Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: vehicle storage options
matthew_mangus
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2019 at 11:15 PM
vehicle storage options

I've got the idea in my head that I want to find storage options on the N and S ends of the Baja so that I can fly and drive and avoid the boring 6 days of I-5 between Portland, OR and the border. I've located storage options at the Loreto and San Jose del Cabo airports and now I'm on the hunt for an option that's reasonably close to the San Diego airport. I'd especially like to find places that would allow a month-to-month arrangement so that I would only be paying when the vehicle was in storage at a particular location.

I want to do this so that I can have my own reliable vehicle ( Land Cruiser outfitted with sturdy AT tires and air compressor, solar panels, fridge, etc) rather than making do with expensive rentals.

Is anybody on here already doing this. Any tips / pitfalls to be aware of?
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 10-7-2019 at 08:30 AM

Of the pros and cons of storage, on of the cons is the intense weather that can put a toll on your vehicle. In the San Diego/northern Baja not so bad but in the southern part of Baja between the intense heat and sun and then the rains from hurricanes it is something to consider.

I would suggest you put in an on/off switch ("pergo?") so your battery does not get run down and also is a security feature. If you don't want to do that get a solar battery tender for your battery. Also cover the windshield wiper blades and keep the sun off of the blades.

Another thing to consider is how are you going to keep the car registered? If you from California you need to get it smoged every couple of years and keep insurance which will be worthless in Mexico. Not sure about Oregon's rules.

Another con is when you fly you are limited to stuff you can bring. We all need more and more stuff! :))

All in all even with the above it's a great time saver to simply fly and have your car ready.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2019 at 09:48 AM

I keep my truck in Loreto for 4-5 months a year. Do 3-4 trips every time I leave it.

We use Loreto Storage which is about a 1/4 mile from the the airport. It's not cheap, but the service is very good. Shuttle, they disconnect the battery for you, wash it before you come, etc.

I keep the truck in a covered space and put all our bikes and gear in a 10x10.

[Edited on 10-7-2019 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2019 at 10:16 AM

Smart thinking. If you live farther than SoCal, - leave the car in your Baja place and fly in/out of the closest airport. Theft from unattended place is possible though. Hard to suggest anything to tourists without a permanent place, leased or own. Depends on how much you are willing to pay, how often you need that car, how far you're willing to travel from the airport to the storage. Unbeknownst to some, there is a highway bus in Baja, several times a day. Storage in places along the bus route like Mulege or Sta Rosalia could be cheaper than Loreto, easy flight to San Diego and overnight bus from Tijuana to storage place, cost of the trip will be half of the LTO flight.

Unless you pay big bucks for a covered storage, it will be open. Paint will fade, but solar on the roof will keep battery happy. Water in plastic reservoir (not in the radiator) always dries out through the summer. Cabo and La Paz are vulnerable to hurricane damage. Oddly, in Mulege with its much cursed floods there can be good options away from the river, and there is less wind damage than farther South.

For open storage, look what other people do. Cover the wheels, cover the windows and windshield, especially on the South side.

[Edited on 10-7-2019 by Alm]
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 10-7-2019 at 10:27 AM

I have friends who store their cars, etc. at Loreto Storage and are very pleased. I have never heard of a theft issue there.

Pricey, yes, but in the long run between all the gas, wear and tear, etc. it will be a steal.

Don't forget the big bonus, you spend more time at your destinations rather than dodging semi's. There is a lot to be said for driving as it is beautiful but nothing like being at your happy place the same day as you close your house door and rat race behind you.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

geraldalexander7
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2019 at 11:56 AM

Another idea for you is store your vehicle on private property
It would be watched and cared for by the caretaker and you would receive personal attention.
See your u2u

Facebook.com/Gerald Beltran
Casas & Condos for rent in La Paz...$100US per/month.....Daily & weekly rates also.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-7-2019 at 04:33 PM

I got nothing on where, or how to store your rigs, but on improving the journey south "Go east young man!"

On my last trip south, I was driving an old Kia Sportage pulling a small utility trailer. It was great all the way through Canada, but when I got on I-5 southbound, I could barely keep up with the big rigs!

I felt like a comma in the middle of a long line of text...ALL CAPS! Some where near Bellingham, I found my way over highway 20 (beautiful drive) and zig-zagged my way down the eastern side of Washington and Oregon.

I headed back west when I got to Reno, because I was headed to a place just over Donner Summit. If I was ready for the Baja portion of the trip, I would have kept driving south on 95, or 395 (another beautiful drive)!

I would rather drive the east side of the Sierras and cross at Mexicalli or Algodones or San Luis than deal with I-5 through central and southern CA, then T.J. and Ensenada!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2019 at 07:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I got nothing on where, or how to store your rigs, but on improving the journey south "Go east young man!"

On my last trip south, I was driving an old Kia Sportage pulling a small utility trailer. It was great all the way through Canada, but when I got on I-5 southbound, I could barely keep up with the big rigs!

I felt like a comma in the middle of a long line of text...ALL CAPS! Some where near Bellingham, I found my way over highway 20 (beautiful drive) and zig-zagged my way down the eastern side of Washington and Oregon.

