Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Tire survivor Kit
Justbozo
Nomad

Mood: Got my little stone hut on the bay

[*] posted on 10-11-2019 at 10:31 AM

All very good stuff!
I have most everything but need to get it more organized.
Always seemed as though it was missing something.
It needs pepper!
matthew_mangus
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2019 at 05:46 PM

Great kit. I added the pepper and Colby valves today. Much appreciated.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2019 at 05:54 AM

How common is a damaged valve stem? I don't think I recall anyone ever having that problem or even hearing a story about it. Of course, I'm not a hard core off roader. Maybe rock hopping can do it?

I know from last summer that flats are surprisingly common in the backcountry. The plug kit and compressor were critical "on board" items for sure.

John
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2019 at 06:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Mulege Canuck  
I use a cheap drill with a bit as a reamer.
Bingo!

I once put one of those tee handled reamers halfway through my hand when the stubborn rubber on a quad tire vs HF pos plastic tee handle reamer forced the reamer shaft up through the top of the plastic tee handle and into my palm. HF is truly a love hate thing.

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2019 at 07:35 AM

The drill idea is a good one, however that item is not one I carry. Fixing the flat after getting home works great with a drill.
Regarding valve stems
* The bolt on rigid metal ones are most likely to get broken off. Never use them for off road. The bling is not worth the trouble because you must have the Colby repair to get home.

* The short soft rubber one are best. However the darn things were recalled a few years back because they kept failing. Regardless all my rigs now have the short flexible ones.
* Beware of the ones that are half soft and rigid. Soft to allow pull thru to install, but rigid metal up to the cap. Not at all like the short rubber ones. Long rubber ones are also OK. I had multiple failures on these things. Last tire purchase I asked about them and was told they no longer available.
Caveat. Memory fails. Maybe the recall was for the soft install metal one??
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 10-15-2019 at 08:23 AM

Question- my pickup has aluminum wheels with short enough valve stems I can't get the bicycle pump nozzle on the tire valve. Anybody know of a good valve stem extender for that purpose? I never had that issue w/steel wheels.

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2019 at 08:43 AM

Auto stores should sell the extenders to work with s=certain pumps. Take them off when not needed. The ones I use are about 1" long. Never found any choices for different ones. The the stores all sell the same thing.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2019 at 03:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by EngineerMike  
Question- my pickup has aluminum wheels with short enough valve stems I can't get the bicycle pump nozzle on the tire valve. Anybody know of a good valve stem extender for that purpose? I never had that issue w/steel wheels.

That's why I got the Viair compressor with the screw on connector. I use a bicycle pump at home on my Harley (short metal stems) and it's a PITA to get the lever-style hose connector on the rear wheel. I only usually need a couple pounds so breaking out the compressor isn't worth it, but it is a struggle to get it down on the stem to where you can pump air.

John
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-15-2019 at 07:33 PM

In addition to the kit for field repairs, I carry an inner tube with me. If you can limp in to a tire repair shop with leaky field repairs, installing a boot and tube can probably get you home with out having to shop for a matching tire.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BajaNaranja
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2019 at 12:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Those are some respectable Baja pin stripes...
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.