BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Would you take someone to your favorite fishing hole?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-12-2019 at 01:20 PM
Would you take someone to your favorite fishing hole?

This has nothing to do with fishing, but with sharing! The analogy is when I used to fish farm ponds and streams in northern California.

No matter how much a friend promises to keep it to themselves, they usually will come back with a friend, who also promises to keep the secret! Pretty soon, it is fished out, or there are keep out signs!

I feel the same way about some of the ranch roads in Baja! I am thankful for the information I have gained from this forum, and it is the primary attraction for me. I have even tried to contribute what I can about conditions on traditional old roads, commonly used off road trails and campsites.

Having said that, there is at least one pretty neat ranch road that I have used, that would probably become "over used" very quickly if I posted it here! I do not want to promote more locked gates!

Now getting back to sharing with friends, would you take someone else with you on an obscure, but desirable route?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
vandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2019 at 02:02 PM

Only people sworn against motors.
Nothing worse than noise, waves, stink
and dangerous negligence to make my
favorite spots untenable.

I noticed that this year's list of things to bring
to Mexico include a 12v fence charger to
keep dogs out of camp.

Good luck keeping it private!
I remember cruising every back road I could find
in my Toyota pickup in the 1980s.
I thought I had it made until I saw "Baja Catch".
Dang!
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 9-12-2019 at 02:27 PM

NO
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 9-12-2019 at 02:44 PM

I share over a campfire, after I know you. I surf and have watched many places become ghettos over the years. I also perfer that people do their own research than depend on others. I give you the name of the place and you can figure out how to get there.
A two track becomes a lane, the lane becomes a road, pretty soon it gets graded. Something about bad roads and good people. The more people that take the road the better it becomes. If you have a business, you promote it. You will live with consequences of your promotion. People that go once in a while that promote the place don't have to live with whatever happens to the place.
I see a major difference between sharing over a campfire and posting it on the web.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2019 at 03:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
This has nothing to do with fishing, but with sharing! The analogy is when I used to fish farm ponds and streams in northern California.

No matter how much a friend promises to keep it to themselves, they usually will come back with a friend, who also promises to keep the secret! Pretty soon, it is fished out, or there are keep out signs!

I feel the same way about some of the ranch roads in Baja! I am thankful for the information I have gained from this forum, and it is the primary attraction for me. I have even tried to contribute what I can about conditions on traditional old roads, commonly used off road trails and campsites.

Having said that, there is at least one pretty neat ranch road that I have used, that would probably become "over used" very quickly if I posted it here! I do not want to promote more locked gates!

Now getting back to sharing with friends, would you take someone else with you on an obscure, but desirable route?

How did you find your favorite fishing hole?

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2019 at 03:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  

I see a major difference between sharing over a campfire and posting it on the web.

Exactly. Share with good friends, face to face. I have favorite Baja spots I seldom talk about or take photos of.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2019 at 04:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  

How did you find your favorite fishing hole?

Most of my favorites I found exploring by myself, many of them on a bicycle before I was old enough to drive!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 9-12-2019 at 07:10 PM

Gary et al,
Last year a friend visited me in Bahia Asuncion and we shared three days of riding. I took him on my favourite rides.... some areas have never been explored by motorcycle to my knowledge.

After one particular day, I made it clear I did not want him to share the GPS tracks of some of the rides I had turned him on to. He seemed surprised and offended with my request....and indicated that he would share the tracks....and when I made it clear that I did not want him to, it certainly cooled the conversation.

But this guy waypointed every tienda and dog I showed him on the tour through town and which ones had what....so he was a bit zealous with his GPSing....

Lately I have noticed some Nomads asking for others to plan all his adventurous riding....rather than show some initiative to not be spoonfed where to go and what to do in Baja....:rolleyes:

"Outing" special spots is something I don't do anymore.

I have even found some of my photographs from my ADV rider and Baja Nomad ride reports included in other folks' ride reports.....I don't write them anymore.

