BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: What is a reasonable drive time from San Felipe to Bahia de los Angeles in late December?
chrishaynesusa
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2019 at 10:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mr. Bills  
I will be 69 at the start of this trip and breaking camp at the first hint of light doesn't have the allure it once did. Neither does yogurt and granola. ;D

But I'm with you on the thermos full of coffee.

Realistically, getting this group packed and on the road much before 8 am will take exemplary cat herding skills.

I'll shoot for a 7:30 departure.

yup :spingrin::spingrin:
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 9-10-2019 at 11:09 PM

So Mr Bills, just out of curiosity, since that trip to Nuevo Mazatlan have you been back to Baja? Judging by your description on how to get to where you camped, sounds like that would be off the old Puertecitas Road which is still a dirt track. Or are you planning on retracing your route to that point which you could do but it would be kind of slow going for a while.

If you are taking the dirt out of Bahia across to El Arco, recommended, stop in at San Rafael, there is usually a sign but it is the only place the road comes close to the water. It a cool little beach and I have a loose plan to camp out there the week between Christmas and New Years. If you see a gringo and a cute little Mexi chick camped on the beach in a white Tacoma, come on down and say hi, like to meet you guys.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2019 at 12:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Chapala to the L.A. Bay jcn. and on to L.A. Bay is about 70 miles, so 1:30 max.

about 2 hours.
Mr. Bills
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2019 at 10:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
So Mr Bills, just out of curiosity, since that trip to Nuevo Mazatlan have you been back to Baja? Judging by your description on how to get to where you camped, sounds like that would be off the old Puertecitas Road which is still a dirt track. Or are you planning on retracing your route . . . ?

I've been to Baja, but not San Felipe or the route south from there. Other than a vacation trips to the resort areas its been many years since I've done any real exploration there.

No need to trace the old road south from San Felipe, but I would like to see the beach at Nuevo Mazatlan and take some photos of how it looks now. I've started going though some old family photos for shots of our 1965 camp and/or Luis and his house.

I'm not the trail boss for this trip, just a participant. We have a route and a few hotel/camp reservations that dictate when we must be at certain places, but the group is fine tuning the itinerary now hence my request for first-hand knowledge of road conditions, realistic drive times, and perhaps must see places en route and the definitely avoids too.

At least one of us likes to drive from dawn until dark and at least one of us likes to stop to smell the flowers and enjoy the culture, with the rest of us at one extreme or the other or someplace in the middle depending on the circumstances. But we've all been offroading/overlanding friends for years so we'll work it out as always.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-13-2019 at 07:17 PM
Area code 530

Mr bills, I sent a private message (U2U), but just in case you aren't set up to receive them, I thought I should post here. There aren't a lot of us in 530, so if you are near Grass Valley, we may be neighbors!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2019 at 07:50 PM

Day light is not a big factor. It's an easy 5 hour drive. The road into BoLA is very lightly traveled and in great shape.

No issues driving it at night if you don't go too fast (50ish). We drove it at night 2 weeks ago.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

mjs
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2019 at 12:13 AM

There is new road construction starting at approx k37 just past Delicas. Lots of detours for new roadbed work at the vados. Would expect it to add a little bit of time to your trip.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-14-2019 at 09:51 AM
In 1972, Luis Castellanos Moreno, founder of Nuevo Mazatlan

Luis (looking his best, not drinking), me (at age 14), and his wife, Felicitas.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2019 at 10:05 AM
Nuevo Mazatlan in or around 1967

Before Luis planted the trees at Nuevo Mazatlan, he built these cabañas to camp in.

Luis and Corsadio

Luis and my sister

Luis showing me his guitar

Luis lets my dad play it.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mr. Bills
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2019 at 10:08 AM

I am stunned.

I opened today's post and saw the photo and didn't even need to read the caption to know the man on the left.

The photo must have been taken 6-7 years after I last saw "Don Luis." Now that I've read more on the history of Nuevo Mazatlan I realize that when my family camped there he had just acquired the beach.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2019 at 10:15 AM

It wasn't long before he gave the place a more touristy and colorful name than Agua de Chale!

Do you know the story about "Charley the Chinaman" (how the place became known as Agua de Charley and in Mexican Spanish: Agua de Chale)?

On this map from 1919, I circled "Agua Charley":

[Edited on 9-14-2019 by David K]

RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 9-15-2019 at 04:04 PM

We have driven to Los Cabos a few times recently. (last 3 years) They are currently fixing the road (Mexico 5) south of Delicia (KM38) to Puertocitos. (Again) it’s not in bad shape with sone detours around construction. Still lots of 18 wheeler traffic going by so the road over to HWY 1 can’t be too bad. We drive from our place at KM56 to LA Bay or San Ignacio in one day. First gas south of Gonzaga is in Jesus and Maria after you reach HWY 1
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.