BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Baja maps on android tablet?
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2019 at 08:53 AM
Baja maps on android tablet?

I know this has been gone over before but am seeking more information. As a confirmed luddite, I have always relied on paper maps (BCA 2009) and a compass when navigating the back roads of Baja. I do not own a smart phone. I do have a Garmin Nuvi GPS that I got at a yard sale for five bucks that I used to record lat / long coordinates in the field that I write down in a paper notebook. My Nuvi did not come with Mexico maps, the first time I used in in Baja it was somewhat amusing to see a dot showing my location surrounded by a sea of blue nothingness. Then when I get home I enter the coordinates into Google Earth to see where I was!

So it is time for me to get with the program. My first instinct is to upgrade to a newer Garmin and purchase the Cartographia E32 map ($105 US) From screen shots seems like pretty detailed maps of tracks in the back country and the dirt bikers seem to like them, also able to record way points, tracks, etc.

However, I understand that a tablet with a GPS can be used in the same manner, by downloading an "app" such as Back Country Navigator, Guiia, etc. and be used to show your location even in areas without a cell phone signal. This would offer the bonus of being able to use wifi to check email, surf the web, etc. while on the road, a big advantage for me since I do not have a smart phone.

So here is the question; Has anyone tried buying a cheap tablet with GPS and uploading a navigation app to use in areas without a cell phone signal with good results? What app is best for back roads in remote areas? Do you have to sign up for a cell phone plan or could you use wifi in a Starbucks to load the app on the tablet. How do you pay for the app? Specific model of tablet that has actually worked to do this? Can it record waypoints and tracks? thanks for any help.
Mr. Bills
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2019 at 09:57 AM

Subscribed, by a fellow Luddite.
Nikno
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2019 at 10:15 AM

I am using a Samsung Galaxy Active 2 tablet running Android. I use Gaia GPS and it works great. The reason I chose this particular tablet is that it is very rugged. It comes in a rubberized case and it is drop resistant, water and dust resistant. I've put that thing through a lot and it has not failed me yet. You have to download detail maps which I usually do ahead of time on WiFi. Gaia GPS is great because it will sync across all of your devices, so your phone, tablet and computer will all have the same information. If your tablet dies, you can still follow along on your phone.

I use it to record my tracks and I can easily import and create tracks to follow and waypoints I want to see. Also, if you take a picture with your phone or your tablet using the app, it automatically creates a waypoint on the map with the picture and the coordinates which is great for remembering a specific location.

Pretty much any newer tablet will work as long as it has a good GPS unit in it. That is the most important thing. Make sure you read the reviews because the GPS does not work equally well on all tablets.

The GPS, Gaia and all navigation features work even if you don't have cell service.

Here is an example of a track that I recorded with my tablet complete with waypoints and pictures:

https://www.gaiagps.com/public/rFYSslDexMqZHhPU6ph17HX5

If you had Gaia you would be able to save that folder directly into your account and then you could follow my track.
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2019 at 10:19 AM

I have a cheap Android tablet - Astro Tab A10 - I think I paid about $70 on Amazon a couple of years ago - https://amzn.to/2InHVsN

I pair it with Garmin InReach via Bluetooth and use the Garmin Earthmate app. The maps are great and you download them on Wifi for offline use. I have an Explorer + but you can save a few bucks and just get the cheapest one SE+ for $289 https://amzn.to/31PHUFy

The monthly subscription starts around $12 and enables you to do two-way texting and monitored SOS emergency response. It's a must-have if you do any offroad Baja exploring.

Nikno
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2019 at 10:32 AM

I have a Garmin InReach as backup and for emergencies. I definitely agree that this is a must have if you are doing anything remote or off the beaten track (which much of Baja is). However the Earthmate App leaves A LOT to be desired and I do not think it is very good for navigation. There are many other apps out there which work way better for that. I recommend playing around with Gaia but there are other ones as well.
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2019 at 11:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Nikno  
I have a Garmin InReach as backup and for emergencies. I definitely agree that this is a must have if you are doing anything remote or off the beaten track (which much of Baja is). However the Earthmate App leaves A LOT to be desired and I do not think it is very good for navigation. There are many other apps out there which work way better for that. I recommend playing around with Gaia but there are other ones as well.

