Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Campo Rene questions
clubfred
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2019 at 02:58 PM
Campo Rene questions

Last time I posted a question about Campo Rene, it started a keruffle. Hope to avoid that this time!

So, Hubs and I are heading back down to Estero Coyote in late January,early February. We'll be towing a small travel trailer and bringing our small tin boat. We have a couple of friends who will be coming with us this time who may or may not bring their travel trailer. If they don't, they're hoping to rent the nice palapa that was built a few years back. Does anyone know if it's still available to rent? Does anyone have contact info for Campo Rene? The page on their website shows an error message.

Also, any recent news about Campo Rene would be much appreciated! The last time we were there (2017), we were a little sad to find that all the waterfront spots had been rented long term by large motorhomes. (I know, I know, great for the owners of CR, but we can still be a tiny bit sad for ourselves, lol). Much sadder, was that we watched said motorhomers let their dog run free--chitting in the mangroves, chasing the protected birds. Happy news is that fishing was FANTASTIC and we saw trillions of baby fish in the estuary--very cool! A big, and welcome, improvement.

Any recent trip reports would be awesome! Thanks!

~ Kristene
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2019 at 04:28 PM

Last year I was there in February. They were renting the palapas then. There are 3 nice spots there for camping. As you said, they are booked for long term use. I know one of the couples that stays there for a couple of months. Very nice people from northern B.C. They always have a fun happy hour, you should drop by. Their dog is huge but very friendly, he will grow on you😎
clubfred
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2019 at 04:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mulege Canuck  
Last year I was there in February. They were renting the palapas then. There are 3 nice spots there for camping. As you said, they are booked for long term use. I know one of the couples that stays there for a couple of months. Very nice people from northern B.C. They always have a fun happy hour, you should drop by. Their dog is huge but very friendly, he will grow on you😎

Thanks, Mulege Canuck. I guess we'll plan to be off the waterfront again, sigh. Good to hear the palapa is still available--now I just need a contact email.

BTW, I LOVE dogs. I do not like owners who let their dogs run wild in a wildlife refuge and do not clean up after them. The birds in that estuary are supposed to be protected, no one should let their dog run and chase them. No one should let their dog run wild in any wildlife refuge.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-15-2019 at 05:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by clubfred  
Quote: Originally posted by Mulege Canuck  

Thanks, Mulege Canuck. I guess we'll plan to be off the waterfront again, sigh. Good to hear the palapa is still available--now I just need a contact email.

BTW, I LOVE dogs. I do not like owners who let their dogs run wild in a wildlife refuge and do not clean up after them. The birds in that estuary are supposed to be protected, no one should let their dog run and chase them. No one should let their dog run wild in any wildlife refuge.

It’s Mexico, land of leash free dogs. Those leash free gringo dogs are incompetent predators. The coyotes are numerous at campo Rene, they can actually catch the birds. Don’t worry about those city slicker gringo dogs, they can only catch fleas. Coyotes will catch the gringo dogs before the gringo dogs catch a bird.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2019 at 06:36 PM

Well said goat.
clubfred
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2019 at 07:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
It’s Mexico, land of leash free dogs. Those leash free gringo dogs are incompetent predators. The coyotes are numerous at campo Rene, they can actually catch the birds. Don’t worry about those city slicker gringo dogs, they can only catch fleas. Coyotes will catch the gringo dogs before the gringo dogs catch a bird.

I'm not new to Mexico and leash-free dogs but why is it okay to go into someone else's country and do things you wouldn't do in your own country? In Canada, if there's an area where wildlife is protected, we're supposed to respect that, including not letting our dogs harass the wildlife. If I respect the wildlife in my home country, I'm not going to travel to another country and disrespect their wildlife, just like I wouldn't toss trash out the car window just because it's not "my" land.

ETA: My parents taught me that you should be on your best behaviour when you're a guest in someone else's home. I apply that to countries, as well. I know not everyone subscribes to this philosophy but I do and will continue to do so. It's a privilege for me to be a guest in Mexico, that's how I see it.

[Edited on 9-16-2019 by clubfred]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-15-2019 at 08:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by clubfred  

I'm not new to Mexico and leash-free dogs but why is it okay to go into someone else's country and do things you wouldn't do in your own country? In Canada, if there's an area where wildlife is protected, we're supposed to respect that, including not letting our dogs harass the wildlife. If I respect the wildlife in my home country, I'm not going to travel to another country and disrespect their wildlife, just like I wouldn't toss trash out the car window just because it's not "my" land.

The great thing about rural open space is that dogs get to run around and chase things! Don’t worry, the dogs eventually tire themselves or realize the futility of chasing birds, and The birds got wings, they can fly to the next beach if rover is bothering them

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2019 at 09:07 AM

"The great thing about rural open space is that dogs get to run around and chase things! Don’t worry, the dogs eventually tire themselves or realize the futility of chasing birds, and The birds got wings, they can fly to the next beach if rover is bothering them."

Let dogs chase a ball or a stick. Allowing your dog to harass birds in their habitat - nesting, foraging, migration rest stop - is ignorant. The campo is a public place - not rural open space - and dogs should be under control of their owners. The estuary is ecologically sensitive. Gonna drive on the beach and run over turtle nests too? Dump your RV sewage in the estuary?
clubfred
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2019 at 09:19 AM

The great thing about rural open space is that dogs get to run around and chase things! Don’t worry, the dogs eventually tire themselves or realize the futility of chasing birds, and The birds got wings, they can fly to the next beach if rover is bothering them.

