BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Puerto San Carlos, Raining, Marlin, Dorado, Wahoo, La Paz Whale Sharks too! K Padre!
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2019 at 09:43 AM
Puerto San Carlos, Raining, Marlin, Dorado, Wahoo, La Paz Whale Sharks too! K Padre!

Been camping on the bay at Mar Y Arenas, Puerto San Carlos almost 2 weeks now.

The saying around here is Americans bring the rains. Must be something to that. Intermittent overnight showers have developed into a steady rain this morning.

Hoping the rain lasts as long as forecast, 2 days, then moon will be waning and the wahoo will get back on the chew.

Marlin fishing has been unbelievable with lots of dorado in the mix too. Some days we bring up over 30 marlin into the spread, hook and land up to 8 is our best so far. The marlin are only about 10 miles outside the bay on the San Carlos side.

Purple and Pertrolero are the preferred colors so far, using the barb filed off hooks in the lures, heavy line to get er done quickly. C & R on the marlin, other fish am canning what I can process but runing out of jars.
I have been mostly fishing marlin and a few days fished pargo in the estuary too which was wide open on dogs and reds.

Yesterday we went to Thetis for my firt time looking for wahoo. The wahoo have been closer to Thetis which is closer to Lopez Mateo. When you fish Thetis from Puerto San Carlos in a panga or skiff you go straight to Magdalena Island, put the boat up on a trailer and they take you across the island by land to Bahia Santa Maria and there you are a straight shot to Thetis. It happens quickly and efficiently. These fisherman, commercial and sport, are real pros.

We dd not get any wahoo yesterday. in fact of the 3 boats we knew of out there no wahoo were caught. I am gong to blame it on the full moon. Of course we caught a marlin because I cannot resist dragging at least one marlin lure in any spread and also caught lots of 10 pound dorado.

It is a pleasure to be here.

20191006_151858_resized.jpg - 102kB

20191007_192243_resized.jpg - 97kB

20191012_191030_resized.jpg - 216kB

20191013_102625_resized.jpg - 74kB

[Edited on 10-29-2019 by Don Jorge]

[Edited on 10-31-2019 by Don Jorge]

[Edited on 10-31-2019 by Don Jorge]

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-13-2019 at 09:48 AM

Nice!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2019 at 11:13 AM
missed you by a day

I was at Thetis Bank the day before yesterday and also found no wahoo home. I'm sure they will move back in when the weather settles.
Sounds like you are having a great trip. Maybe our paths will cross. I usually monitor channel 72 on vhs. Give a call if you see Soledad out there.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-13-2019 at 12:28 PM

What, no picture of the boat????? :biggrin:

What are you dragging for wahoo? Marauder type lures, large Rapala types??? Not real familiar with wahoo fishing except casting bombs on the LR boats, many years ago.

What's the largest dorado so far?

[Edited on 10-13-2019 by Hook]
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2019 at 12:56 PM

Will do Bill. They use channel 14 down here and will be sure to monitor 72 also. Agree the weather and moon did their thing and they will be back.

There was a dive boat right on the big peak at Thetis all day Saturday. They told us they saw no wahoo all day and they only shot a few small yellowtails.

PJ, how the heck are you and the missus? I did not drag a boat opting instead to drag a cargo trailer with kayaks, surfboards and quad. Fishing with the locals, about half the time on a tillered panga and the other half on a 22ft Scout center console with tee top, ie Shade!

Probably stick to the Scout rest of the trip. We finally got it dialed in after a few trips with the usual problems associated with not enough use and maintenance during the off season.

Used to be Marauders, still have a few in the bag, but its Yozuris and the like nowadays but they are just copies of Marauders more or less. I also normally put one large deep diving, dark Rapala in the spread too. Everything on cable of course.

This fishery in the fall is legendary and I should have retired years ago.:bounce:

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2019 at 01:19 PM

Aren't there catch number rules? That seems excessive and how a place gets fished out fast.

[Edited on 10-13-2019 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2019 at 01:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Jorge  
C & R on the marlin, other fish am canning what I can process but running out of jars.

