BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Ever encounter an unusual checkpoint?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-28-2019 at 02:56 PM
Ever encounter an unusual checkpoint?

The other thread reminded me of some none standard check points I have run into. The strangest place I have ever been checked, was in Agua Verde.

It was my first visit there, and I found myself down on the boat launching ramp, just before sunset. I looked across the bay and noticed a beach just north of town.

I drove back through town to an arroyo, and followed tire tracks down to the beach. I popped out of the brush, right in the middle of some soldiers setting up a camp!

Some of the soldiers were already in swim trunks, but the officer in charge (in uniform) asked me for an ID, asked the standard "Where are you coming from, where are you going?" then invited me and my dog to join their camp!

My dog recognized that he was in charge, and chose to sit next to him instead of me. It was a strange, enjoyable experience, marred only by the biting gnats that came out after dark!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Beagle
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2019 at 03:13 PM

Does Chiapas count? Early 90's during the EZLN uprising. We were driving though at night in a Bug (don't ask). Giant rope across the road and little fires all over the road. Dudes with WWII era rifles and the Zapatista hoods Ask us to get out. We were 3 guys and a girl. We're a little nervous.

Then 2 of them put on wooden masks. One is of a cop and the other a campesino. They put on a little play on the side of the road where the cop masked guy was sorta beating the campesino with a baton and there was some pretty decent acting. Then they passed a can around to us for donations for the Zapatistas. We contributed liberally. Then they gave us an official looking card that we used at any other Zapatista check point to let them know we were "friends of Marcos". Nicest guys we met on the road.

On the way out into Tobasco when leaving the EZLN territory, we hit the Mexican army checkpoint. They weren't as fun.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 9-28-2019 at 04:44 PM

I've had two unusual 'searches' over the years; first was in BOLA, back when I was solo with an 8" ponytail. Was toodling north on the flats, stopped by Federales. I let 'em in, and being my first year (or so) in Baja i'd forgotten to take my box of BB's out of the trailer. The gendarmes went ballistic, and searched me for almost two hours looking for ...... whatever. I stood my ground, had nothing better to do, and told 'em ''no problema, andele pues." They found nothing and finally left with a bad attitude.

Second was at El Pabellon campo south of SQ. Pulled in, set my trailer, just getting relaxed and a couple army trucks pulled in. The guy in charge spoke pretty good English, said he was raised in CA.... demanded to search my rig. I was way wary of this....... kept a close eye on all. Went through my stuff, told me it wasn't safe there lately (no chit)... and not leave anything out to be taken.

One thing i'd noticed over the years, when travelling solo and with long hair I was searched way more than when hair was gone and travelling with a lady. 'Racial Profiling' happens everywhere.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 9-28-2019 at 07:10 PM

I too got surprised at the checkpoint by La Gringa
As usual, I really haul the mail on that washboard stretch
Usually run between 70 and 80 (mph/ not kph) to smooth the bumps
Anyway, I guess I arrived a bit more quickly, with a much larger cloud of dust at my tail than the normal arrival
They were pretty nervous for a bit, but eventually we made peace and I rumbled off to camp.
Totally unexpected, probably on both sides
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2019 at 07:22 PM

I've had a few unexpected ones over the years; mostly out in the middle of NOWHERE on dirt roads! It sure surprises you when you come around a corner and there they are, stopped in the road!

Weirdest encounter was at BOLA years ago on the beach in front of Guillermo's. A friend of mine and our wives had just pulled into the beach from fishing and 2 soldiers who were walking down the beach, came over and went through our stuff with a fine tooth comb. Thoroughly went through my tacklebox looking for drugs. That was until Lucy saw what was going on, and she came out and yelled at them! She yelled at them to stop harassing the tourists and they were on their way!

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2019 at 07:46 PM

One time early in my baja trips, on the road between BOLA and El Archo where the the little rock walls are still standing.... Everyone was sleeping in the shade of the afternoon heat and the rope was down, but we stopped. One guy reluctantly got up only to wave us on!
One time some place outside of Ojos Negros we came flying up a wash, as we rounded the corner several solders were setting up a check point that we blew past. We wheeled around and went back. They all laughed and told us to ride wheelies as we left.. Good times.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2019 at 07:47 PM

Checkpoint N. of Loreto, NB, solo, early, lone soldier came out, told him my espanol es muy muy poquito. He was leaning against my door and let out a loud laugh and smoke from mota.