Yep. That's probably a fair assessment. I haven't tried it but once you've paired the InReach to the tablet you can use the GPS functions with Gaia as shown in this video - https://youtu.be/dkL6MaWCAPA

JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-4-2019 at 12:13 PM

Exactly what Nikno said is the correct way to go. Samsung Galaxy Active 2 is great. I like it because it can get wet, so good for boating. The screen is much brighter than an iPad which is great for using it in sunlight. You can get a less expensive Samsung Tab as well, and buy a good case for it.

The only thing I would change from Nikno's req, is that I like Back Country Navigator better then Gaia. But you cannot go wrong with either, and they are way better than anything else out there.

You have to make sure you get a tablet that supports cellular. Those are the ones that have built in GPS. You don't need a cell or Wi-Fi connection to use it thought. You download all the maps ahead of time for use when you have no internet connection.

Do not go with Gamin.

[Edited on 10-4-2019 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-4-2019 at 12:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Three2tango  

Yep. That's probably a fair assessment. I haven't tried it but once you've paired the InReach to the tablet you can use the GPS functions with Gaia as shown in this video - https://youtu.be/dkL6MaWCAPA

He only does that because he bought the wrong tablet. He bought a Wi-Fi only tablet. His setup is a hack to solve that mistake. The Inreach acts as a GPS source. This is an example of what not to do.

Inreach is good for 2 way text communication, not for GPS navigation and maps.

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2019 at 01:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

He only does that because he bought the wrong tablet. He bought a Wi-Fi only tablet. His setup is a hack to solve that mistake. The Inreach acts as a GPS source. This is an example of what not to do.

Inreach is good for 2 way text communication, not for GPS navigation and maps.

I don't think the Samsungs would fit the bill as a cheap tablet although I'm sure they're much higher quality than the cheapie I have. Can you back up your claim that's it better to use the internal GPS vs. the Garmin with any facts?

[Edited on 10-4-2019 by Three2tango]

JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-4-2019 at 02:34 PM

I don't think the Samsungs would fit the bill as a cheap tablet although I'm they're much higher quality than the cheapie I have. Can you back up your claim that's it better to use the internal GPS vs. the Garmin with any facts?

$140 with built in GPS. I'm sure you can find a used one for half that.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-16GB-T377A/dp/B01I...

Why would you want an external GPS when you can have an all in one? I was referring to Garmin's UI as total crap. The phone and tablet GPS apps are killer good.

Here's one for $108.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MXFXDT3/ref=dp_cr_wdg_tit_rfb

HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2019 at 03:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

$140 with built in GPS. I'm sure you can find a used one for half that.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-16GB-T377A/dp/B01I...

Why would you want an external GPS when you can have an all in one? I was referring to Garmin's UI as total crap. The phone and tablet GPS apps are killer good.

Here's one for $108.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MXFXDT3/ref=dp_cr_wdg_tit_rfb

Seems like good prices. Yeah, Garmin does need to work on the UI and overall functionality. Annoying also that you have to do advanced route planning online using their website and sync to the InReach. Still, I think it's a must-have device and you will want to pair it with a phone or tablet and use the Earthmate app at least for communication. The maps are a free included bonus. I found out it can only be paired to one device.

Goyo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2019 at 04:38 PM

I have an Asus 7" tablet (android) I bought used on ebay for around $50. It's GPS-enabled and I only use it for my Baja trips. I have GAIA app downloaded and I pay the basic annual fee (not the premium subscription). I also downloaded Earthmate so it will speak to my InReach. And I have a cool tide app.

