BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Driving from Canada, first time - visa?
fire
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2019 at 09:31 PM
Driving from Canada, first time - visa?

Hi there, I will be driving from Vancouver Canada through Tijuana for the first time. A friend mentioned to me to today, that since I am not flying, you don't get an automatic visa when you cross the border, and apparently, I need to get a 6 month visa somehow after crossing Tijuana. Any fellow Canadian have info on this? Ie: where do I go, what time does the office open etc?

Please let me know - thanks!
Nikno
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2019 at 10:19 PM

You need a FMM (tourist visa) which is issued by the INM (Immigration office). You can fill out the form online, pay, and print it out ahead of time and then get it stamped once you cross the border or you can fill out the form at the office.

Here is the website:

https://www.inm.gob.mx/fmme/publico/en/solicitud.html

Only do this if you are sure what day you will be crossing. I usually do it the night before.

The INM office at the El Chapparal crossing (That is the name of the Mexican side of the San Ysidro crossing) is open 24 hours a day. The office is located on the right side after you pass through the customs inspection area. There is a parking lot and some signs. You have to fill out the form, then wait in line to get it approved, then go to the bank counter in the same building to pay, then go back and get it stamped. Or if you did it all online, just bring in the form and print out of payment receipt and you can get it stamped.

The INM office at El Chapparal is open 24 hours a day. If you cross at a different border, look up the hours for those. At Tecate, the office is open 5am to 11pm, but the bank is only open 8am to 4pm if I understand correctly. So if you haven't prepaid online you cannot get the 180 visa unless you cross during those hours. Cost is MX$533 which is about US$28 or CAD$34.

Here is a Google Map link to where the El Chaparral INM office is:

https://goo.gl/maps/65KtEDxxUt3HCHLd7

I hope that answers all of your questions.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-18-2019 at 08:04 AM

Personally, I would not try the online thing... since you are coming from Canada, you can't be exact on the day or even which border you will be using (closures can occur). The vast majority of us simply pull over and park at the building on the border (INM office).

At Tijuana, (El Chapparal) there is a large, covered parking area next to the giant flag pole before the gates that filter the cars into Mexico (red/ green light). There is parking on the other side, but the north side of the big building is the easy and normal place.

You walk into and through the building to the INM podiums just outside the back entrance. There, you show them your passport and you request the 180-day FMM (it is NOT a visa) tourist card. Anything over 7 days is the same price so get the full allowable amount.

The official will give you the form to fill out (bringing a pen and reading glasses if you need them, will help as the print is tiny).

Then they have you walk back inside the building where a bank teller will take your money (~$US30) and give you a receipt to take back to the INM official for the final stamp. If the bank desk is closed, the INM official can take the payment (this is common at Mexicali).

That's it... go back to your car then merge back into the flow of traffic to the gates... IF you get a red light, you will be directed to park for an inspection of your vehicle.

The INM/FMM thing is maybe 10-15 minutes if it is busy.

[Edited on 10-18-2019 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

fire
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2019 at 10:50 PM

Thanks David! Great explanation!
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Personally, I would not try the online thing... since you are coming from Canada, you can't be exact on the day or even which border you will be using (closures can occur). The vast majority of us simply pull over and park at the building on the border (INM office).

At Tijuana, (El Chapparal) there is a large, covered parking area next to the giant flag pole before the gates that filter the cars into Mexico (red/ green light). There is parking on the other side, but the north side of the big building is the easy and normal place.

You walk into and through the building to the INM podiums just outside the back entrance. There, you show them your passport and you request the 180-day FMM (it is NOT a visa) tourist card. Anything over 7 days is the same price so get the full allowable amount.

The official will give you the form to fill out (bringing a pen and reading glasses if you need them, will help as the print is tiny).

Then they have you walk back inside the building where a bank teller will take your money (~$US30) and give you a receipt to take back to the INM official for the final stamp. If the bank desk is closed, the INM official can take the payment (this is common at Mexicali).

That's it... go back to your car then merge back into the flow of traffic to the gates... IF you get a red light, you will be directed to park for an inspection of your vehicle.

The INM/FMM thing is maybe 10-15 minutes if it is busy.

[Edited on 10-18-2019 by David K]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-19-2019 at 08:16 AM

You are welcome... Do keep in mind that things change often so just go with a smile and thoughts of warm, sunny beaches. It always works out!!! Sort of a Baja Thing!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 10-19-2019 at 09:30 AM

David is spot on!!
When you are getting close to the border on I-5 just stay to the right
And I do mean the far right!
As soon as you cross the border stay in the right lane
and you will see the parking area DK mentioned.
Very easy!
and even if busy you will still get it done in less than 15 minutes
Then you just come back out of the parking lot and enter one of the regular entry lines.

Do not cross through the individual gates before getting your FMM!!

Did I mention "STAY TO THE RIGHT" as soon as you cross the border line?????
Estrella
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2019 at 10:18 AM

Great explanations David and BajaRunner!! Yes and I particularly love the "STAY TO THE RIGHT"!! Have a wonderful time in Baja!!
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2019 at 04:19 PM

Plenty of YT videos on San Ysidro blue building and parking. You'll likely be the only one bothering with FMM, in that parking before the gates. Not that I mind when people obey the law.

"as soon as you cross the border" (go to the FMM building) - this can be confusing when you drive first time. It doesn't feel like you've crossed the border until you go through the gates, and you shouldn't go through the gates until after you've got your FMM.

There is indeed a parking on the South side of the building, only I doubt it is a public parking. That one is used by buses, tourist vans, polizia etc.

[Edited on 10-20-2019 by Alm]
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 10-21-2019 at 06:17 AM

The covered parking at the north end of the building is where you want to go. It is the "declarations" area. Just remember to keep to the right as you get close to the border and you can head right over to it. When you return to your car with your FMM stamped and ready, you will get a red or green light. If you get a red light you will be asked to stop for inspection. Nothing to worry about, make sure they know you are on vacation.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.