Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Rod position when trolling
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

question.gif posted on 9-15-2019 at 07:04 AM
Rod position when trolling

Interesting question popped up yesterday while trolling for mackinaw in Nor Cal.
I set the rods so that the guides faced the back of the boat, my usual setup. My fishing partner casually mentioned when in Baja, I do the opposite. He was right but I'll be darned if I could come up with a reason. I think that when in Baja, there is a chance of a large fish and it would require that the rod be taken out of the holder and turned around to get the reel up.
For you rod builders out there, is there a right/wrong here?
BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2019 at 07:32 AM

If roller guides are being used, then the guides and reel have to be up. If using conventional ring guides, then it doesn't necessarily matter. I build my rods with gimbal butts so that they stay in my desired position.
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2019 at 10:17 AM

To me it depends on the reel. Conventional guides up trolling. Spinning reels guides down. I really don´t know if it matters unless (like mentioned above)you have roller guides?
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2019 at 11:25 AM

Or you can build an acid rod and eliminate all twisting. :biggrin:

In Memory of E-57
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-15-2019 at 04:10 PM
Trolling this forum!

Your rod has little bearing on successful trolling, it is all about the bait!

You can't go wrong with an offering of 'climate/sea level change', or maybe throw out an 'FMM necessary?'

If still no action, chum with a layer of either 'pro' or 'anti' Trump, and you will even get the bottom feeders to bite! I recommend 'catch and release'! ;D

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2019 at 09:24 PM

I don't know , and the guys you should ask have been banned 🤣
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2019 at 07:41 AM

I split the difference and hang the rod to take rod flex out of the equation when a toothy fish hits. In this photo it was trolling for wahoo at Las Animas early one morning when the full moon was setting.

dsc06906--2-.jpg - 249kB

[Edited on 9-16-2019 by bill erhardt]

[Edited on 9-16-2019 by bill erhardt]
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2019 at 04:43 PM

Bill: Now that's just too cool for school. How the heck to you keep from rat's nesting? Hammer the drag down? When the clicker goes off it must be a hoot.
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2019 at 05:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Santiago  
Bill: Now that's just too cool for school. How the heck to you keep from rat's nesting? Hammer the drag down? When the clicker goes off it must be a hoot.

The reel is spooled with 80# spectra tied to SS 49 strand leader crimped to 9/0 or 10/0 hook. Strike is set at 20#-22# and I troll at 10 - 12 knots with drag set at strike. As soon as a wahoo strikes it is immediately into the 20-22 drag. Better chance of hooking up in bony mouth. The first run may be 200 yds or more but the drag will usually stop him before risk of spooling. And, the clicker does scream at a frequency like none other. I got five like this yesterday outside Mag Bay and four the day before......
This pic is an earlier fish.

026.JPG - 160kB

[Edited on 9-17-2019 by bill erhardt]
BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2019 at 07:23 PM

Nice hoo Bill!!

Fixed! ;D

[Edited on 9-18-2019 by BajaParrothead]
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2019 at 08:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaParrothead  
Nice whoo Bill!!

I have no idea if Bill's 'whoo' is nice or not, but that that thing hanging from the rope is a 'hoo'.

baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 9-18-2019 at 09:51 AM

Bill I,m still available for that deck hand job that you haven,t posted yet.....a resume will be made available at a moments notice
Nice fish,never got one of those but am capable:)
Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-18-2019 at 10:04 AM

99% of my fishing has been in northern California, or Alaska, but I was fortunate enough to have caught a couple of Wahoo near Manzanillo.

I think that pound for pound, they are the strongest fish I have encountered!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2019 at 04:30 AM

I once lost my rod, reel, and tackle once by not having it secure while trolling. Normally I hold the rod while trolling but occasionally I put it between my knees to button up the coat or most anything. The strike was so vicious that the rod flew over the side and raced backwards in the clear water before I could decide whether to quickly dive for it or not. I circled back with the boat but lost sight of it completely. It couldn't have been in more than 20-30 feet of water.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2019 at 04:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
I once lost my rod, reel, and tackle once by not having it secure while trolling. Normally I hold the rod while trolling but occasionally I put it between my knees to button up the coat or most anything. The strike was so vicious that the rod flew over the side and raced backwards in the clear water before I could decide whether to quickly dive for it or not. I circled back with the boat but lost sight of it completely. It couldn't have been in more than 20-30 feet of water.

You could start a thread on lost rigs left unattended....
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2019 at 03:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
99% of my fishing has been in northern California, or Alaska, but I was fortunate enough to have caught a couple of Wahoo near Manzanillo.

I think that pound for pound, they are the strongest fish I have encountered!

Pargo will give you a run for your money also.

Making America Great Again

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.