I also travel with a laptop so when I'm at a hotel with wifi, I can write emails and check other things. Those are better with the laptop's bigger screen and a keyboard. And I download a ton of Netflix content on the laptop so the long, cold winter nights alone aren't as brutal.

I'm pretty low-tech and always seem to do things the wrong way. Having said that, here's how I use my GAIA. It always knows where I am and will show my location on a satellite map (because device is GPS-enabled), but the resolution is not good and gets blurry when I zoom in. But if I know where I'll be going, before I leave the US, I will download a bunch of map sections so I can view "offline" when I'm down there without wifi. The resolution is much better - especially if you download a bunch of smaller chunks. The larger the portion of map you download, the less you can zoom in.

GAIA also comes in handy because you can place location markers. So when I'm at home with a real computer, I can check out the dirt roads on Bing or Google maps. Then with this tablet also in front of me, I can figure out on the GAIA map where I need to turn so I'll place markers there. While driving in Baja, I watch the downloaded map on the device and follow my progress. When I come to a fork in the road, I check the markers I placed (while online) to see which way to proceed. I know there are people who always say, "just head for the coast," or "just keep heading East." But I've been in places that have dirt roads that aren't on any topo map that meander in all directions. And I've been pretty lost, which is not a good feeling when traveling solo. And I don't want to burn precious fuel driving 10-20 miles the wrong way!

So I realize that this goes against the adventure purists' rules, but my feeling is that if such technology exists, there's no harm in using it. Perhaps Gary Patton's outcome might have been different if he had some technology with him?
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2019 at 05:53 PM

JZ,
Not a good as your favorite system. but--
Among all the various gps stuff I use is InReach paired with their mapping SW called Earthmate. Get the "InReach Explorer+ or better for full features.
Visually Earthmate is pretty darn good. Good coloring and topo lines and all the roads and trails that Garmin has to offer. Downloads for the area of interest is easy and if your device has lots of memory lots of mapping is available. Updates are noted when needed. Works on all devices with an internal GPS & bluetooth. Easy menu to get needed coords, elevation etc.
Do Not I use it all the time. Other gps are available to play with.

For person that just wants main roads like a tourist with some city detail then "maps.me" or "Google maps, Off line" work just fine with no tech required except to load the desired maps before you head out. With Google maps you have to have "off-line" maps loaded in the situation where you do not have internet. maps.me does not use the internet except to load maps. Both work on all devices with a gps I thot they all had an internal gps? and bluetooth? Both apps are free.

BTW google maps is better than my car navigation Just put in a destination and listen to the complete directions. Good enough to not even need to see the screen on my phone.
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2019 at 12:48 PM

Thanks for advice. I have taken my first tentative, halting steps towards the world of touch screens, and ordered a "Dragon Touch V10" Android tablet, $65US with free ship on eBay. Honestly, I am already hating the whole process. I looked at Google Maps on my PC and the roads are white with a light grey background, really hard on the eyes an you can not change the colors. When my Dragon arrives I am going to have to download maps for offline use for everywhere I go, another learning curve. For my level of tech knowledge I think a dedicated GPS that works out of the box without endless downloading and tweaking and techie crap will be what I eventually go with, but at least I will be able to check my email on the road with my new Dragon 10" tablet!
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2019 at 01:10 PM

On another note, I do like the idea of having an Inreach (now owned by Garmin) I am often by myself, sometimes in places they would find you by watching the buzzards circle. I make a rule to tell someone where I am going and when I will be back but that depends on whoever you told remembering where you said you were going and when you will be back. I think the holy grail of navigation would be a GPS with pre loaded google earth satellite view but that would take a ton of memory and effort to figure it out. All of this stuff is set up to work where you have a cell phone signal, so they can track your every movement, but getting it to work off the cloud is the hard part.

