Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Trip Plan suggestions
ph001c

[*] posted on 10-16-2019 at 01:19 PM
Trip Plan suggestions

Hola, long time lurker, first time poster. First I would like to say thank you to everyone posting so much useful information! It has been invaluable to me putting together a trip for my family. I am humbly asking for some advice and feedback on the trip plan. See the table below.

Summary: my family and I (myself, wife, two girls 12 and 9) will drive from North County San Diego to La Paz in Nov to snorkel with whale sharks.

The plan is to take mainly paved roads, dirt OK, but nothing extreme. The rig (though I hesitate to call it that based on what I have seen on this site!) is a Disco Sport with 32in Falken AT, roof rack. I have a full size spare, as well as snatch strap, compressor, etc. I am planning to get a pair of maxtrax prior to going, as well as fuel container (jerry or rotopax)

Staying in hotels and motels with secure parking. (Wife requirement.)

Key things to do/see: whale sharks!, visit a Mission, drive on the beach, kayak and paddle board, eat seafood and drink beers.

I am primarily interested in feedback on the route and places to stay.

Are times and distances I have realistic? I am missing anything that is must-see? We have a fixed number of days (9 total) so we cannot extend the trip, as much as I would like to spend months roaming all the nooks and crannies of Baja as some of you have done.

Can you recommend a place to stay in or near the finish points that are nice (beds, private baths) and safe with secure parking? Cost is a secondary consideration.

If you're interested, some background on me: I have been into Baja and MX before several times including TJ, Rosarito, as far as Ensenada on the Pacific coast, Calexico (for work) Puerto Peñasco, CDMX (by plane) this year. This will be our first trip by vehicle this deep into Baja.

I am currently taking Spanish 3 after work so I can read, write and make passable conversation.

I have some off road driving experience in this vehicle and others including motorcycle in Anza Borrego, San Bernardinos, Southern Sierras, Death Valley.

My girls are good road-trippers and international travelers though my wife is concerned about personal safety as well as equipment security.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer. :)

2019 La Paz Trip Plan.JPG - 99kB
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2019 at 01:31 PM

Welcome.

You guys are going to have a great time in La Paz (and Baja). Get ready for a tidal wave of information.

Looking at your itinerary, the drive from San Ignacio to La Paz is do-able, but you're looking at a very long day, passing some awesome places (eg Mulege, Loreto, Bahia Concerpcion, San Javier, etc.).

I've stayed many times in La Paz and I like the city, but that said, I *really* like Loreto and surroundings -- you might consider adjusting a little more time there. A very kick-back town with the first of the California Missions, an off-shore marine reserve perfect for snorkling (and whale sharks) and kayaking. Also tons of terrestrial things to do, especially if you own an off road vehicle.

re: safety. Be mindful of your surroundings and you will be fine.

Can't wait to hear your trip report, with photos, of course.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-16-2019 at 01:50 PM

I think your drive times are unrealistically short. I figure that average drive time (incl. potty and gas stops) works out to be 50 mph (50 mph avg does not include lunch stop, just includes gas/potty).
Driving to la paz for an 9 day vacation is a lot of driving. I suggest flying to la paz and renting a car, if limited to 9 days and la paz is the goal.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-16-2019 at 02:02 PM

Too much driving with the kids (or adults). Loreto is the furthest I'd go. It's a kick a$$ town and has all the stuff you have talked about doing.

World class kayaking, mule rides, the islands are great. The most beautiful mission in Baja, San Javier, is 30 mins away. Some very easy dirt road side trips to beautiful bays (Agua Verde, San Bassilo). The Agua Verde drive is one your kids will never forget. It will hook them on Baja forever.

Your wife and kids will LOVE La Mision Hotel. Awesome hotel and a stunning view of the ocean from your balcony.

Driving down, I would try to make it past San Felipe on the way down. Leave early and you can make it pretty easily to Gonzaga Bay. San Felipe isn't anything to write home about. Stay at Alfonsinas. It's a hotel right on the beach with a really great view. You can travel more leisurely the next day(s).

