BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Leather seats in the desert?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-8-2019 at 09:56 AM
Leather seats in the desert?

I have been looking at moving up to an actual truck for my Baja adventures, and I have passed over a few with leather seats. I liked them in a car I used to drive, but I never took it for a long slow crawl in the desert.

Am I wrong to think that they will be hot and sweaty like vinyl, and how do you think they would hold up to abuse by me and a large dog?

[Edited on 9-8-2019 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 9-8-2019 at 10:03 AM

What type of dessert??.....as it will make a difference
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-8-2019 at 10:27 AM

Humble pie! Spell check couldn't help me on that one!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 9-8-2019 at 10:54 AM

I have leather seats
200+k miles since 2002
very comfortable in the heat
leather still looks like new (after some cleaning)

Harald Pietschmann
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 9-8-2019 at 11:03 AM

Gary,
Bailey is likely due to get her nails done.....tell the doggie spa to do the "Leather seat" package.... let Bailey pick her polish colour... and her side's seat cover. :saint:

Don't believe everything you think....
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-8-2019 at 11:13 AM

Bailey tore up the back seat of my Kia, not with her toenails, but by going after a chew toy that I mistakenly allowed her to have in the car!

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2019 at 11:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I have been looking at moving up to an actual truck for my Baja adventures, and I have passed over a few with leather seats. I liked them in a car I used to drive, but I never took it for a long slow crawl in the desert.

Am I wrong to think that they will be hot and sweaty like vinyl, and how do you think they would hold up to abuse by me and a large dog?

My truck has black leather seats with air coolers. Keeps your back nice and cool. They are the ta taas. Once you experience it you'll never buy a vehicle without it. Wife has an LR4 with black leather, and I despise driving it on hot or even warm days.

[Edited on 9-8-2019 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-8-2019 at 12:24 PM

Harald, thanks for the feedback, and I don't heed to check out your credentials for desert driving.

JZ, black interiors, or vehicles, are not on my shopping list! I never heard of the air cooled seats, but since my budget limits me to trucks that are at least ten years old, I doubt that I will find that option.

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2019 at 04:13 PM

You can always put some nice cloth covers on for a few $$...I've always had cloth but just got a truck with leather and they are nice, cover on the back for the two dogs.
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 9-8-2019 at 05:28 PM

Our 20 year old Explorer has black leather seats. I've done lots of hot weather desert driving and never considered it a problem.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-8-2019 at 08:43 PM

Leather fine in desert.
Leather good for kids n dogs, super easy to clean smooth surface.

Only chicks n fat people get AC in seats.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2019 at 08:46 PM

Something wrong with fat chicks? They keep you warm on cold nights..
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-8-2019 at 08:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

My truck has black leather seats with air coolers. Keeps your back nice and cool. They are the ta taas. Once you experience it you'll never buy a vehicle without it. Wife has an LR4 with black leather, and I despise driving it on hot or even warm days.

[Edited on 9-8-2019 by JZ]

Black leather is ridiculous

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-9-2019 at 07:46 AM

I love my leather seats but having said that I have a sheepskin seat cover that keeps my butt warm in winter and cool as a pepino in the summer....saludos amigo!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2019 at 07:49 AM

Since you're looking for a used truck, I wouldn't say no to one based upon the seat coverings if it is in good shape, at a good price, reasonable mileage, and otherwise is what you want. A vehicle with leather seats is probably a higher-end model with bells and whistles you might like, or not.

Buy one that has mostly paved, non-baja, highway mileage.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-9-2019 at 09:45 AM

Thanks to all for the feed back! It sounds like the upholstery won't be a deciding factor for me. I don't need a "nice" truck, I need a "work" truck with a lot of service life left in it.

BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2019 at 09:58 AM

The wet suit skin type seat covers @ Walmart work real good to wick away moisture due to wet bathing suits or sweat.

Es Todo Bueno
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2019 at 10:19 AM

Had no problem with temps or anything else in Baja with leather seats in my truck. In Winter, heated seats worked great. For the record, bells and whistles don't add value in resale. That and other factors might move a vehicle to the front of the line. My opinion.

You want a top of the line truck with base truck pricing. Enjoy the search.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2019 at 06:14 PM

I like leather because it is easy to clean dog hair off of. I use a seat cover with wooden beads that keeps me cool! :bounce::bounce:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.