I headed back west when I got to Reno, because I was headed to a place just over Donner Summit. If I was ready for the Baja portion of the trip, I would have kept driving south on 95, or 395 (another beautiful drive)!

I would rather drive the east side of the Sierras and cross at Mexicalli or Algodones or San Luis than deal with I-5 through central and southern CA, then T.J. and Ensenada!

Have done both. This is fantastic advice.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

matthew_mangus
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2019 at 07:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

Great point. I've driven most of 395 from Southern CA up into Central WA and vastly prefer that to driving the I-5. I'm also learning that the newer W Mexicali crossing seems to be preferred over Tecate. ...and the mordida crimes seem to be increasing in Tecate anyway so it might make sense to steer further East.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2019 at 07:13 PM

FYI I do this and I love it, you can also "Store" your car in a race prep shop where they complete your detailed list to trick it out for your arrival, it's actually cheaper than storage and it's ready to rock! Enjoy Baja there is nothing like it!

[Edited on 10-8-2019 by gnukid]

IMG_8228 (1).jpg - 145kBIMG_8229 (1).jpg - 127kBIMG_8231 (1).jpg - 155kBIMG_8232 (1).jpg - 110kB
matthew_mangus
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2019 at 07:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
FYI I do this and I love it, you can also "Store" your car in a race prep shop where they complete your detailed list to trick it out for your arrival, it's actually cheaper than storage and it's ready to rock! Enjoy Baja there is nothing like it!

Brilliant idea! I'm going to start learning what the best 4x4 and race prep shops there are near the airports. I think the harder thing is going to be finding a cost effective solution reasonably near the San Diego airport. My preference would be to be able to plan a one-way trip the length of Baja each time I visit. This would allow a lot of exploring over a 7-10 day time span.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-7-2019 at 07:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by matthew_mangus  
Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  

Brilliant idea! I'm going to start learning what the best 4x4 and race prep shops there are near the airports. I think the harder thing is going to be finding a cost effective solution reasonably near the San Diego airport.

You will pay more for storage near airport (in city, sports arena area, mission valley, etc). Cheaper storage units in the burbs. 30 minutes to the burbs, uber ride off-peak commute period.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

matthew_mangus
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2019 at 07:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

You will pay more for storage near airport (in city, sports arena area, mission valley, etc). Cheaper storage units in the burbs. 30 minutes to the burbs, uber ride off-peak commute period.

Good point. I should just be ready to deal with a 30 min / $50 Uber ride out to the burbs.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2019 at 09:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
I have friends who store their cars, etc. at Loreto Storage and are very pleased. I have never heard of a theft issue there.

It was said "unattended place". Like someone's Baja place (leased, own, whatever), vacant for several months.

Paid storage has attendants, usually.

Most camp owners will be happy to accommodate a car for not too much money. And it will be watched.
aburruss
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2019 at 09:59 PM

I live 15-20 minutes east of the San Diego airport, and have acreage in a quiet neighborhood where I'd be willing to store a vehicle.

I've also got a shop on the property, and while I don't have any room to store your rig INSIDE, I am a gearhead, and am willing and able to do work on it for you too, if that's something you need.

Message me if you're interested in either or both options!
matthew_mangus
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2019 at 10:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by aburruss  
I live 15-20 minutes east of the San Diego airport, and have acreage in a quiet neighborhood where I'd be willing to store a vehicle.

I've also got a shop on the property, and while I don't have any room to store your rig INSIDE, I am a gearhead, and am willing and able to do work on it for you too, if that's something you need.

Message me if you're interested in either or both options!

Wow! That is an amazingly kind offer. I'll send you a message.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2019 at 03:45 AM

Let's say you pay $50-$75/month for outdoor secure storage and $150 a month for indoor secure storage, there's $600-1700/year you could be paying a shop to work on the car instead.

I've had the same 'ol cars for more than 15 years and they are perfect now.

It's important to ask for things on a schedule and manner that reduces risk and ensures the car is ready to go. As others mentioned I have extra togo parts, battery, wipers and so forth ready for my arrival. So I can refresh those if needed. Wipers and wiper fluid are helpful.

I found it's not helpful to ask others disconnect battery or restart often, since that can cause un-needed wear or damage, for example, someone else may think its good to disconnect and connect the battery and start the car every month, but in the process they are stripping and wearing out the the bolts and battery pos/neg stud and may be starting the car with low fluids. I just top off the battery, check fluids and start personally, when I arrive.

I have not had good success with typical airport storage lots, they seem to be dusty, dirty and cause more damage and risk, but it is a quick and dirty option at most airports.

Lastly, a Range Rover or unique euro car is not a preferred car for this type of initiative since its too special, a regular more common car is more easy to service up and down Baja, like Toyota 22R, Ford 351w (coyote) chevy 350 etc pick your poison.

I generally have all high quality spare parts ready to go, starter, alt, water pump, clutch, brake pads, brake fluid, oil and filter, air cleaner, fuel line, filter, grease, door jam, even windows, complete stainless bolt kit and full gasket kit, 2 spares, 2 jacks, the cost is quite low to buy everything in advance and have it ready. People laugh at me for always having the parts ready when things go wrong, and then we are back up and running in a few minutes, still laughing and your ready to help others in the brecha.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.