Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Military check point at San Ignacio
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2019 at 10:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
Lee, you can believe me or not, I don't give flying fiddler's phuque either way. He told me, I repeated.

Live with it or not, amigo.

see ya

Whoa let's take a deep breathe. If BB had witnessed the encounter at the checkpoint personally, I would have believed him.

Since the employer was describe in negative terms (nanny, silver spoon, arguing vociferously), I thought this story might have been embellished -- by the employer.

Not a big deal. Worked up over nothing, BB. I'm not the enemy.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2019 at 11:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
just an FYI..I took the bus to Ensenada last week and at the checkpoint north of Jesus Maria...they did the normal go through your luggage but now they have a spunky German Shepherd that they let loose in the luggage compartment. He was very interested in my tote that had freshly ground organic coffee!

At a check point North of Hermosillo in Sonora they have had an x-ray machine for about 10-15 years.

Have had to put my bags through it a few times when driving. Don't remember if there was a dog or not.

Never ride the bus, but think they make everything on the bus go through it. My friends ride the bus sometimes. They had VHF radios in a cooler once. Military asked them tons of questions about why they had the radios.

[Edited on 10-3-2019 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-3-2019 at 12:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

My friends ride the bus sometimes. They had VHF radios in a cooler once. Military asked them tons of questions about why they had the radios.

Radios raise a red flags as they are suspicious things as the military says they are used by smugglers to radio other bandidos about routes and checkpoints. You are supposed to have permits for them.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2019 at 12:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

My friends ride the bus sometimes. They had VHF radios in a cooler once. Military asked them tons of questions about why they had the radios.

Radios raise a red flags as they are suspicious things as the military says they are used by smugglers to radio other bandidos about routes and checkpoints. You are supposed to have permits for them.

Yeah, exactly. That's what they were hassling them about.

They are boat captains. They were coming to Baja for a boating trip. Don't think you need a permit for a marine VHF radio.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Mr. Bills
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2019 at 01:47 PM

Does one need a permit for a CB, ham radio, or FRS/GMRS handhelds? What are the rules in Mexico?

I'm traveling with a group of vehicles in December/January that are all normally equipped with both CB and ham radios. Several in the group routinely carry one or more handhelds "just in case."

I know that the reciprocal amateur radio agreement between the U.S. and Mexico has expired and no "traveling" call signs have been issued by the Mexican government for many years. We have heard that the Mexican authorities in Baja pay little or no attention to ham radios, but the posts above suggest that we may have bad information.

What is the true state of affairs with respect to CB radio and ham radio in Baja?

If a permit is required, what is it called and where does one obtain one?

Thanks

[Edited on 10-3-2019 by Mr. Bills]
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 10-3-2019 at 02:02 PM

All race teams use the commercial, ham, radios down here. If it were a problem the govt would certainly put their hand out to that crowd.

I got hassled about the one in my truck at a surprise stop out in the desert while I was out there riding around by myself one time. Told them it was for the race car and they were fine with it.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
matthew_mangus
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2019 at 07:32 PM

We were traveling in a group of overland rigs connected via Ham radio last Feb and we had one joker cracking Trump jokes over the radio while my truck was being thoroughly searched at the San Ignacio checkpoint. The guards were laughing at the jokes and didn't seem to care about the radios.

[Edited on 10-5-2019 by matthew_mangus]
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 10-5-2019 at 11:39 AM

Friday ...san Ignacio check point...normal...no problems

very respectful and professional

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 10-5-2019 at 11:45 AM

We always use CB units when making our annual trek
Anywhere from 2 to 5 vehicles, depending on the group
We have a rigid rule
Approaching any checkpoint "RADIO SILENCE GENTLEMEN!!!"

No reason to raise eyebrows with random voices coming into the scene!!

And, we have used these for the past 22 years of annual visits with never a question from any authority.
fire
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2019 at 05:54 PM
What sort of luck do you expect a guy in his 40's alone to have at these checkpoints? lend me your thoughts

Quote: Originally posted by Whiskey Witch  
We drove through there Saturday morning with no issues. Short professional conversation: "Where are you coming from, where are you going? Vaya bien." We are a couple of mature adults in a station wagon.

