BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Want To Buy: Automobile Club of Sourthern California map of Baja California - 2010 ed.
Mr. Bills
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2019 at 06:47 PM
Want To Buy: Automobile Club of Sourthern California map of Baja California - 2010 ed.

In preparation for a overlanding trip in late December 2019 from Tecate to Cabo San Lucas and back with 4 other similarly equipped 4WD vehicles, I am seeking one "used but not abused" copy the:

Automobile Club of Southern California Baja California Map - 2010 edition.

Please contact me by U2U message or by posting to this thread if you have one to sell or one you can spare.

Thank you.
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2019 at 08:26 PM
will 2003/2004 work?

I will give/mail you that - older versions also if any of those would do.

no tears and no writing except a note on the back cover (not on a map portion)

John M

[Edited on 9-16-2019 by John M]
Mr. Bills
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2019 at 07:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John M  
I will give/mail you that - older versions also if any of those would do.

no tears and no writing except a note on the back cover (not on a map portion)

John M

[Edited on 9-16-2019 by John M]

I just sent you my address by U2U message. Thanks for your kind offer.

Bob
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-16-2019 at 09:24 AM

2010 was the final edition of the Auto Club of Southern California's Baja map. It was (mostly) and updated 2003/2004 map. This was the same for the 2007 edition. 2004, 2007, & 2010 were the last three editions.

Maybe a fun post would be to show the differences between them? The last Auto Club Baja guidebook was the 2004 edition by Dave Brackney.

Dave and I became friends after we met at the Pyramid Resort Book Signing in 2007. A year later, when he was hoping to produce the next edition, the Auto Club ended their 80-year history of making Baja maps and guides and fired the cartography staff.

Dave fell in love with Baja and when I asked him if he would like to review the new guide I was writing for Baja Bound Insurance, he jumped right in and offered editing suggestions as a way to reconnect with the land he traveled so much in for the auto club.

Antonio (Baja Cactus) with Dave (AAA Baja Book author) at the 2007 Pyramid Resort event.

[Edited on 10-27-2021 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mr. Bills
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2019 at 10:22 AM

David,

Has your guide for Baja Bound Insurance been published? I haven't found a link.

I have the link to your 2018 maps on this forum, and also the link to photos of the AAA map you sent by private message (thank you!), but since I don't have a color printer I must go to my local photocopy place to print some.

My plan is collect and photocopy the relevant sections of the best maps (so far your 2018 maps and the AAA map that John M offered to send, with a copy of the '98 Baja Almanac as background) then make my own spiral bound map book so I can make notes as we progress.

I've always liked paper maps better than maps on tablets or GPS screens although I will be using GPS as well.

_________
* Note: When I refer to photocopying maps, it is for my own personal use only. I am fully aware of copyright law and what falls under the fair use doctrine and what does not. I respect the substantial work that has been invested in these maps and will not misappropriate someone else's intellectual property.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2019 at 02:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mr. Bills  
David,

I have the link to your 2018 maps on this forum, and also the link to photos of the AAA map you sent by private message (thank you!), but since I don't have a color printer I must go to my local photocopy place to print some.

My plan is collect and photocopy the relevant sections of the best maps (so far your 2018 maps and the AAA map that John M offered to send, with a copy of the '98 Baja Almanac as background) then make my own spiral bound map book so I can make notes as we progress.

I've always liked paper maps better than maps on tablets or GPS screens although I will be using GPS as well.

_________
* Note: When I refer to photocopying maps, it is for my own personal use only. I am fully aware of copyright law and what falls under the fair use doctrine and what does not. I respect the substantial work that has been invested in these maps and will not misappropriate someone else's intellectual property.

