Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Reports of 1-ton vehicles being denied entry at AZ crossings
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-9-2019 at 11:46 AM
Reports of 1-ton vehicles being denied entry at AZ crossings

Someone on the San Carlos Sonora board recently posted about some 1-ton trucks being denied, or being made to prove it is a non-commercial vehicle, at the "Nogales" AZ crossing. Unclear as to which of the two crossings it was. Some were towing cargo trailers. Some were just single vehicles. In fact, in the case of three 1-ton trucks pulling a 5th wheel or a TT that had secured a 10-year TIP for their RV, their TIP was revoked. Or, so all of this was reported on the On The Road in Mexico Facebook site, anyway.

Has anyone entering at any of the crossings into Baja heard or experienced this?

Of course, the Nogales crossings, like the Baja crossings, are into the "hassle-free" zones, with respect to vehicles.

This issue began surfacing about 2-3 years ago at the Texas/Mexico crossings. But these were the first times that it had occurred at Nogales, AZ.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2019 at 01:49 PM

It is the law. Pretty soon the border people will all get up to speed. Solution is to declare the heavy trucks as commercial.
Baja reports are few so far.
Several threads on Nomads. Do a search.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2019 at 07:21 AM

I believe I was a part of all the previous threads. Some were about requiring RVs to get a 10 year TIP to enter Baja. Not sure what's going on with that.

THIS issue turns out to be only for 1-ton trucks that want to get a passenger vehicle type TIP that runs for the duration of their type of "visa", usually a tourist. Those are what is suddenly being denied. These are permits that allow one to take a foreign plated vehicle outside of the "free zones".

Although, there is a report of one instance where a lady returned to the Aduana office at the border (she was denied a temp TIP at a Banjercito branch at K21 on Mex-15) and was able to convince them that her 1-ton truck was NOT a commercial vehicle. She was allowed to get her TIP. She was not towing anything.

So, this issue will probably not surface in Baja, with it being part of the "free zone" for vehicle permits.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-12-2019 at 07:38 AM

A lot of gringos driving 1 ton trucks are driving “commercial” trucks. Many gringos use them as work trucks, so may fit definition of commercial truck, eh? Many gringos are writing off their trucks as biz/work expense, so that is commercial, eh?

How many gringos actually buy 1 ton trucks for personal use?

I suspect that in Mexico very few Mexicans buy a 1-ton truck as a personal vehicle. It seems to me that only gringos buy 1 ton trucks and use them as grocery-getters.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2019 at 08:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

A lot of gringos driving 1 ton trucks are driving “commercial” trucks. Many gringos use them as work trucks, so may fit definition of commercial truck, eh? Many gringos are writing off their trucks as biz/work expense, so that is commercial, eh?

I suspect that in Mexico very few Mexicans buy a 1-ton truck as a personal vehicle. It seems to me that only gringos buy 1 ton trucks and use them as grocery-getters.

You're showing your ignorance on an issue that you clearly know little about.

MANY owners of 1-ton trucks use them for towing large RVs like 5th wheels and travel trailers. Or carry a truck camper on the back. For many of these RVs, the capacity of a 1-ton truck (or even greater 450s or 550s) is THE ONLY LEGAL WAY TO TOW OR CARRY THESE TYPES OF VEHICLES.

I am one of these persons who bought a 1-ton truck 20 years ago and have never used it for ANY commercial purpose.

You uber liberals really madden the moderate liberals like me (we are the majority in the Democratic Party, BTW, according to very recent polls), with your lack of knowledge in so many areas. Yet, you THINK you know what you're talking about.

Quit embarrassing the rest of us and giving us a bad name. Speak to what you KNOW about, not what you wish the world was like.

I guess you will pivot to some argument about how "ungreen" 1-ton trucks are now, right, and that's why they should have a special permit?
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2019 at 09:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

A LOT!

We own a diesel Ford F350 1 ton for personal use. It is used to safely carry our slide in camper.

We originally had the camper on a Ford F250 3/4 ton truck and the camper was at 90% of the truck's rated capacity. The truck swayed and 'rocked and rolled' enough on the Baja roads that I just didn't feel comfortable driving it.

Sold the 3/4 ton and replaced it with the 1 ton. The rig is now at about 70% of the rated capacity and drives smooth and stable.

And an added benefit - the 1 ton diesel gets 20% better fuel mileage than the 3/4 ton with the gas engine.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2019 at 07:24 AM

The thing to note is the Mexican government has defined trucks above a certain GVW to be a commercial truck and therefore will be treated with different duties/fees than lesser weight trucks.
So far my F350 has never been challenged for being comercial even though my title and registration clearly sany comercial. My crossing have been various Baja and San Luis only. Sometimes I tow a 5th wheel, a trailer with my Jeep, solo with my personal goods, or for importing such things as furniture and TVs.
No crossings in to the mainland.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2019 at 08:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
The thing to note is the Mexican government has defined trucks above a certain GVW to be a commercial truck and therefore will be treated with different duties/fees than lesser weight trucks.
So far my F350 has never been challenged for being comercial even though my title and registration clearly sany comercial. My crossing have been various Baja and San Luis only. Sometimes I tow a 5th wheel, a trailer with my Jeep, solo with my personal goods, or for importing such things as furniture and TVs.
No crossings in to the mainland.

The commercial designation is a state-by-state thing. I used to live in CA and I believe they even treated compact trucks that are a 1/2 ton or under, as commercial vehicles. By their definition, a vehicle that was even "designed" to be used commercially, is a commercial vehicle, whether you use it commercially or not.

But the Federal definition is more liberal. Has to have a GVW over 10,001 lbs. I believe.

My state does not consider my F350 truck a commercial vehicle.

I can't find the definition of commercial vehicle by Mexico.

I DO know that they have never allowed duallies to be legally imported into Mexico for a long time, but I could have legally imported my 1-ton, non-dually truck.

I should be down by the edge of the free zone in Sonora in less than a month. I will test the TIP ruling at the Empalme station.
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2019 at 08:09 AM

Makes me wonder why my school bus was never questioned.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2019 at 09:05 AM

Hook, it is a can of worms
You might want to read past threads?
The is whole thing came up on forums on the mainland. You can dig them out from the links below.
When a pickup has a GVWR above 7716lb the issue begins. Back in the day that meant 3/4 or 1 ton pickups and larger. Now days as an example my new F150 has a GVWR of 7850 (max cargo is 2301).
Back in the day the stickers on pickups did not have a payload (max cargo) like they do now days. I said it before on one of the threads below. Mexico must have decided to use GVWR for lack of a better number. Moving on --
Commercial big rigs entering mexico are taxed on cargo weight per the scale paperwork. GVWR has nothing to do with the amount of tax.

So, what would I do when entering mainland (except for Sanora)? I would get the weight ticket from from a scale that documents the empty vehicle weight and the cargo weight. Having this info would allow the purchase a commercial TIP based on cargo weight.
If your truck has the Max Cargo value on the sticker the argue that it is below 7716 and see if the border guy allow you a regular non commercial TIP. Good luck

Nomads GVWR search
12/2017 http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=88446#pid1103...
10/2017 http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=87874#pid1097...
9/2017 http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=87801#pid1095...

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.