BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Guns from the United States are stoking a homicide epidemic in Mexico
JohnGaltSpeaking
Junior Nomad

Mood: where have all of the smart people gone?

[*] posted on 10-7-2019 at 02:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Quote: Originally posted by JohnGaltSpeaking  
so if there is a correlation between the number of American guns and a country's homicide rate shouldn't the United States, with all of its guns, have a much higher rate than Mexico?

Don't forget the accidental shootings and suicides in the USA as well. Perhaps we should look at all deaths and injuries due to firearms in Mexico versus the US:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-r...

Looks like overall firearms related deaths are much higher in the US (almost 2X) than in Mexico. Homicide rates higher in Mexico, but suicides are far greater in the USA.

Suicide by gun appears to be more prevalent than homicide by gun in the USA.

John

[Edited on 10-7-2019 by John Harper]

great link, which proves the point. specifically the statistic that shows we have almost 10 times the guns that mexico has. (mexico has 15 guns per 100 inhabitants, US has 120 per 100) so if there were to exist a correlation, Mexico should have 10 times the rate, not less than 2X.
as for the suicide rate, having easier access to guns obviously leads to a higher suicide rate given the fact that it is a much more successful way to die.
according to this article: http://lostallhope.com/suicide-methods/statistics-most-letha... 3 of the 5 most lethal methods of suicide involve the use of a gun.
mexico has a homicide problem and the united states has a suicide problem, but looking at all of these statistics leads to the fact that guns are not the reason behind either. which is difficult to admit as i am for gun control, but becomes easier as i am much more for responsible journalism.

[Edited on 10-7-2019 by JohnGaltSpeaking]
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2019 at 02:55 PM

Yes, JGS, I agree. Even though I am a gun owner, I do wish we could figure out a way to keep them from the wrong hands, and subsequent tragic usage. There doesn't seem to be any one "magic bullet" that can affect much, although I have no problem with a 10 round magazine limit, as a step to possibly make mass shootings more difficult. Notice, I say possibly, as we don't even know what triggers most these nutcase shooters.

Maybe it's not the guns, but the human race that is the flawed product on the market. A recall can't come soon enough.

John

JohnGaltSpeaking
Junior Nomad

Mood: where have all of the smart people gone?

[*] posted on 10-7-2019 at 03:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Yes, JGS, I agree. Even though I am a gun owner, I do wish we could figure out a way to keep them from the wrong hands, and subsequent tragic usage. There doesn't seem to be any one "magic bullet" that can affect much, although I have no problem with a 10 round magazine limit, as a step to possibly make mass shootings more difficult. Notice, I say possibly, as we don't even know what triggers most these nutcase shooters.

Maybe it's not the guns, but the human race that is the flawed product on the market. A recall can't come soon enough.

John

nice to put the stats away and get philosophical about it because that is what is needed. when a modern day issue is being defended by an amendment almost 300 years old, we need to have a different discussion. i have nothing but praise to add to your closing statement, as i completely agree, except this: there was a time when thinking this way was considered pessimistic, but we seem to be realists now with that train of thought. and while that may be a bad thing or a good thing (probaby both), it does allow me to know that these type of discussions no longer fall on deaf ears.

science, God, the simulation, blue pill/red pill, nothing... whatever you want to believe in, something is clearly wrong. too many deaths, too much destruction. is the world a bad place? no, but it should be better. our strange mix of greatness and consequence produces a final product that always leads us to believe that humanity will always prevail. but isn't the ever presence and constant test of that faith a flaw in and of itself? why have we not "prevailed" already?

[Edited on 10-7-2019 by JohnGaltSpeaking]
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 10-7-2019 at 04:48 PM

Firstly, I joined the NRA before they kept enrollment records (about 1963-4?). Hunted and fished all my life, including the most dangerous game on earth. Still own a few firearms, have since sold most.

That being said, back in the hey-daze of the roaring '20s and prohibition when the Capones of the country ruled the roost, Thompson sub-machine guns and Browning Automatic Rifles (BAR's) were outlawed because as sold OTC the crooks out-gunned the coppers.

I see no reason whatsoever to NOT outlaw AR-15 and AK-47 type assault weapons, ESPECIALLY high volume magazines, as the criminal types now out-gun beat-cops. If done, I don't see any quick 'results' from the move; whack-o's will still have their hardware, but maybe down the line will eventually make a difference. Also stiffer background checks and bans on things like bump stocks that have no usefulness whatsoever in the private sector, as well as possession of things like bullet-proof vests.

Let common sense prevail, please. Been enough killing already.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2019 at 05:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
Firstly, I joined the NRA before they kept enrollment records (about 1963-4?). Hunted and fished all my life, including the most dangerous game on earth. Still own a few firearms, have since sold most.

That being said, back in the hey-daze of the roaring '20s and prohibition when the Capones of the country ruled the roost, Thompson sub-machine guns and Browning Automatic Rifles (BAR's) were outlawed because as sold OTC the crooks out-gunned the coppers.

I see no reason whatsoever to NOT outlaw AR-15 and AK-47 type assault weapons, ESPECIALLY high volume magazines, as the criminal types now out-gun beat-cops. If done, I don't see any quick 'results' from the move; whack-o's will still have their hardware, but maybe down the line will eventually make a difference. Also stiffer background checks and bans on things like bump stocks that have no usefulness whatsoever in the private sector, as well as possession of things like bullet-proof vests.

Let common sense prevail, please. Been enough killing already.

Although I don't own either an AR or AK, I've really gone back and forth on whether a ban would be that effective versus a strict magazine limit. I guess kind of "chicken or the egg" argument. Since semi-automatic actions are common on other platforms, why select only those two?

Still, I'd be open to a 5 round limit on magazines. The issue of six shooter revolvers can just be a general exception.

You'll never need more than 5, probably not even hunting dangerous game. And, I really can't see a platoon of muggers attacking you on the street. But, if you think you need 30 rounds to protect yourself from the government, then you have problems no gun can solve.

John

[Edited on 10-8-2019 by John Harper]
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 10-7-2019 at 08:05 PM
Don't Leave Home Without One

A loaded gun, that is.

I don't.

Mostly, anyway.

Not having to actually shoot AT someone in 40+ years ('78 in Indio), it is still reassuring to know that the option is available should the necessity arise.

BUT. whatever.

As therapeutic as these recurring discussions may be, the FACT is that they are going NOWHERE at the Federal level for (at least) the next couple of years and likely not after that for (at least) a few beyond.

As they say ............... "Happiness is a warm gun".
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.