[Edited on 10-5-2019 by bajaric]
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2019 at 01:38 PM

Travel by yourself. The rule has been proven countless times that solo traveling in the outback is very risky. Simple events can trap you where nobody can find you. If you are long time reader of this forum you can find many examples where people were found and some were never found. A tracker means you will be found.
You need a tracker. Or someone to partner with.
The simple tracker is the basic SPOT. Now available for more money with messaging. Inreach is the best. Advantage will be Earthmate with excellent images - quite an improvement from any free App - get explorer or better.
Load your new device at home with fast Internet and you will be good to go with GM or M.Me
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-5-2019 at 02:06 PM

I almost bought a Spot tracker a couple of years ago, but balked at having to pay for a year subscription for just a couple of months of use. They also annoyed a lot of people by automatically billing the original credit card number annually if you fail to terminate service.

I see that they now have temporary plans (like inreach does) so I may finally get one. From what I have read, Inreach seems like the best unit, but my needs are simple, and the spot could meet them at a lower cost.

I know, I know....I am getting cheap with a potentially life saving item, but the K.I.S.S. discipline is also ingrained in me!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-5-2019 at 02:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaric  
Thanks for advice. I have taken my first tentative, halting steps towards the world of touch screens, and ordered a "Dragon Touch V10" Android tablet, $65US with free ship on eBay. Honestly, I am already hating the whole process. I looked at Google Maps on my PC and the roads are white with a light grey background, really hard on the eyes an you can not change the colors. When my Dragon arrives I am going to have to download maps for offline use for everywhere I go, another learning curve. For my level of tech knowledge I think a dedicated GPS that works out of the box without endless downloading and tweaking and techie crap will be what I eventually go with, but at least I will be able to check my email on the road with my new Dragon 10" tablet!

It's pretty easy to do. Your number one source for info is Youtube. There are a lot of videos on BCN and Gaia. Let me know if you want me to post some.

If you spent a couple days playing with it you'll be a pro soon enough.

I have 100's of miles of 4x4 trails for Baja. They load on BCN or Gaia in seconds. PM me if you want me to share some.

Standalone GPS's are not good.

Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2019 at 07:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I almost bought a Spot tracker a couple of years ago, but balked at having to pay for a year subscription for just a couple of months of use. They also annoyed a lot of people by automatically billing the original credit card number annually if you fail to terminate service.

I see that they now have temporary plans (like inreach does) so I may finally get one. From what I have read, Inreach seems like the best unit, but my needs are simple, and the spot could meet them at a lower cost.

I know, I know....I am getting cheap with a potentially life saving item, but the K.I.S.S. discipline is also ingrained in me!

I highly recommend getting a device with 2 way communication such as the inReach SE or the Spot X. I have an inReach Explorer which I love. I bought an epirb after a horrible incident that I had years ago, but then the inReach Explorer came out so I later bought one of those. So now I carry both while on my boat anyways.

Trust me on this, If you ever REALLY NEED your butt saved, you would happily spend thousands for one of these devices. I know I would have.... Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

I would definitely get something that has 2 way satellite communication. You might have a minor issue where you need help but don't necessarily want to activate the SOS signal and get the whole Calvary coming.

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-6-2019 at 08:34 AM

As many of you know, I had an inReach device during all my solo trips researching for the Baja Bound road guide in 2017 and 2018. It was so nice to communicate via text or email to my wife and some Nomads while I was in the backcountry. StuckSucks (and others) would watch my moving location on their screens, ask questions, or give advice. It was very reassuring!

With the inReach paired to my cell phone, I had a larger, color map as I was driving as well as an easier to type on keyboard for communicating. The Earthmate app that it uses to mate with the cell phone worked everywhere via Bluetooth with the inReach. The inReach needs a clear view of the sky (it does work inside the car) so if I was at a motel and wanted to text my wife, I would leave the inReach in my truck and type on my phone in the room. The Bluetooth was good to about 50 feet.
It is a winner for Baja travelers!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.