BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Baja maps on android tablet?
matthew_mangus
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2019 at 12:15 PM

As others have noted, using Gaia on a tablet works well for following tracks and looking at downloaded map tiles. I'd add that I use Google Earth, Maps and especially Google MyMaps to do most of my research and planning. MyMaps is useful bc it has layers. I create layers for each day's route, POIs, camp spots, etc. I then export the route as a KML file and bring it into Gaia for offline use. I'm always on the lookout for new tech and better tools and have occasionally tried other methods but keep coming back to this workflow.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2019 at 03:42 PM

Yes, the more advanced tools do work better than the basic tool request that bajaric asked for.
Lots of threads on how to deal with Gaia. Send your comments over there where they would be desired.
geronimo21
Junior Nomad

Mood: A Baja State of Mind

[*] posted on 10-12-2019 at 12:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

You have to make sure you get a tablet that supports cellular. Those are the ones that have built in GPS.

[Edited on 10-4-2019 by JZ]

I think you can buy tablets that don't support cellular but that do have GPS functionality. Looking at them online now.
Mr. Bills
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2019 at 03:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by geronimo21  

I think you can buy tablets that don't support cellular but that do have GPS functionality. Looking at them online now.

Please report back with what you find and which ones are "best buys."
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2019 at 06:01 PM

Link one. I see a bunch of tablets that support only 3G that have GPS. The are only $75.

To clarify, you don't have to get cellular service (i.e. you don't have to have an active plan or anything) for it to use the GPS. But I've never seen a W-Fi only tablet have GPS.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2019 at 09:45 AM

Update on my progress, not good. To recap, I got a Dragon Touch 10" tablet. This is a wifi only tablet; no cell phone, no way to connect to hi speed modem with cord. OK, so my house does not have wifi, so took it to Starbucks, would not connect, error message "your connection is not private, hackers may be trying to steal your credit card information" OK back home, watched several youtube videos in heavy Indian accents, determine that clock must be set for local time. (none of this is in owners manual, which is the size of three large postage stamps) back to Starbucks, yay, error message gone, but still can not connect to wifi. Starbucks is weird, bunch of people sitting there next to each other staring at lap tops, not talking to each other. Order a small coffee, and informed that it is called a "tall" coffee. Anyways, do not want to turn this into a wifi help desk, just basically want to say that the learning curve involved with this is too stiff for me, every time I try to do anything with this tablet I feel my blood pressure going up and my head starts to hurt, and I fantasize about laying it on the grass, removing the revolver from the safe, and discharging several rounds into it, except I would get arrested. do not recommend. This tablet does have one functionality that I can use; it has a slot for a micro sd card, so I can snip sections of maps from the internet on my pc, then insert the sd card in the tablet, and it will shown the map. whoo hooo! no gps functionality or internet connectivity I guess what did I expect from a fifty dollar refurbished tablet. I suppose some 8 year old kid could show me how to use this, raised up from infancy staring at a touch screen but my work here is done. I just want a f-ing gps with a map to show where I am without spending a thousand hours figuring out how it works. Garmin here I come. end of rant. edit: this tabled DOES have GPS, but I can't get it to connect to the wifi at Starbucks to download the app to make the GPS work. Also, it can be connected to a PC with USB cord, but the only thing you can do is transfer files like pictures, you can not use it to do anything else while connected to the PC

[Edited on 10-17-2019 by bajaric]
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2019 at 09:56 AM

My Garmin Nuvi with e32 maps works great! I´ve used it all over Baja and Mainland. Baja and Copper Canyon have the most detailed tracks. Oh and if you don´t already have one the Garmin bc30 back up camera is a nice add on!

[Edited on 10-17-2019 by chippy]
Nikno
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2019 at 10:39 AM

I would recommend returning the Dragon Touch and getting a Samsung. It will cost you $150 - 200 more, but you will save yourself so much in stress, time and aggravation that it will be worth it. This is one area that is not really worth going on the cheap. Also, I really suggest getting a cellular enabled device. It will cost a bit more but it is so worth it. The device can even act as a back up in case you lose your phone or it gets damaged. I have ATT and I was able to get a SIM card for $20. There is no monthly fee. All of the data that I use just counts against the regular data on my phone. So if I don't use cellular data on the tablet, no charge. It depends on your cellular plan, but it is worth it in my opinion for peace of mind and safety. Plus downloading maps and getting online directions are way easier.
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2019 at 11:01 AM

You can try bypassing the message. Sounds like a Chrome browser - https://whatsabyte.com/featured/your-connection-is-not-priva...