The entire road log is being organized into a professional-looking book as we speak. I am not involved with any of the publishing part and I do not know how close the final product will look like compared to what I have made. I did share two sections of the guide here on Nomad. As you said, the maps I made are all on the Road Conditions forum, too. The plan was for the Baja Bound Road Guide to be available before the Christmas season, this year.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mr. Bills
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2019 at 02:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by Mr. Bills  
David,

The entire road log is being organized into a professional-looking book as we speak. I am not involved with any of the publishing part. . . . The plan was for the Baja Bound Road Guide to be available before the Christmas season, this year.

I'll think good thoughts and hope for the best. If its available by 12/15 I'm golden. If not, oh well.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2019 at 02:51 PM
AAA 2010... some samples

[Edited on 10-27-2021 by David K]

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-16-2019 at 03:18 PM

People tend to be nostalgic for the old AAA small-scale road map of baja, but that map is out of print, and the new road maps (nat geo and a few Mexican publishers) are good maps. Some travel nerds will harp on small discrepancies and facts, but the small-scale maps currently in print are fine maps.
If you want large-scale maps, you can hunt around for the old baja almanacs (out of print), get the mex govt topos, or buy one of the GPS data sets.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2019 at 03:24 PM

Taking a quick look between the last 4 editions northern side (2003, 2004, 2007, & 2010) I can't see any changes between the 2007 and 2010 map.

2007 is when the Corredor 2000 and Libramiente de Mexicali were added.
ALSO: The paving to the observatory was extended up to the park entrance. The highway to Puertecitos was once again fully paved. The road to Santa Rosalillita is fully paved. The western few miles to Bahia Tortugas are shown paved... both in the 2007 and 2010 maps.

The 2003 map has kayaks and people on the beach.
The 2004 map has beach palapas.
The 2007 map has the San Felipe lighthouse on the cover.
The 2010 map has a path to the beach with kayaks on each side.

Oh wait, I have these scanned! LOL:

Mr. Bills
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2019 at 05:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
People tend to be nostalgic for the old AAA small-scale road map of baja, but that map is out of print, and the new road maps (nat geo and a few Mexican publishers) are good maps. Some travel nerds will harp on small discrepancies and facts, but the small-scale maps currently in print are fine maps.
If you want large-scale maps, you can hunt around for the old baja almanacs (out of print), get the mex govt topos, or buy one of the GPS data sets.

I'm from the school that one can't have too many maps during the planning stage. I have a copy of the 1997-1998 Almanac and will hopefully soon have a AAA Baja map as well. I also have access to David K's 2018 maps through the links in this forum.

Which maps published in Mexico are you referring to? I am aware of the Guia Roji maps for Baja Are there others?

Which are the non-AAA small scale maps currently in print that you refer to? ITMB or are there others?

Any opinions regarding E32 Cartografia digital maps? I'm a paper map guy, but could be convinced to use a digital map if there is an easy way to use it with a tablet rather than a tiny screen gps.

One thing that I have noticed is that the more time I spend comparing and contrasting various maps before departure the more easily I recognize the important directional signs, town names, intersections and landmarks, etc. when I see them for the first time in real life.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2019 at 05:27 PM

The 2008 Nat Geo pair of folding, huge scale, maps are fun to have but really not at all useful for driving, IMO. They don't show all the many dirt roads and there are no mileages on the roads or a companion guide they go with.

Here is the area near San Felipe on it:

Notice they show Shell ISLAND, in front of Estero Percebu:

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2019 at 09:32 AM

"Are there others?"
Si. Rand McNally, National Geographic, Int'l Travel Map Productions (eBay). If you have the Almanac (booklet version?), you're pretty much covered. What is especially helpful when I'm intending to pursue a special interest, are comments from others who have been there recently (search on Bajanomad), publications of studies - mines, rocks, archaeological, fossils, missions (David can help you there). I cut/paste specific data or directions, plus Googlemaps with topo screenshots. I'm like you - I assemble a booklet with all pertinent info in chronological order (!) - and include restaurant recommendations, boondocking locales. A map symbol doesn't give you real-time data - road conditions, a recent fire, practical advice, so continue to inquire on Bajanomad. Have a wonderful trip.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.