Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Campo Rene questions
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2019 at 09:37 AM

Well...I was trying to keep from chiming in as the topic was about Campo Rene...but when it turned completely into a discussion of pet excrement I just can't resist any longer; my apologies to the poster.

I live in an area surrounded by state park trails in San Diego. There are an array of signs of 'don'ts' including the obligatory 'pick up after your dog' and 'report those who are not at this number ...'

When walking my dog in these areas I will comply and pick up after her if she deposits on a trail. But my dog is more inclined to walk a couple of yards off the trail and do what she does.

It is then that I do not bother to pick up a natural waste that within a matter of hours will loose sixty percent of its mass and within a day or two in the heat of the east county be ninety percent gone.

I find it illogical for me to pick the off-trail waste up and put it in a small plastic bag, and then carry it to a provided plastic-bag-lined trash can and deposit it there. Where it will be hauled to a local dump within the same mountain area and buried as many plastic bags of a natural substance bound in a large plastic bag within the earth to spend years in a decay process where all of that matter is released eventually to pollute the land en masse and possibly any water table nearby (and a river bed runs through this east county range).

I see far more coyote scat and wild cat scat (as well as drink containers and small trash left behind by hikers) than domestic animal waste ON the trails. I also see a lot of small bags of waste ON the trails where hikers don't want to carry their dog's remnants up and down the mountain. How long will it take for that bag to decay compared to the actual mess on the trail. I would rather someone carry that mess away on the sole of their expensive hiking shoes :o

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2019 at 09:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by clubfred  

Yeah, that's hilarious isn't it? There's nothing I enjoy more, as a woman who's spent her life constantly being dismissed and ridiculed by men, than to have a man use a subject I care about for social sport. So funny. I can't stop laughing. Lol. :D:D:D

[Edited on 9-17-2019 by clubfred]

Let's play the victim card.

How was anyone suppose to know your gender?

No women I know get dismissed by men.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

clubfred
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2019 at 09:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Let's play the victim card.

How was anyone suppose to know your gender?

No women I know get dismissed by men.

Oh I love this! We're at the "Settle down, you're overreacting" stage! Love this part.
clubfred
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2019 at 10:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  
How long will it take for that bag to decay compared to the actual mess on the trail. I would rather someone carry that mess away on the sole of their expensive hiking shoes :o

There are several completely biodegradable poop bags on the market for just this reason.

BioBag pet waste bags.
Flush Puppies Doodie Bags
BioDOGgradable Bags

I agree that if it's just one or two dogs, every now and then, pooping in the woods, that's not a big deal (as far as being a nuisance). But as a runner, I've run my fair share of well used trails that were more like an obstacle course of poop and reeked like an outhouse in August.

And then there is the issue of sensitive environments, such as Estero Coyote. You can't compare the feces of a domestic animal to the feces of a wild animal. Domestic dog feces carry all kinds of bacteria and parasites that wild flora and fauna have no resistance to.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2019 at 11:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  
Well...I was trying to keep from chiming in as the topic was about Campo Rene...but when it turned completely into a discussion of pet excrement I just can't resist any longer; my apologies to the poster.

I live in an area surrounded by state park trails in San Diego. There are an array of signs of 'don'ts' including the obligatory 'pick up after your dog' and 'report those who are not at this number ...'

When walking my dog in these areas I will comply and pick up after her if she deposits on a trail. But my dog is more inclined to walk a couple of yards off the trail and do what she does.

It is then that I do not bother to pick up a natural waste that within a matter of hours will loose sixty percent of its mass and within a day or two in the heat of the east county be ninety percent gone.

I find it illogical for me to pick the off-trail waste up and put it in a small plastic bag, and then carry it to a provided plastic-bag-lined trash can and deposit it there. Where it will be hauled to a local dump within the same mountain area and buried as many plastic bags of a natural substance bound in a large plastic bag within the earth to spend years in a decay process where all of that matter is released eventually to pollute the land en masse and possibly any water table nearby (and a river bed runs through this east county range).

I see far more coyote scat and wild cat scat (as well as drink containers and small trash left behind by hikers) than domestic animal waste ON the trails. I also see a lot of small bags of waste ON the trails where hikers don't want to carry their dog's remnants up and down the mountain. How long will it take for that bag to decay compared to the actual mess on the trail. I would rather someone carry that mess away on the sole of their expensive hiking shoes :o

Well, I hope you're not planning to summit Mt. Whitney in the future, because you now need a wag bag to carry your own crap out! Luckily, I'm not into summits, just backcountry flyfishing.

