Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: The FMM saga marches on, and on, and on
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 9-19-2019 at 09:11 AM
The FMM saga marches on, and on, and on

Latest edition
Couple days ago we presented our passport cards to the woman at the Tijuana office. She looked at mine, picked up a blank app and handed them back to me for completion
Then she simply handed back Teresa's card.
No app?
No, she tells Teresa, you are a Mexican, born in Jalisco, to which I said, but a US citizen for 40 years.
Doesn't matter, she is Mexican, no FMM needed.

OK.... so when she stamped mine and handed it back I asked if I needed to return it when we went home in a couple days.
Oh Yes!!
Where?
Right here, of course.....

I pointed out the logistical difficulties of driving back across the line and finding a way to park, and return it.
Doesn't matter, bring it here...

And what if we cross at Tecate (which we did on Sunday)
You still need to bring it here.

Ah yes, they sure do not make it simple, do they???

Footnote.....needless to say the FMM is still in my travel pack.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2019 at 09:49 AM

Yeah, I tried completing mine online like I've done before. When I try to pay, it times out with no way to return to the form. I get an email saying they'll complete the transaction when I pay. Ni modo...I'll go in and fill out the form in person.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-19-2019 at 10:27 AM

We got the free tourist cards (FMM) in Mexicali ( a few years ago) and returned them in Tecate. No questions. Our passports were scanned at both crossings. Tecate is the only one that is remotely possible to drive to INM and then go back to the northbound line without insane traffic issues, IMO. I have never crossed at Algodones, however.

It is simply just easier to pay for a 180-day FMM and not have to return it (plus not needing to do this if another trip is within the 180 days).

I will say, last May riding as a passenger, with a free FMM from Mexicali West, I also was not able to return it. The INM agent, six days earlier, actually told none of us getting them that it had to be returned. Once you find the long line to the border crossing, there is no way to reach the INM office from that line. They need a drive up collection box in each traffic line if they really want them back badly enough.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2019 at 11:00 AM

Have never thought about turning one back in.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2019 at 11:18 AM

For the past 10 years, the deal has been the free 7-day ones must be returned but the pay 180-day ones do not. I think the idea for that was to insure people don't use a free one for a longer trip.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2019 at 11:42 AM

OP, you obviously got the free 7 day fmm? I printed out
a 7 day few weeks back, crossed newer downtown Mexicali,
stamped, told it needs to be returned, asked if TJ was an option,
to return it, guy said yes. I can't fathom how one would do
that at TJ. I made the effort, probably unnecessary, and
found the old original IMM office still open at Calexico West,
which appears it's there for crossers on foot, and returned it, what a hassle. Consistent regs by Mex Imm
would be appreciated

BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 9-19-2019 at 04:59 PM

I have never turned one in, and that is over 16 years. We used to get exact dates back in the 2000s, but now always 180 days. Only time I have to turn one in is when I fly.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2019 at 05:27 PM

It's the free 7-day one they were saying has to be returned... The pay one did for a while then about 10 years ago they said no need (for land travelers).

There used to be a mailing address to return them as they knew it was ridiculous to try and get to them northbound at the end of your trip.

One day, Ferna de Tijuana (a late old friend of many here on Nomad) went to that address to discover the building was torn down!

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2019 at 05:27 PM

I wonder why the FMM exists. What's the purpose? If they want to know who is coming into the country all they need to do is scan the person's passpost/card.

Revenue source I guess, it's like a receipt.

[Edited on 9-20-2019 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 9-19-2019 at 05:35 PM

The other interesting thing of note re this thread.

We crossed on Friday afternoon, and there was a ton of traffic heading into Mexico.

And, in the Migra office, just Teresa and me filling out the visa forms.

That means either literally everyone crossing was a legal Mexican citizen, or they all had previously obtained their visas, per the regs.

Or...….dare I suggest...… no one really stops and minds this little nuisance???
BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2019 at 05:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  
Yeah, I tried completing mine online like I've done before. When I try to pay, it times out with no way to return to the form. I get an email saying they'll complete the transaction when I pay. Ni modo...I'll go in and fill out the form in person.

In May I did mine online, paid for it, but it refused to let me print it. Every time I tried to print, it said it was processing and try again later.

Got to Mexicali West to declare my imports and attempt to get my FMM, but when the agent saw my receipt, he said I was good to go. Then he never bothered to ask for my daughter's passport or whether she needed an FMM.

So off I went with nothing more than a receipt!
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2019 at 05:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
I wonder why the FMM exists. What's the purpose? If they want to know who is coming into the country all they need to do is scan the person's passpost/card.

Revenue source I guess, it's like a receipt.

[Edited on 9-20-2019 by SFandH]

There is no purpose. Just another Mexican BS. They could've scanned the passport/card, look at his last FMM record, and charge right then, if FMM has expired. And print a receipt.

Btw, saw a variation of the OP scenario, in Tijuana: a women is crossing with US passport, officer tells her to go inside and get FMM. She asks - Why, I'm a Mexican. The officer says - But you are crossing with US document now.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2019 at 05:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaParrothead  

In May I did mine online, paid for it, but it refused to let me print it. Every time I tried to print, it said it was processing and try again later.

I would never enter credit card and ID info into a Mexican online system. System security is an additional layer of expense that I bet doesn't get enough attention.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2019 at 05:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Quote: Originally posted by BajaParrothead  

I would never enter credit card and ID info into a Mexican online system. System security is an additional layer of expense that I bet doesn't get enough attention.

Good point! Next time I'll just get it over the counter.
DawnPatrol
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2019 at 03:42 PM

I just went CBX to the TJ airport flying to Cedros Island. Since the trip was less than 7 days I went online and pre-printed a free7 day out to present.

I ALREADY had a 180 day in my pocket that is still valid for 1 more month (I had forgotten it was in my wallet)

Of course when they scanned my new 7 day they didnt see I already had one in the system!

(BTW don't try to tell me you fill out the FMM "arriving by air", when you choose the CBX entry point online the only choice they give you is "by land")

Fishing was great BTW

Alan

ZipLine
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2019 at 05:29 PM

Doesn't really seem worth stressing about. I make family and friends get one as I feel responsible for them when they are here, but I don't bother to turn it in when they leave. Personally, I don't check in and out. Not worth it and no one really cares. Relax. It's all okay. Tranquilo. Relajado. That's why I am here.
geoffff
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2019 at 10:33 PM

I'm curious - has anyone *ever* been asked to show their FMM to the police, or at roadblocks, etc?

-- Geoff

2004 Sportsmobile 4x4
http://octopup.org/baja
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2019 at 08:00 AM

No. Only immigration (INM) people have asked to see it and that was a while ago, at the state border near Guerrero Negro.

Rarely, but sometimes at military checkpoints (Gonzaga Bay) they like to write down who you are and what kind of vehicle (they ask me the year of my Tacoma). It was easier for me to show the soldier my passport so he could write my name as he struggled with spelling it.

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 9-22-2019 at 08:24 AM

Yup - Federal Police checkpoint north of San Felipe, after a vehicle accident on Blvd 2000 and at a checkpoint at Playas and the toll road.......just showed my Residente Permanente card.

Quote: Originally posted by geoffff  
I'm curious - has anyone *ever* been asked to show their FMM to the police, or at roadblocks, etc?

-- Geoff
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 9-23-2019 at 09:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by geoffff  

-- Geoff

Yes, in Baja & mainland Mexico.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.