"Find your own fishing hole" is my current thinking on the issue.

Don't believe everything you think....
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-12-2019 at 08:33 PM

Don’t share locations and info with people like DK and Jizz. They are all over the web flapping their lips, sharing locations, posting maps and photos willy nilly.
The best places in baja cannot be driven to, and are best kept secret.

Loose lips sink ships!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2019 at 08:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Don’t share locations and info with people like DK and Jizz. They are all over the web flapping their lips, sharing locations, posting maps and photos willy nilly.
The best places in baja cannot be driven to, and are best kept secret.

Loose lips sink ships!

This the only site I post about Baja you numbnut. I'll leave Facebook to you and the others.

The very best places in Baja can only be accessed by boat. Too bad you'll never see them.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2019 at 10:25 PM

Pretty simple when I take a friend to secret places on our dirt bikes...
I request that he hands over his gps. If he refuses, well, we don't go.
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2019 at 05:01 AM

In my old age, I guess I've figured out that nothing belongs to me. I can caretake a possession or place, and maybe a stranger, but I know life is not in my control.

The egocentrism of selfishness is not an attribute, it is paranoia.
I guess that's why I was taught to share; paranoia is way to busy.

I still catch 6th street reef in Del Mar with no one out occasionally.
On those days I'm glad I shared it with all my buddies fifty years ago and surf with those memories. Come on out.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2019 at 07:35 AM

Paranewbie, this is not about selfishness, or being unwilling to share. It is about respect....for the land, and the active rancher who caretakes a crucial part of it!

For all I know, it may no longer be open. It has been five years since I found myself on it, I will check it out again this fall.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-13-2019 at 08:23 AM

Isn't Baja Nomad our campfire and aren't Baja Nomads our friends? I guess I am just so much the optimist that I think people here are good people. Nomads are not the ones who leave trash behind or paint graffiti on rocks.

That said, anytime someone has shared with me a site that I haven't been to and then asked me to not post the GPS for it on the Internet, I have complied.

What I don't get is what are the few people, who are so against sharing, doing on Nomad (a place to get information on Baja locations)? Taking without giving back is a bit uncool. It's like they are hall monitors here waiting to chastise us for not being what they think is a good Baja traveler. One even likes to tell us how we are to enjoy Baja (walk there only and don't eat so much).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2019 at 08:59 AM

There's a nice spot on the water close to where I normally go every winter that is free. All the surrounding places are 10 dollars a night or something like that. Last winter there were a lot more people there than usual, sort of ruining the attractiveness of the area. People weren't hauling out their trash, others were setting up barricades, staking out their territory, and arguments ensued. Turns out the fact that it is a free spot went sort of viral on the Baja traveler Internet.

And, I used to surf and remember when there actually were good breaks that only veteran Baja surfers knew about. Of course, that's long gone, thanks to the Internet.

You post stuff here and it could end up on Tripadvisor dot com next week.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
geoffff
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2019 at 09:31 AM

Hi... reformed oversharer here...

I love discovering obscure places to explore, and have in turn wanted to help others experience this joy as well.

Over the years, I've received a number of requests to remove GPS coordinates and other specific location-identifying information I've posted about "sensitive" locations. After my initial feelings of outrage, I turn it around in my head for a while, and pretty much always come to agree that, yes, perhaps some caution is justified. In the end, I do retract these specific identifying details.

I have fantasized about writing my ultimate backroad guidebook to Baja, but I've come to realize this isn't necessarily a good idea.

I do share a lot of GPS coordinates in my posts and website, but not for rock art and places like that.

When people share location treasures with me, I am grateful for the gift. I do my best to respect this trust by not oversharing.

As for sharing details here on BajaNomad - this forum is Google-searchable. A forum post on BajaNomad is a share to the whole internet.

Maybe it's better to share GPS coordinates of more sensitive locations only by PM?