JZ: C & R is catch and release. We strictly abide by all rules and regs anywhere we fish and only take what we want to eat fresh or can. I do not freeze fish on Baja trips. Some of the Baja guides are perplexed on why we release all the marlin, others get it.

Compared to 20 years ago it is very different. Today there at least exists a dialogue concerning clients wishes to keep or release billfish, small dorados and the like.

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2019 at 01:46 PM

Got it. Thanks. Remember the longer you fight the fish, the less chance it has to survive after release.

"How long the fish is played

The longer the fight, the more exhausted a fish becomes, and the more lactic acid builds up in its body. This can cause the fish to die some time later, even after you release it to swim away.

Use tackle heavy enough for the species you’re after — don’t use an ultralight trout rod for walleye or pike. Land the fish as quickly as possible.
How a fish is landed

Hauling in fish over the side by the line, hanging on a hook, or squeezing it with your hand, can cause major internal organ damage.

If possible the best thing for the fish is to leave it in the water while a hook is removed. If that’s not possible use a soft rubber mesh landing net which is less damaging to eyes, fins, scales and the protective mucous membrane than a fine mesh net. While a net means the fish will be out of the water for some period, it’s often the least stressful way to get a fish into your hands for a quick hook removal and release.
How long a fish is out of the water

One study by R.A. Ferguson and B.L. Tufts looked at the amount of time a trout was exposed to air after being caught. Fish that were released without being held out of the water had a 12 percent mortality. But fish held out of the water for 30 seconds had a 38 percent mortality rate; more than one in three fish died. Fish out of the water for a full minute saw a 72 percent death rate."

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2019 at 01:55 PM

Used to be Marauders, still have a few in the bag, but its Yozuris and the like nowadays but they are just copies of Marauders more or less. I also normally put one large deep diving, dark Rapala in the spread too. Everything on cable of course.
ago.:bounce:

If you haven't already done so, you might want to try the Nomad DTX165's and the DTX200's. Trolled at around 8 kts, they are very effective for wahoo.
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2019 at 02:14 PM

JZ: " Remember the longer you fight the fish, the less chance it has to survive after release."

using the barb filed off hooks in the lures, heavy line to get er done quickly.

JZ you are preaching to the preachers here. The words posted there were meant to let the preachers know i went to Sunday school.

There are a few of us still on this board who know how to fish in what we believe is an ethical and rewarding manner while also providing our family with a great protein for our diets.

BajaParrothead, Thanks for the tip. I did not think it was anything we did wrong when we got no wahoo Saturday. And after Bill E, "The Wahoo Wisperer," confirmed the chew was off the day before too, I felt reassured.

Still raining here, over an inch so far.

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2019 at 05:38 PM

Good to hear.

Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2019 at 11:15 AM

That canning looks awesome. Do you add any spices?

Making America Great Again
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2019 at 12:01 PM

Glad you got into some fish. Enjoyed hanging out with you in Bahia Asuncion as well. We're heading back down to watch the Baja 1000 and head out for a day of catching with Tarraya. Hopefully our paths cross again.

Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2019 at 09:37 AM

Yesterday, 24 miles offshore of PSC, we came across the biggest baitball i have ever seen.
https://youtu.be/enJDF6C5dTQ
I managed to leader 5 stripers in 3 hours off of this and adding the 2 leadered earlier it was my best day ever on striped marlin. Just me and Captain Pepe Beto on the 23 ft Scout center console. Awesome day!
https://youtu.be/KpXGShNI0vc

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2019 at 03:58 PM

Yesterday, 24 miles offshore of PSC, we came across the biggest baitball i have ever seen.
https://youtu.be/enJDF6C5dTQ
I managed to leader 5 stripers in 3 hours off of this and adding the 2 leadered earlier it was my best day ever on striped marlin. Just me and Captain Pepe Beto on the 23 ft Scout center console. Awesome day!
https://youtu.be/KpXGShNI0vc

Nice!
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2019 at 06:42 AM

When you fish Thetis from Puerto San Carlos in a panga or skiff you go straight to Magdalena Island, put the boat up on a trailer and they take you across the island by land to Bahia Santa Maria and there you are a straight shot to Thetis. It happens quickly and efficiently. These fisherman, commercial and sport, are real pros.