If you have Internet at home, you might contact your provider and ask about getting wifi or go to Best Buy and have the Geek Squad come out and set you up.

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2019 at 11:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaric  
Update on my progress, not good. To recap, I got a Dragon Touch 10" tablet. This is a wifi only tablet; no cell phone, no way to connect to hi speed modem with cord. OK, so my house does not have wifi, so took it to Starbucks, would not connect, error message "your connection is not private, hackers may be trying to steal your credit card information" OK back home, watched several youtube videos in heavy Indian accents, determine that clock must be set for local time. (none of this is in owners manual, which is the size of three large postage stamps) back to Starbucks, yay, error message gone, but still can not connect to wifi. Starbucks is weird, bunch of people sitting there next to each other staring at lap tops, not talking to each other. Order a small coffee, and informed that it is called a "tall" coffee. Anyways, do not want to turn this into a wifi help desk, just basically want to say that the learning curve involved with this is too stiff for me, every time I try to do anything with this tablet I feel my blood pressure going up and my head starts to hurt, and I fantasize about laying it on the grass, removing the revolver from the safe, and discharging several rounds into it, except I would get arrested. do not recommend. This tablet does have one functionality that I can use; it has a slot for a micro sd card, so I can snip sections of maps from the internet on my pc, then insert the sd card in the tablet, and it will shown the map. whoo hooo! no gps functionality or internet connectivity I guess what did I expect from a fifty dollar refurbished tablet. I suppose some 8 year old kid could show me how to use this, raised up from infancy staring at a touch screen but my work here is done. I just want a f-ing gps with a map to show where I am without spending a thousand hours figuring out how it works. Garmin here I come. end of rant. edit: this tabled DOES have GPS, but I can't get it to connect to the wifi at Starbucks to download the app to make the GPS work. Also, it can be connected to a PC with USB cord, but the only thing you can do is transfer files like pictures, you can not use it to do anything else while connected to the PC

[Edited on 10-17-2019 by bajaric]

Get a Samsung Tab. One that supports cellular. You don't need a cellular plan. The Wi-Fi only ones don't have GPS.

If you have a Samsung phone, it will automatically load all the apps you have on your phone to your tablet. It's awesome. It also automatically transfers all your Wi-Fi logins. Meaning my tablet automatically connected to the Wi-Fi at my house.

Pro tip, put all the map downloads on a micro SD. You can copy it from one card to another. I.e. download it on one device and then share it to other devices (your tablet, your kid's phone, a friend you are traveling with, etc.).

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2019 at 11:55 AM

I have not given up on this yet, but agree Garmin Nuvi is a workhorse tested and true - I have one, but it does not have backcountry tracks.
Nikno, good advice to get a quality brand with cellular capability, I am definitely trying to do this on the cheap.

three2, yes. its a Google thing. I am not familiar with the OS or with touch screens, so having to go to Starbucks every time to test the wifi gets kind of old, especially when the cute girl says to her friend Why is that bald man turning red and cursing.. So I got a wireless router to test the thing at home now have to figure out how to hook that up (shudder..) and can keep working on it. Its not so easy but the dream is alive!
DouglasP
Nomad

Mood: Goat hunter.

[*] posted on 10-17-2019 at 12:32 PM

bajaric, can you hotspot with your cell phone for WIFI? Might be easier than dorking with a router. :light:
Also I have an Asus brand tablet, model P01M. Punch that into Amazon. $120.

I like beer, better than most people.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2019 at 09:46 AM

Has anyone put Murdock maps on a Nuvi?
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2019 at 11:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Has anyone put Murdock maps on a Nuvi?

Haven't tried those but have loaded US topo maps on my 10-year-old unit free from here - https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/ The maps aren't routable which I imagine would be the case for any non Garmin. I have successfully added POI data for Baja from http://app.ioverlander.com/ camgrounds, gas stations, water, restaurants etc.

