Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Adding a vehicle to SENTRI
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2019 at 05:54 AM
Adding a vehicle to SENTRI

We applied to add a vehicle to our SENTRI account a month ago. Posted on the Trusted Traveler Program website was that it may take 5 to 8 months for processing. Another place said 3 to 5 months. This morning we got our approval - just about one month.

Something in the government system works pretty well.

John M
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2019 at 08:07 AM

Went through Sentri at Otay Mesa on Labor Day weekend.

Took 30 secs to cross. Sentri is the ta taas.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

ZipLine
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2019 at 12:16 PM

My experience through Sentri/GOES is from 7 to 30 minutes. Depends on time of day. Going through regular on my moto - 5 minutes max and that is politely waiting for a car to wave me in.

Get a moto and save the environment, you greenies!

I'd like that 30 second pass!
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2019 at 05:24 PM

We sent Sentri renewal early March and still waiting for 'conditional approval'. In the meantime wife just got a new car and while we wait for conditional approval we are unable to add a new vehicle or delete the old one online at this point. I have to visit a customer in Otay Mesa tomorrow so I am going to stop by the office and speak to someone and see what they say in person about how to delete vehicle that we will be selling soon.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2019 at 06:21 PM
similar issue with deleting a vehicle

I tried to delete our old SENTRI vehicle - followed all the steps laid out, tried it 2 or 3 times - the option to delete wasn't on our "Dashboard" as the instructions said it would be.

It was only after our new vehicle was approved that I had the option to delete the older one.

John
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 9-12-2019 at 09:44 PM

On a similar but different note, how big a deal is a cracked windshield? It’s about 7” long in the lower passenger side corner. I have an appointment to have it replaced on the 23rd in El Centro and figured if they hassled me I could tell them I’m on my way right now to get it replaced with some documentation to back it up.

Problem is I have to all the sudden cross Monday to have something notarized and mail it. This will be the first time I have ever crossed with my new GE card and I don’t want to get the first warning on the first trip. From what I was told the first crossing is when you go to secondary for the inspection. My banker told me she got her card a year ago and has yet to be pulled into secondary and she goes all the time.

Suffer thru 1 more regular lanes crossing or?

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2019 at 08:53 AM
first inspection

Our experience is what you thought - we were told that the first time using our SENTRI we would likely be directed to secondary. I didn't quite make it that far before trouble was brewing - I hadn't read the rules closely enough - rules that say we must have a front license plate. So - first time at the booth we got a stern warning about the plate and CBP's ability to revoke our SENTRI - then we were sent to secondary for the vehicle first inspection. That went without a hitch. Now we have the front plate firmly attached.

Maybe Arizona plated vehicles have different mandates - In that state you only need one plate.

John M
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2019 at 10:55 AM

We didn't get sent to secondary on 1st use.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2019 at 02:45 PM

Today I stopped by Otay Mesa Sentri/GE Enrollment Center (only one still open in San Diego) to see if I could speak with someone face to face and get some clear information on add/delete new/old vehicle since that option was not showing on my online dashboard.

I was greeted outside the front door by a sign stating that if you do not have a scheduled appointment do not even come inside and instead call 619.690.7600 and select option 5 and you will be connected to someone who can assist you with any questions or to schedule an appointment.

I called the number and after a short 4 minute wait was connected to a person. He was not very helpful with info, he told me I could click on one of the other trusted traveler program links on dashboard landing page to add vehicle which is not correct, I know because I clicked every last thing on my dashboard at least twice already. He did tell me that to delete a vehicle I had to make an appointment and come in person. The car I intend to delete is going to my nephew in Utah so not too concerned about that at this point. It would be nice to add new car but I suspect I will have to wait until renewal is approved. In the meantime I will use my truck to go to and fro until that time.

Bottom line is that if you are thinking about heading to office without an appointment to take care of biz (something you used to be able to do) fuhgettaboutit

YMMV :dudette:

MAGA

apple
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2019 at 02:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
On a similar but different note, how big a deal is a cracked windshield? It’s about 7” long in the lower passenger side corner.

they don't have sentri window stickers anymore, and all the reports i've read say they no longer car about cracks.

BUT, even if you do get sent to secondary, it's often still quicker than going through the regular lane
tjsue
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2019 at 09:39 AM

There is a CBP office at the SD Airport, and it's only a five minute wait to talk to someone, and that was without an appointment.

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2019 at 06:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by tjsue  
There is a CBP office at the SD Airport, and it's only a five minute wait to talk to someone, and that was without an appointment.

Closed August 30th. Only office is at Otay Mesa.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/border-baja-califo...

MAGA

tjsue
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2019 at 11:26 AM

Well, at least it's only at 16 week wait for a GE appt. I'm just waiting on my new passport to arrive, so I can fill in the number of it, pay for it, and make my interview appt.

And I can use my expired Sentri with proof of renewal, so I won't have to wait in line.

[Edited on 9-28-2019 by tjsue]

[Edited on 9-28-2019 by tjsue]
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 9-28-2019 at 12:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  

There is Calexico and a few weeks ago was only a less than two week wait for interview and 3 weeks from application to approval.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2019 at 11:26 AM

My bad. Only San Diego office left open is...........

Wife and I are looking forward to a trip to Calexico once our conditional approval comes thru. :dudette: 7 months and counting

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  

There is Calexico and a few weeks ago was only a less than two week wait for interview and 3 weeks from application to approval.

MAGA

Xplor

[*] posted on 10-8-2019 at 03:20 PM

FYI, my recent experience was the following: applied for Sentri on Sept 9th. Recd conditional approval 3 or 4 days later. I went to their website to schedule the interview appt and the next available was mid Dec. Dec is a busy month for me so I didn't schedule. I waited a couple of days and looked again and Sept 25 was available. I 'm guessing someone canceled.

I got there on time (Otay Mesa), waited about 25 minutes. The Border Patrol agent ask me why I was applying for Sentri. I told him volunteer work and exploring in Baja. I told the agent that I thought I should of applied for Global Entry (GE) because that would of satisfied my needs of gaining access to the Sentri lanes and I hear GE takes less time to process. He said "well you'll have to start all over". I said no, no lets finish the Sentri process. He ask me where I work, he had me verify my home address and that's about it. To my surprise he said that I should recd the Sentri card in two weeks and to activate it. Then at the end of the appt, he said that he added me to the GE programs as well. I recd the Sentri card in about a week.
He did say that the first time I go through the Sentri lane they will wave me over to secondary to do an inspection.

For my wife and kid, I'll go the GE route.
apple
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2019 at 05:54 PM

Until your wife and kid get GE, cross at Otay and drop them at the ped crossing and pick them up on the other side at the circle.
DawnPatrol
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2019 at 07:22 PM

I got my added vehicle approved in 3 days......
must be lucky
Alan
The Wonderer
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2019 at 10:58 AM

I too added a vehicle in less then a week.
tjsue
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2019 at 11:17 AM

I paid this morning, now I wait.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.