DJ: If I understand, this means you are shore launching into the beach break and not going through the boca?
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2019 at 07:21 AM

[/rquote]
DJ: If I understand, this means you are shore launching into the beach break and not going through the boca?[/rquote]

Not exactly beach break but yes you do bypass the boca. Both the pickup and drop in sites are in well protected bays on different sides of the isthmus of Isla Magdalena.

You call in on the radio, channel 16, Rudy or his wife answers and either one of them will be there when you arrive to ferry you across the isthmus. Commercial guys use the service mostly and they ferry an average of 6 boats daily at a cost of 600 pesos. It happen quickly and efficiently.

Pics are of pickup and drop off spots.

20191012_075125_resized (2).jpg - 206kB 20191012_082443_resized_1 (1).jpg - 183kB

Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2019 at 06:49 AM

Fished yesterday 20 miles offshore of the southern tip of Isla Margarita in an area known as the pinnacle. We targeted wahoo and did not drag any marlin gear all day. Marlin were everywhere. We trolled using nomads, yozuri and rapala lures all day long.

No luck on the wahoo, they seem to have gone off the bite for now. got two hits but no sticks. Did manage one decent dorado and several smaller ones too which hit the rapala 18 deep diver, blue color.

A few boats get one or maybe two wahoo every so ofen but it is nowhere near a decent bite, yet. If we hear they are biting up at Thetis we will head that way but we know some divers who were there Sunday and the did not see one wahoo all day diving directly on the high spot.

We will wait a day or two and try again.

DSCN0039 - Edited (2).jpg - 99kB

bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2019 at 02:34 AM

Jorge.....Get in touch about Lopez trip.
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2019 at 10:29 AM
Wahoo finally and La Paz Whale Sharks. K Padre!

Using information so kindly shared with me from Bill "Wahoo Whisperer" Erhardt I made the move from PSC up the line a bit to Puerto Lopez Mateo with hopes of getting into some wahoo catching.

I drove up this past Saturday and was able o get a room at Bob Hoyt's Mag Bay Outfitters Lodge. Room was clean, $25 a night for a single. Supper was served too, lodge style,
$8 a plate and they served fresh wahoo tacos, salad and french fries. Very good!

Again under Bill E's advise I booked a boat for Sunday with Garcia's Pangas, a 23 ft SeaPro center console with a 115 Yamaha 4 stroke. Clean, roomy skiff skippered by Leonel.

Sergio Garcia, the owner, and Leonel picked me up at 6 am and Sergio launched us off the trailer at 6:15. Two hours later we were at the 23 bank where the wahoo action was concentrated the past week or so.

We managed to get one after trolling for several hours. The wahoo hit a dordo colored Yozuri jig and weighed about 40 pounds. I was happy to finally get a wahoo. We trolled a few more hours and nothing more so we made the decision to head inside a bit and fish for dorado.

The dorado were thick and every troll resulted in a hookup, sometimes doubles. Some of the fish were of a nice rade and we kept two. We also managed to catch, leader and release a striped marlin, something I was trying to avoid. Oh well, the are everywhere in Mag Bay right now and it is almost unavoidable hooking marlin if you have anything in the water besides a wahoo lure spread in the water.

I want to Thank Bill E again for helping me understand the wahoo fishing in Mag Bay. Thanks Bill

Monday I drove to La Paz, checked into the Marine Waterfront Hotel and with the their help booked a shark whale trip with Baja Tours for Wednseday. Tuesday I drove to Los Cabos airport and picked up my wife who flew in from San Clemente.

Wednesday we snorkeled with the whale sharks. All 3 jumps in the water we swam along side these gentle creatures. It was amazing and Rebecca was so happy. Me too.

That's it for now. On to PSC again, then heading back north with stops in Loreto, Concepcion and ??.

DSCN0055 - Edited.jpg - 204kB DSCN0057 - Edited (1).jpg - 184kB DSCN0068 - Edited (1).jpg - 176kB

PhotopadProject (2).jpg - 59kB

PhotopadProject (3).jpg - 52kB

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.