BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: driving on Baja beaches legal or illegal?
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 9-17-2019 at 01:35 PM
driving on Baja beaches legal or illegal?

just as a refresher question - is it legal to drive on the beach?

I know many do it
that dos snot make right

I know some don't to protect turtle nests

Harald Pietschmann
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2019 at 01:44 PM

Unless someone can show a Mexican Judicial Code showing it to be illegal, it is presumed not illegal. Opinions don't matter.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-17-2019 at 02:02 PM

Harold I think wrong way to ask. In a country that there is no law. I'm sure people that live here know what I'm talking about. I'm areas where there are not many people no problem. In areas with many people best stay away for safety. Sorry but fact of life.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 9-17-2019 at 02:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Harold I think wrong way to ask. In a country that there is no law. I'm sure people that live here know what I'm talking about. I'm areas where there are not many people no problem. In areas with many people best stay away for safety. Sorry but fact of life.

I know what people do and why

but I want to find out what the law is

wrong is wrong 800.jpg - 78kB

Harald Pietschmann
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2019 at 02:12 PM

Since you live in La Paz, maybe go to the police and ask them.

Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2019 at 02:12 PM

Some of the crowded areas have the most vehicular traffic on the beach. On the Sonoran side, the police and military patrol the beach in vehicles alongside all of the vacationers and locals.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2019 at 02:28 PM

Harold with great respect. If you go to police station to ask that question. You may ask them why there is no law when crime is committed. Or why 1 percent go to jail.
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2019 at 02:30 PM

In BoLA, which is in a national park, the park guards claim that it is illegal to ride or drive on the beach. So far all they do is ask you to get your vehicle off the beach.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
wiltonh
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2019 at 03:08 PM

We had a meeting with the police in La Ventana. They discussed driving on the beach and say that it is illegal for anyone except emergency vehicles.

There are signs at most beach access points which discuss the turtle issue. The police have posted pictures of them helping put up the signs on the Neighbor Hood Watch Group but it is unclear whether they paid for them or if it was some environmentalist group.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2019 at 03:32 PM

In BoLA, where beach is the shortest way from downtown to the first few camps in the North, or between the camps - this is exactly what locals do, in ATV. Both gringo locals and Mexicans. Didn't see anybody stopping them, but maybe does happen occasionally. Or when one is doing it for fun, rather than out of necessity, getting from A to B.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2019 at 03:33 PM

Seems norm to me down south In places where houses on Beach. Don't ride there but past Ensenada where I ride no houses. For that matter the road is on the Beach. All fisherman and the trucks that haul the small rocks to so cal. Use beach road. Even the nat park here the road on beach is the park. All drive it. So life goes on I ride and enjoy.
marv sherrill
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2019 at 04:09 PM

Sorry, Alm, but in Bola there are new signs indicating that driving on the beach is illegal due to turtle nesting, had 2 just a little ways down the beach from my house., And there is a municipal code number that states that it is against the law. I do not have the number here, but it was posted on a large sign just as you enter town, but we lost the sign in hurricane Odile. North of town most homeowners will stop you and point out the illegality. New fliers are also in town indicating the same. Jet skies are also illegal due to the whale sharks.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2019 at 04:40 PM

Speaking of signs last week new one's. To tell you not to have camp fire on beach. On my beach run this week all signs gone. So I checked old camp fire on beach that is where wood signs went. To make camp fire Mexico is Mexico
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2019 at 04:54 PM

Since the Federal Zone is 20 meters back from the mean high tide, it includes much of the beach and I think the rules would be administered by PROFEPA. That's probably where to look for the pertinent regulations.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2019 at 05:44 PM

Unless we get arrested it is 100% legal.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Nikno
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2019 at 06:00 PM

You'll pull your hair out trying to figure out what is legal and illegal in Mexico. There are rarely clear answers when it comes to laws. Sometimes it's allowed, sometimes not. Depends on so many factors.

Clearly, it is illegal to drive on the brach in some places and clearly marked as such. But in many places, especially rural Baja, driving on beaches is a way of life for locals and visitors. I have never heard of a national or state law that outlaws driving on beaches, so as Tioloco points out, it is presumed not illegal. But of course, if someone wants to hassle you over it, they will find a way.
wiltonh
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2019 at 06:05 PM

Here is a link to a picture that the La Ventana police sent out.

https://app.box.com/s/at72fxwlgcvoav18n8u52woyfhq5ps5x
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2019 at 07:35 PM

Wouldn't matter if it were law and PROFEPA was the enforcing agency. It looks like Mexicans drive anything they want on Pescadero beaches. It comes down to local enforcement and that'll never happen in this area. Miracles happen.

The Cerritos crowd race from the S. end to the N. through turtle hatching zones, etc. The turtle people are MX. Guess they can't do anything about it. Or the gill nets strung for miles at San Pedrito.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-18-2019 at 08:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  

I disagree...there are good laws in Mexico and I like the way police enforce them...only when they need to...when offenders are blatantly and dangerously breaking said laws.

Beach driving depends on so many factors...where the beach is, if there are turtle nests, people on the beach etc. If it is a problem they enforce it, if not, they let it slide.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-18-2019 at 10:25 AM

Where you are driving, what you are driving, and how you are driving makes all the difference.

Sadly, common sense and awareness of the surroundings is not universally distributed!

I drive on some beaches, and not on some others.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.