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-21-2019 at 02:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

You have to make sure you get a tablet that supports cellular. Those are the ones that have built in GPS.

[Edited on 10-4-2019 by JZ]

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a wifi-only Android tablet that DOESNT have GPS, these days, outside of the Fire HD tablets. Virtually every Samsung has it. It's the wifi-only Ipads that generally dont have GPS.

Plug "wifi tablet gps" into the Amazon search engine and you will get dozens and dozens of returns.

My five year old Samsung Tab Pro 8.4, wifi-only tablet has GPS. I use it as a GPS with mapping software in Europe and N.A., whenever I travel and rent a car. Still running Kit Kat.
castone001

[*] posted on 10-29-2019 at 09:56 AM

I use a couple different options depending on where I go. Let me recap a couple that I have used over the years. One thing to note is that I always carry a Map and Compass as a last resort option. Electronics are awesome but they can and will fail :)

SAFETY/Communication:
1) I have the Inreach Explorer+ Paired to my Samsung Note phone or Galaxy Tab. Having the SOS feature and the two way communication features or a MUST HAVE. I also use the mapping feature of Earthmate but find its pretty much OK not a ton of detail but you will always know where you are

Navigation:
2) For Baja: E32 maps: available on Garmin or iPhone. Pricey but the detail is pretty amazing. I used it primarily on a Garmin Montana while exploring on my DR650 with a handle bar mount.
I stopped using e32 until they release the Android version and I am sure I will buy that one for all my Baja explorations.

3) Earthmate App loaded on my Samsung Galaxy Tab3 and Note phone with Baja Maps downloaded. I can track where I am and see the main points of interest/waypoints I can pre load using the desktop app or the tab app. Not a lot of detail for enough to safely navigate around Baja.

4) for any California exploring/trails/POI's etc I use California Trail Maps and LocusMaps PRO application on my Tablet or my phone. Pretty featured driven Mapping app and the Maps from California Trail maps are extensive/detailed and great to use

So in my humble opinion if exploring anywhere in the back country you really should have at least a Paper Map and Compass as well as #1 above at a minimum. Then try out a couple different options. They will all do about the same thing, show you where you are and where you been and where you are going. Its really a personal choice with how much detail, ease of use and for some cost.

im no expert but happy to share what little knowledge I have gained and try and answer any questions you may have.

Mr. Bills
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2019 at 11:25 AM

Has anyone loaded the e32 map onto a Garmin Nuvi, whether generally or specifically the 2460?

Any issues that I should be aware of before making my purchase of the map?

Preferred vendors?
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2019 at 11:28 AM

Earthmate comment:
Currently they have a huge void for portions of Baja. It worked fine last winter now it is broken.
The other InReach features seem to be working.

The next best alternative would be Google maps, or maps.me with offline maps loaded.
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2019 at 01:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Earthmate comment:
Currently they have a huge void for portions of Baja. It worked fine last winter now it is broken.
The other InReach features seem to be working.

The next best alternative would be Google maps, or maps.me with offline maps loaded.

It looks like you can only get the Open Street Map and Digital Atlas of Earth for Mexico now.

bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2019 at 02:53 PM

Update! To recap, cheap Dragon Touch tablet - wifi only, with GPS. Refurbished tablet seemed to have error issues right out of the box (do not recommend maybe Asus better) but once I got it connected to wifi I got it to work! Thing is really almost a toy, for a child to use but that is the cheap factor.

This had pre loaded Android apps on it like YouTube and Chrome search engine, plus Google Maps. On Google maps if you touch the little three bars and select "offline areas" then use your fingers to outline a rectangle, then save it. it downloads it so later you can use the GPS on the map when out of range of wifi. And, it worked. I downloaded by neighborhood and drove a few miles away an the GPS showed a dot on the map where I was.

caveats: you must have the GPS on by sliding the touchscreen toggle. YouTube and Chrome worked on w fi without logging in but to download maps you must have google email account. also the larger the area you select the less detail, although I did get Mexicali map in good detail This Also has satellite map view, so you can switch back and forth between street map and satellite view although it is blurry if you select a large area. all and all ok and you can surf the web and check email if you can get the wifi to work. this one never did work at starbucks, next time I think I will try for a better quality tab--

[Edited on 10-29-2019 by bajaric]
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.