[Edited on 9-13-2019 by geoffff]

2004 Sportsmobile 4x4
http://octopup.org/baja
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2019 at 09:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by geoffff  
Hi... reformed oversharer here...

I love discovering obscure places to explore, and have in turn wanted to help others experience this joy as well.

Over the years, I've received a number of requests to remove GPS coordinates and other specific location-identifying information I've posted about "sensitive" locations. After my initial feelings of outrage, I turn it around in my head for a while, and pretty much always come to agree that, yes, perhaps some caution is justified. In the end, I do retract these specific identifying details.

I have fantasized about writing my ultimate backroad guidebook to Baja, but I've come to realize this isn't necessarily a good idea.

I do share a lot of GPS coordinates in my posts and website, but not for rock art and places like that.

When people share location treasures with me, I am grateful for the gift. I do my best to respect this trust by not oversharing.

As for sharing details here on BajaNomad - this forum is Google-searchable. A forum post on BajaNomad is a share to the whole internet.

Maybe it's better to share GPS coordinates of more sensitive locations only by PM?

[Edited on 9-13-2019 by geoffff]

I have been to a lot of the places you have posted. I appreciate you doing that. It seems as long as the road is bad, you won’t have to worry about crowds. Most people don’t want to scratch up their nice trucks or risk getting stuck, to get to remote spots.

I don’t give any info to “ Overlander types” from Europe anymore. They all have blogs and even if you ask to keep it quite, it seems to end up on the web.

I don’t share my fishing spots on Vancouver Island though.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 9-13-2019 at 09:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Isn't Baja Nomad our campfire and aren't Baja Nomads our friends? I guess I am just so much the optimist that I think people here are good people. Nomads are not the ones who leave trash behind or paint graffiti on rocks.

What I don't get is what are the few people, who are so against sharing, doing on Nomad (a place to get information on Baja locations)? Taking without giving back is a bit uncool. It's like they are hall monitors here waiting to chastise us for not being what they think is a good Baja traveler. One even likes to tell us how we are to enjoy Baja (walk there only and don't eat so much).

To use your campfire metaphor.... I enjoy a nice fire , but don't think it has to have a cord of wood on it to enjoy it the ambience.... , and don't want every swinging dick shoving me aside to roast their weenie.

Optimism has its limits....having poor boundaries has its liabilities.

And not every Nomad is my friend.... I am not that naive or needy.

I have seen Nomads throw their beer cans willy-nilly ... and the cyber equivalent of graffiti on rocks might be GPS tracks all over the internet.... different sorts of trash.... (one man's garbage is another's treasure....blah blah....)

This isn't about the moral failing of not sharing every thought that bounces out of one's brain.... it's about how we think and feel about how to manage our favourite fishing holes ...

Splattering maps and tracks all over the place doesn't make one a better person, David....it is helpful for some and offensive to others. It is a bit arrogant to try to take the high road here.

Actually, you sound like a hall monitor judging what and who are cool.... and who give and/or take....

Keep up with your map-mania....some love it, some don't pay much attention to it, and others say....whatever.

Maps display boundaries.....perhaps some sitting around this fire can examine their own boundaries.:light:

Don't believe everything you think....
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 9-13-2019 at 10:27 AM

im sure glad thirty years ago two guys named Neil and Gene weren't shy about sharing a spot :D
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-13-2019 at 10:31 AM

Why are you on Nomad if not to gain something? If you don't want to see more Baja on the Internet, then avoid Baja websites. Please don't lecture the rest of us on what is moral just because you don't want to share anymore. Your trip report with dtbushpilot was very nice (except for your busting your foot, ouch). I think you made some nice contacts here on Nomad. Is it fair that once you found paradise the door to it must be slammed closed? Baja should not be easy but it should also not be closed. Bad roads bring good people, after all. Good roads and not the Internet is what brings in bad people.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.