I will be traveling alone, recommended?
vandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2019 at 06:18 PM

In my 20s, 30, 40s and now 50s I have never had a major problem at a checkpoint.

They do, however, always want to buy CO2 bb pistols, pellet rifles, binoculars, and camping gear.

In 1999 in Quintana Roo, Yucatan peninsula, I was doing a long drive back to the States, on my way back from Honduras.
I came to a remote army checkpoint where the soldiers started bidding up my ghetto blaster and cassette tapes.

I said the hell with it, and proceeded to unload my tent, sleeping bag, tarps, scuba equipment, speargun, gasoline stove, pressure cooker, folding table, backpacks, flashlights, batteries and who knows what else.

They gave me reasonable prices, and my 1986 Ford Taurus had a lot more room in it.
vandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2019 at 06:24 PM

What was really funny was that the checkpoint went unmanned for 45 minutes while we haggled.
Every soldier wanted in on it.

I still sell off my easily-replaceable gear when I head north, or donate it to Mexicans. It's great to see ranchers and farmers mending fences wearing my old Hawaiian shirts.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-6-2019 at 07:42 PM

Quote; "What sort of luck do you expect a guy in his 40's alone to have at these checkpoints? lend me your thoughts"

Fire, it has been 20 years since I passed through a checkpoint with someone else in my car (except for a dog). It is not something I worry a lot about. I have rarely had them search anywhere out of reach from the driver's seat, and I have never been physically searched!

[Edited on 10-7-2019 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 10-6-2019 at 08:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Quote; "What sort of luck do you expect a guy in his 40's alone to have at these checkpoints? lend me your thoughts"

Ditto what AK said. Many times solo over the last 20 years sometimes with a large dog and I find the stops completely safe and have never felt threatened or hassled.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

ReTire
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2019 at 09:33 PM

During my solo trip down to S of Loreto earlier this year, the San Ignacio checkpoint was the only one I had any hassle with. I did get shook down for a fishing lure! He tried to get 3 from me. And was admiring some cookware I had on board.
I did register a complaint to the commandants email address that was posted on the sign that stated “Dear traveler, we hope that you were treated with respect.....blah, blah, blah”
On my return North I was wondering what would happen at that checkpoint. Treated professionally, quickly and then on my way.
I was traveling alone (maybe that’s a flag to some of the military)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-1-2019 at 08:17 AM

In 2015, my wife and I (in our late-fifties then) in my Tacoma were harassed at that checkpoint (the first-ever for me and not again since). I wrote about it in that the July 2015 trip report. If we didn't love Baja so much, that would have been our last trip. It would have ruined any other couple from wanting to go back to Mexico we both felt. Too bad that has to happen.
As I said, I have been back through San Ignacio checkpoint (10 times) since the 2015 incident, and not one problem.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

K7BVT
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2019 at 09:53 AM

Licensed US amateur radio operators (hams) require a Mexican permit to operate legally there. I have obtained the permit from the Mexican communications office near the police station in Ensenada, cost about US$60. At one time SCORE purchased radio permits for the races. Radio silence at check points is a good idea.
Mr. Bills
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2019 at 01:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by K7BVT  
Licensed US amateur radio operators (hams) require a Mexican permit to operate legally there. I have obtained the permit from the Mexican communications office near the police station in Ensenada, cost about US$60. At one time SCORE purchased radio permits for the races. Radio silence at check points is a good idea.

How recently did you do this?

According to the ARRL website on 11/1/19,

Quote:

Mexico (XE)

There have been significant changes in Mexico’s telecommunications structure. CoFeTel has been replaced by a new telecommunications agency - IFT. At this time there are no procedures in place for US licensees (or those from other nations) to obtain a valid license in Mexico or to operate under a reciprocal agreement.

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2019 at 05:15 PM

I have been under the impression that all hand held radios required a permit.
K7BVT
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2019 at 09:29 PM

More than 10 years since I got a XE2 permit. A Mexican ham told me their government doesn't enforce communication laws because they want tourist money. Too bad we don't have reciprocal licensing.
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.