If you make it to Bahia de Los Angeles, stay at Costa del Sol. Nice, inexpensive place.

[Edited on 10-16-2019 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-16-2019 at 02:27 PM

First things first, another 'welcome to the forum', and I had to look up "Disco Sport". A Land Rover Discovery Sport needs more back roads! The only thing wrong with your plan is not enough time. I concur with the others, that your actual drive time will be more than you have budgeted.

I have pushed the limits of safe driving a couple of times, but it is just me and my dog at risk! Your travel dates will also rob you of any moonlight assist for an already risky night driving scenario.

Consider San Felipe to Bahia de Los Angeles for your second leg. Take a look around there, then day three drive the dirt road south to Highway 1, then overnight in Mulege or Bahia de Conception, depending on daylight. Save the pavement for the trip home when you may be pressed for time.

[Edited on 10-17-2019 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Loretana
Senior Nomad

Mood: alegre

[*] posted on 10-16-2019 at 02:32 PM

ph001c.....Welcome to Baja Nomad!

Do plan an overnight in Loreto. You will all be safe and comfortable, and everyone can walk around a bit and enjoy this lovely town.

Take a deep breath, walk the Malecon and take some photos in front of the "Loreto" sign with the girls.

You'll be able to speak a bit of Spanish, which the Locals here appreciate. Have a nice meal at Orlando's, cruise the little zocalo (town square), walk into the Municipal Palace and check out the beautiful murals in the back painted by our talented resident artist Alejandro Curiel.

Loreto is know for her "matriarchal" culture, and your Ladies will appreciate the vibe.....:dudette:

Have a safe trip!!

"If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration."
-Nikola Tesla
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 10-16-2019 at 03:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Too much driving with the kids (or adults). Loreto is the furthest I'd go. It's a kick a$$ town and has all the stuff you have talked about doing.

World class kayaking, mule rides, the islands are great. The most beautiful mission in Baja, San Javier, is 30 mins away. Some very easy dirt road side trips to beautiful bays (Agua Verde, San Bassilo). The Agua Verde drive is one your kids will never forget. It will hook them on Baja forever.

Your wife and kids will LOVE La Mision Hotel. Awesome hotel and a stunning view of the ocean from your balcony.

Driving down, I would try to make it past San Felipe on the way down. Leave early and you can make it pretty easily to Gonzaga Bay. San Felipe isn't anything to write home about. Stay at Alfonsinas. It's a hotel right on the beach with a really great view. You can travel more leisurely the next day(s).

If you make it to Bahia de Los Angeles, stay at Costa del Sol. Nice, inexpensive place.

[Edited on 10-16-2019 by JZ]

What JZ said. Also...I have seen more whale sharks in Bahia LA
than anywhere else in my Baja travels. Have one of the Daggett brothers take you out.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 10-16-2019 at 03:45 PM

that last day is about a 17 or 18 hour day depending on the border wait.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 10-16-2019 at 03:50 PM

This is the speed I prefer. December trip planning.

20191016_154622-756x1008.jpg - 167kB
ph001c

[*] posted on 10-16-2019 at 04:07 PM

Hi All! Thanks for the quick replies, suggestions and recommendations. I just had a quick look and it's a bit like drinking from a fire house. I'll read them in more detail tonight and tomorrow. Your warm welcome to the forum and feedback is appreciated!

PH
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 10-16-2019 at 06:30 PM

Can't quiet figure out your itinerary...just stay flexible.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-16-2019 at 10:40 PM

I am happy to encourage your visits to mission sites... Baja is where California began... both the first 18 California missions and El Camino Real started at Loreto.

I do think La Paz is too far for a 9-day trip... Whale Sharks are a summer thing and Bahia de los Angeles and Bahia Concepcion are better places to get close to them. Days are shorter in November, Baja Sur is on Mountain Time, so you lose an hour when you pass the Eagle Monument. La Paz is a great city... but it is still a city and 850 miles by road from the border.