Okay, let me try to make this very clear one last time. First I love dogs. I've owned many dogs. I worked as a veterinary assistant for five years. I've volunteered with vets at home, in Baja, and other places around the world. I have been a volunteer with the SPCA since 2013. I love when dogs get to run off leash--in places where it's good for them to do so. And I am okay with dogs being off leash in general if they are well trained and their owners clean up after them.

I am not okay with dogs being off leash and harassing wildlife, especially in environmentally sensitive/protected areas. Estero Coyote is not simply a "rural open space". The entire estuary is part of the Vizcaino Biosphere, and a Unesco World Site--one of only 40 in all of Mexico. Many migratory birds use the estuary, some are endangered. It's a critical site for wild birds.

https://en.unesco.org/biosphere/lac/vizcaino

If you do even a small amount of research, you'll see that dogs don't need to catch or kill birds to harm them. Chasing is extremely stressful for many wild birds, especially migratory birds, not to mention endangered birds. There's growing evidence that even dogs on leashes can be harmful to bird populations.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/dog-walking-irks-birds/#

Many national parks in the US and Canada do not allow dogs off leash at all. If I were to let my dog run free in Joshua Tree National Park, for example, (another environmentally sensitive area), my dog and I would be kicked out of the park, at the very least. There are sound, scientific and biological reasons these rules are in place. Just because there aren't park rangers in Estero Coyote, doesn't mean it should be a free for all. Just because it's someone else's country, doesn't mean tourists can or should do whatever they want.

I'm not the fun police. If someone wants to let their dog run free, great! Find a place where that's okay to do, not inside a protected biological reserve, train your dog not to chase wildlife, and PLEASE clean up after your dog.
clubfred
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2019 at 09:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
Let dogs chase a ball or a stick. Allowing your dog to harass birds in their habitat - nesting, foraging, migration rest stop - is ignorant. The campo is a public place - not rural open space - and dogs should be under control of their owners. The estuary is ecologically sensitive. Gonna drive on the beach and run over turtle nests too? Dump your RV sewage in the estuary?

Thank you! Exactly.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-16-2019 at 09:26 AM

Well I have a dog in this fight, a 90 pounder that loves to run and swim. I agree with clubfred, and to the best of my ability, I will keep my girl from being a problem to people or critters!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-16-2019 at 09:29 AM

:light:

Did hell freeze over, or has the Devil Goat just been schooled on being good to the environment?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2019 at 09:53 AM

Nope, Hell didn't freeze over. That's just Goat being Goat. Hopefully others are more aware of their pets now though. Campo Rene is a wonderful place with lots of areas for dogs and people to run.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2019 at 10:05 AM

Considering how many little bags of dog crap I pick up on my morning walks around my neighborhood, I doubt most dog owners even care about anyone but themselves.

We even have dog waste stations (that I pay for!), but I guess that's not enough to convince dog owners to be good neighbors. Sad.

John

[Edited on 9-16-2019 by John Harper]
clubfred
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2019 at 10:54 AM

Thanks for chiming in, everyone! And hats off to the pet owners who make an effort to respect their neighbours and the environment!

I've been visiting Estero Coyote since 1999. It's wonderful to see how much healthier the estuary is now and I hope this trend continues. Kudos to the people of Punta Abreojos and all the scientists and conservationists who worked to protect the estuary. It's such a beautiful and unique place!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-16-2019 at 03:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Considering how many little bags of dog crap I pick up on my morning walks around my neighborhood, I doubt most dog owners even care about anyone but themselves.

We even have dog waste stations (that I pay for!), but I guess that's not enough to convince dog owners to be good neighbors. Sad.

John

[Edited on 9-16-2019 by John Harper]

On one point I will agree: it is ludicrous for dog owners to pick up poop w/ plastic bag, then walk a block with that poop-filled bag and litter that same bag. I see poop-filled bags littered all over the neighborhood. WTF is up with that?

Woke!

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2019 at 05:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
:light:

Did hell freeze over, or has the Devil Goat just been schooled on being good to the environment?

He's trolling them. I got a little chuckle out of them getting worked up about it.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2019 at 07:13 PM

John

On one point I will agree: it is ludicrous for dog owners to pick up poop w/ plastic bag, then walk a block with that poop-filled bag and litter that same bag. I see poop-filled bags littered all over the neighborhood. WTF is up with that?

I know, they go to the trouble of carrying the little bags, picking up warm
steamy stools, bagging that crap, and then not completing the mission. They'll never make it in the SEAL teams. We even have doggy trash cans for poop on every frickin block!

I even picked up a bag full of cat litter the other morning, WTF????

John

[Edited on 9-17-2019 by John Harper]
clubfred
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2019 at 08:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
He's trolling them. I got a little chuckle out of them getting worked up about it.

Yeah, that's hilarious isn't it? There's nothing I enjoy more, as a woman who's spent her life constantly being dismissed and ridiculed by men, than to have a man use a subject I care about for social sport. So funny. I can't stop laughing. Lol. :D:D:D

[Edited on 9-17-2019 by clubfred]
clubfred
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2019 at 08:55 AM

I know, they go to the trouble of carrying the little bags, picking up warm steamy stools, bagging that crap, and then not completing the mission. They'll never make it in the SEAL teams. We even have doggy trash cans for poop on every frickin block!

I even picked up a bag full of cat litter the other morning, WTF????

John[Edited on 9-17-2019 by John Harper]

It's most frustrating for responsible pet owners--and we seem to be the minority. I make sure to get written references from places where I stay with my cats so that I can show people when I try to book accommodation :(
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.