Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Military check point at San Ignacio
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 11-2-2019 at 12:11 PM

We generally travel with between 2 and 5 vehicles on our annual trip.
Always use CB units, every vehicle is on and checked regularly.
Never had a question or a comment

But, we have a firm rule
RADIO SILENCE UNTIL THE CHECKPOINT IS PASSED!!

Went through the SI checkpoint a couple times last year
It was a bit of a backup, but nothing out of the ordinary and a very quick look around and gone.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 11-2-2019 at 03:12 PM

Mex government does not care about CB.
It is the professional frequencies that can get you in trouble
like driving on the beach, many rules are rarely enforced
but don't count on it

Harald Pietschmann
eguillermo
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2019 at 06:21 PM

Two thoughts, one on having a gun pointed at you at a checkpoint, and the other actually about San Ignacio:

-- More than once the guys that questioned me at SI were palpably young punks who asked whether I was transporting any mujeres and make references to masturbation. (I travel solo. No comment on the onanism).

-- Kayaking down the San Juan river in Nicaragua (I know, whole different country) I got a fully search, and then, proceeding around a bend in the river, another guard ordered me over for another search. While I drifted downstream a little trying to explain, he pointed a very large gun at me and said "VENGA. LA PUTA. AQUI!"

You let unprofessional nuts carry guns, and you'll get that once in a million times. That dude's story is not unbelievable.
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2019 at 06:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by eguillermo  
Two thoughts, one on having a gun pointed at you at a checkpoint, and the other actually about San Ignacio:

-- More than once the guys that questioned me at SI were palpably young punks who asked whether I was transporting any mujeres and make references to masturbation. (I travel solo. No comment on the onanism).

-- Kayaking down the San Juan river in Nicaragua (I know, whole different country) I got a fully search, and then, proceeding around a bend in the river, another guard ordered me over for another search. While I drifted downstream a little trying to explain, he pointed a very large gun at me and said "VENGA. LA PUTA. AQUI!"

You let unprofessional nuts carry guns, and you'll get that once in a million times. That dude's story is not unbelievable.

Lots of people travel solo and do not get this kind of treatment. Must be something special about you.
eguillermo
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2019 at 06:27 PM

Well, there's a lot that's special about me :)

I only threw that detail in for context and complete information, not to suggest anything in particular. Calm down buey.
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2019 at 05:37 AM

went to San Javier for the fiesta. was waved by, south and north bound at S.I. and Loreto checkpoints.
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2019 at 02:51 PM

The "punyatera" song is very funny.

Es Todo Bueno
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2019 at 07:31 AM

We still don't have a definitive answer on Can they peruse the wallet?

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
greasecoyote

[*] posted on 12-7-2019 at 09:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  

Are you asking if they can search your wallet? I would think they can. But I don't think they often do. I've had them ask me to empty the contents of my pockets onto a table in one of the more thorough searches they did. That was when the drug war was still in full swing though, I'm not sure if they still do that as often.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-8-2019 at 12:11 AM

In all my Baja years, never searched my wallet or pocket contents. In 1976, Federales searched my Jeep and my girlfriend's purse at our camp at El Requesón.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mr. Bills
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2019 at 12:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  

At the risk of sounding facetious, soldiers carrying automatic weapons can search anything they want.

Is it proper for them to search a tourist's wallet at a checkpoint without reasonable suspicion of a crime? Probably not, but constitutional protections in Mexico have historically been subject to local interpretation if you catch my drift.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-8-2019 at 05:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
In 1976, Federales searched my Jeep and my girlfriend's purse at our camp at El Requesón.

Thank you for this current and relevant information!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2019 at 06:04 PM

Cherry picking again goat?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 12-10-2019 at 09:57 AM

No, probably not.....just reacting to your ubiquitous postings which point out your "me too" need to post often .

Is it just to keep your posting numbers up or the need to be included?

Don't believe everything you think....
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2019 at 10:11 AM

No Ged, the post numbers mean nothing to me and I would be thrilled if Doug just eliminated the user ranks here.

I post because it is fun to chat about Baja and I may add things to inspire more conversation if not simply to provide additional data that someone may appreciate.

Why not complain about goat who only added a post to jab at me, rather than to provide more on the subject? Why complain at all and instead just be happy that Baja Nomad is still online after more than 18 years!

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2019 at 10:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

No, probably not.....just reacting to your ubiquitous postings which point out your "me too" need to post often .

Posting an event that occurred 46 years ago is historically relevant. Nothing wrong with wanting to be included, either.

We're all cherry pickers to some degree.

With the advent of legal THC/CBD NOB, discretion is advised at the SI checkpoint. Everyone fits the profile.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
JohnGaltSpeaking
Junior Nomad

Mood: where have all of the smart people gone?

[*] posted on 12-10-2019 at 01:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
In 1976, Federales searched my Jeep and my girlfriend's purse at our camp at El Requesón.

Thank you for this current and relevant information!

HAHAHAHA. not taking anyone's side on this, this was just a funny comment.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-10-2019 at 01:15 PM

I dont have a cherry tree. Maybe i will plant one (i have space for 2 more fruit trees), but need a low chill variety that fruits well in san diego.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 12-10-2019 at 01:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

It got me thinking about a hot girl from 1976, scantly dressed in a bikini top and bell-bottomed jeans in Baja, so I'll allow it. Pics would be appreciated, though.

[Edited on 12-10-2019 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 12-10-2019 at 01:52 PM

Truth be told, David K's post about 1976 is relevant, as it shows just HOW often this occurs ...

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.