it this morning... the source is Mike Overcast (the baja ****** guy). If you recall all the made-up stuff that came from him in years past... then these things said about me become even more worthless.

As for my book, it simply and accurately tells the story of the discovery of California (Baja) and how Spain used the missions to occupy the land and its people. I detail each mission with who was there and where it was, with the correct names and dates... This is something most other books have not done or done correctly. I also have new facts on the Dominican missions never before published in a book and correct honest mistakes made by authors who did not have the newer discovered data. Finally, I talk about the lost missions... I think the book is both educational and entertaining. Apparently so do others because it is still selling far beyond my expectations.

paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2019 at 08:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Pacifico  

Thank you...

It is on the Internet, I just saw it this morning... the source is Mike Overcast (the baja ****** guy). If you recall all the made-up stuff that came from him in years past... then these things said about me become even more worthless.

As for my book, it simply and accurately tells the story of the discovery of California (Baja) and how Spain used the missions to occupy the land and its people. I detail each mission with who was there and where it was, with the correct names and dates... This is something most other books have not done or done correctly. I also have new facts on the Dominican missions never before published in a book and correct honest mistakes made by authors who did not have the newer discovered data. Finally, I talk about the lost missions... I think the book is both educational and entertaining. Apparently so do others because it is still selling far beyond my expectations.

And we own two of them...signed!
Now where is any book by 'Del Mar' available?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2019 at 08:28 AM

Thank you paranewbi! Very kind of you to jump in. I hope you found them both informative and interesting to read and have with you in Baja, as well as at home.

I guess it would be fair to counter the negative comments of this thread with a plug for my book?

Holiday shopping idea for Baja fans...

Now in its seventh printing with 2019 updates and photos: www.oldmissions.com (signed and free U.S. shipping)

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.