We conversed some and he waved me on.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 9-28-2019 at 08:08 PM

I had one a long time ago on the Pole Line Road. They popped like ghosts out from the bushes with weapons drawn. Screaming at me to get out.
NOW!
I drive barefoot often. Not the moment to search for my shoes.
So I stepped out.
Into a cactus.
It was a memorable encounter.

The empty 9mm shell that I had found on the trail and thrown on the floorboard made the guys check everything I had loaded.
Everything

Harald Pietschmann
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2019 at 08:32 PM

I believe I wrote about it at the time but once as we were headed north along the beach towards Bahia Asuncion, we were stopped by soldiers who asked us about fish or did we have any abalone. Very odd.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-29-2019 at 08:45 AM

A couple of times...

In 2001 near Rancho El Progreso, on the road to Punta San Francisquito, we stopped to record the road junction in my notebook and the troop appeared, coming out from the brush just ahead of us.

In 2002, in the dark, driving north of Punta Cabras, climbing a grade, they came out of the darkness.

Both times they did the typical search.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2019 at 11:10 AM

here is one that was in use for a couple of years - buildings are still there

Attachment: military post (no current checks) San Francisquito.kmz (845B)
This file has been downloaded 187 times

Harald Pietschmann
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2019 at 11:13 AM

here are all known checkpoints

Attachment: all checkpoints.kmz (3kB)
This file has been downloaded 218 times

[Edited on 9-29-2019 by 4x4abc]

Harald Pietschmann
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2019 at 11:55 AM

Many years of checkpoints, both known and pop ups. I´ve never had a shady experience, however two moments come to mind...
There was one time when the entire troop posed at my tailgate, with their weapons out at the ready, pretending that my 240lb English Mastiff was one of them. They took turns taking photos of the scene.

The second one that comes to mind was when a young man was doing a very thorough search of my center console. He had already asked for my flashlight and was denied. It was the only one I had, I told him. As he dug further he came upon a ziplock baggie of slender tubular objects, wrapped in white paper. He indicated that there were more than one, so he should have one. Seemed fair, so with as straight of a face I could manage I agreed, one, he could have one.

I have no idea what he planned to do with a tampon, poor guy.

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2019 at 12:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paulina  

I have no idea what he planned to do with a tampon, poor guy.

P>*)))>{

That's funny! What might be funnier is watching him try to keep it lit!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2019 at 01:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
here is one that was in use for a couple of years - buildings are still there

Yes, that is exactly where we saw them in 2001... If I didn't stop to make notes of the road mileage and GPS then we would have never seen them. Because I did stop for more than a minute, the "platoon" came out of the bushes!

Here is a photo sent to me by an Amigo de Baja member known as SeaTwill, so I made this web page for it: http://www.vivabaja.com/checkpoints.html

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2019 at 01:35 PM

Santa Rosalia. Marines walked down onto the dock and boarded my boat for an inspection.

One of my dumb ass friends had weed on him. Which luckily was not uncovered.

Needless to say, I made him throw it out in the ocean in between Santa Rosalia and Loreto, which he wasn't happy about.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

rzitren
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2019 at 02:48 PM

In 1978 had my truck and camper searched by 4 plain clothes cops at Santispac. Everything was fine until he asked if I had any weapons.As he was searching the camper, I remembered that I had an old 22 rifle under the matress. What to do? I decided to play dumb and told him of course I carried a rifle for target shooting. I handed it to him and he asked where my permit was for the rifle. I again played dunb and told him I did not have one and didn't think I needed one. He lectured me on the rules of Mexico and showed me his pistol on his belt and told me he never takes it to the USA. He offered to have me follow him to LA Paz to get a permit. I told him he could keep it, and as soon as they left heading south we packed up and headed north.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2019 at 03:28 PM

Reminds me of my 1976 trip at El Requesón on Bahía Concepción.

Up drives a Dodge pickup with Texas plates and out steps a big guy with a cowboy hat but otherwise dressed like a comandante with a sidearm. Also stepping out of the truck are two soldiers with automatic rifles.

He walks to our palapa and comments to us he wished he too was on vacation. He then searches my Cherokee, looks in glove box, asks if we have marijuana, searches my girlfriend's purse, and opens a jar of lotion she had and sniffs it.

At that, he said for us to have a nice vacation, got into the truck, the soldiers both hopped in and off they went.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2019 at 03:32 PM

The Texas truck was probably 'donated' by some guy that did have something in the glovebox!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2019 at 05:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
The Texas truck was probably 'donated' by some guy that did have something in the glovebox!

That's what I thought, too!

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.