I never heard of a Disco Sport, so I am happy AKgringo explained that one! Land Rovers have not a good reputation in Baja, so I hope yours is free of issues before you cross into the land of Fords, Jeeps, and Toyotas!

MISSIONS along the way and are great to see:
San Ignacio
Mulegé
Loreto

MISSIONS that are about 20 miles off Hwy. 1 and great to see:
San Borja (good dirt road)
San Javier (paved road)

May I suggest geettingf my book so you and the girls will have some interesting insights and knowledge of them: www.oldmissions.com

That is Mission San Ignacio (and Santa María' entrance) on the cover.

Please feel free to ask more questions... check out my trip reports in that forum on Nomad. My maps plus a bit of an upcoming road guidebook is shared in the Road Conditions forum on Nomad.
Welcome to Nomad!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-17-2019 at 07:52 AM

Welcome to the fray you lurker you!

Families with kids love it here in Bahia Asuncion as there is lots of fun natural stuff to do in the tide pools here at the Blowhole, surf lesson, horseback riding and beach time, boogie boarding etc. You can also snorkel with the juvenile sealions at the Island which only 10 minutes from our Inn.

We have big family rooms too, very secure and are only an hour off the highway on a great paved road...come on in on your way down. Many stay here instead of Guerrero Negro on their travels up and down the peninsula. For more info on the village see www.bahiaasuncion.com

Then you can go the beach road on the way south to visit Blanca also!

[Edited on 10-17-2019 by shari]

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-17-2019 at 08:41 AM

I agree with Shari, Bahía Asunción is a winner... and a paved road connects the town with Hwy. 1 at Vizcaino.

I wrote an article on Asunción: https://www.bajabound.com/bajaadventures/bajatravel/bahia_as...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ZipLine
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2019 at 08:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ph001c  
...drive from North County San Diego to La Paz in Nov to snorkel with whale sharks.

Please tell me about that. I will be in La Paz about the same time and I did not know about that possibility. Where in the La Paz area do people do that? Can I rent the snorkeling kit or do I need to bring it? Sounds like fun!
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 10-17-2019 at 09:13 AM

ph001c, It's about 20 hours to La Paz driving, how you break it up is up to you. GN is a days drive from north county, San Ignacio is doable. I would clear Ensenada about sunrise. You can be in La Paz the next day, plenty here will say this is to much driving. I have done it many times. I would adjust your trip home if you see something you would like to check out something on the way home.

I seams that you want to do the whale sharks as the primary thing and the drive second. I assume you have a guide set up for the whale sharks?

There a bunch of very cool places to see in Baja, you'll be passing most of them.

Go! ENJOY! You just might get the Baja Fever.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-17-2019 at 12:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ZipLine  
...drive from North County San Diego to La Paz in Nov to snorkel with whale sharks.

Please tell me about that. I will be in La Paz about the same time and I did not know about that possibility. Where in the La Paz area do people do that? Can I rent the snorkeling kit or do I need to bring it? Sounds like fun!

The whale sharks are interesting. But there are actually a lot more things to do on the ocean in La Paz. Go out further and see all the islands. The most spectacular water you will see in Baja. On the last island you will see hundreds of sea lions.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 10-17-2019 at 01:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ZipLine  

La Paz whale shark season just started (until April 15 2020) - stunning adventure. Plenty of outfits that take you to the feeding grounds. Snorkel gear and wet suits provided.
best guide in town: Benjamin
https://www.facebook.com/benjamin.duarte.583
speaks good English

Harald Pietschmann
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-17-2019 at 01:53 PM

About the whale sharks. They are big, slow plankton eaters. Kind of fun to see once, but they are generally non-responsive,... 5 minutes and you are done and can say “been there, seen it, done it.”

Suggest you do a panga trip focused on snorkeling in islands, visit a whale shark if you happen to see one in transit, and not do boat trip focused on whale shark.

Whale shark, does it taste like chicken?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 10-17-2019 at 01:54 PM

pf001c, Please disregard Billyjoe's trolls. He has been banned under a bunch of different names. This thread is about to go south and become useless. Sorry.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.