But, I agree with you on off trail pooping, where the hell do the bears do it, anyway? As a backpacker, I do bring out (or burn) my TP, but dig a cat hole for my poop. If a dog craps out in the wilderness, so be it, we all do.

Please pick up any litter you find off trail, be good by doing good! I pick up all the trash I come across on my neighborhood walks, as well as lots of those little poopy bags. People thank me all the time for what I do. Too bad they don't join me.

John
clubfred
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2019 at 11:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Well, I hope you're not planning to summit Mt. Whitney in the future, because you now need a wag bag to carry your own crap out! Luckily, I'm not into summits, just backcountry flyfishing.

But, I agree with you on off trail pooping, where the hell do the bears do it, anyway? As a backpacker, I do bring out (or burn) my TP, but dig a cat hole for my poop. If a dog craps out in the wilderness, so be it, we all do.

Please pick up any litter you find off trail, be good by doing good! I pick up all the trash I come across on my neighborhood walks, as well as lots of those little poopy bags. People thank me all the time for what I do. Too bad they don't join me.
John

Good friends of mine ran a mountaineering company for years, mostly operating in Nepal, and did numerous Everest climbs. They were the first company on Everest who started carrying out their own poop. It was actually a big problem because once you enter the "death zone" nothing biodegrades. Thankfully (?), human bodies also start to shut down in that zone, so there's not a lot of pooping going on but the poop that does come out never goes away!
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2019 at 04:13 PM

Glad to see the forum can still stay on topic. Some things never change. Yes, the palapa is for rent, there is only one spot currently taken. Keep your eye on Lorena...no consensus on where she is headed.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 9-17-2019 at 06:20 PM

What I find particularly amusing is that the OP expressed a desire to keep the topic on point and not have it run off the rails like his/her last post apparently did and then proceeded to drag it into the gutter her/himself.....fascinating....Thank you for bringing the post back to the topic at hand Ralf....

[Edited on 9-18-2019 by dtbushpilot]

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-17-2019 at 06:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
He's trolling them. I got a little chuckle out of them getting worked up about it.

Yeah, that's hilarious isn't it? There's nothing I enjoy more, as a woman who's spent her life constantly being dismissed and ridiculed by men, than to have a man use a subject I care about for social sport. So funny. I can't stop laughing. Lol. :D:D:D

[Edited on 9-17-2019 by clubfred]

I was responding to someone named fred, so assumed you were a dude. My responses would have been same for a chick.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-17-2019 at 06:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
I know, they go to the trouble of carrying the little bags, picking up warm steamy stools, bagging that crap, and then not completing the mission. They'll never make it in the SEAL teams. We even have doggy trash cans for poop on every frickin block!

I even picked up a bag full of cat litter the other morning, WTF????

John[Edited on 9-17-2019 by John Harper]

It's most frustrating for responsible pet owners--and we seem to be the minority. I make sure to get written references from places where I stay with my cats so that I can show people when I try to book accommodation :(

Now your responses makes sense. You are a cat person, not a dog person.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-17-2019 at 06:42 PM
Ordinary average guy!

We pick up the dog doo, and hope that it's hard! :barf:

(apologies to Joe Walsh)

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
clubfred
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2019 at 08:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
Glad to see the forum can still stay on topic. Some things never change. Yes, the palapa is for rent, there is only one spot currently taken. Keep your eye on Lorena...no consensus on where she is headed.

Thanks, we won't be down until mid or late January, so hopefully hurricane season will pass and be kind.
clubfred
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2019 at 08:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by dtbushpilot  
What I find particularly amusing is that the OP expressed a desire to keep the topic on point and not have it run off the rails like his/her last post apparently did and then proceeded to drag it into the gutter her/himself.....fascinating....Thank you for bringing the post back to the topic at hand Ralf....

[Edited on 9-18-2019 by dtbushpilot]

The OP signed her first post "~Kristene" and I'm not sure how speaking up about the importance of protecting a sensitive ecological habitat is dragging anything into the gutter but you do you.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.