BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Someone translate a sentence for me, please.
verichip
Banned

[*] posted on 10-20-2019 at 12:50 PM
Someone translate a sentence for me, please.

With the mass migration from Venezuela, I want to convince Venezolana to keep a diary and publish a book about her troubles. One Venezolana in particular. Something like,

You can write a book about your life and publish it. If you do many people will want to read it and you will get some money. Not a note to tell your mother everything is fine, no. Tell the real story of the struggle to start a new life in another country, the real story.

Venezolana walks across the border into Colombia. If she is lucky, she has enough money to rent a room for a week, a month at best.
no trabajo para una venezolanas en barranquilla sin documentos
Now these are nice girls, clean, they go to school, they worked at a store, they had one and only one boyfriend.

Now the struggle begins.

If they write a book, most of us will want to read it. My Spanish is not good enough to explain to Alejandra or Dainer or Sofia, to write a book. Not a book, but an interesting book with all the details and emotions of their journey.

If someone cold type just one paragraph in Spanish, to encourage Venezalona to publish her diary, I will copy it down and hand her a pen, note book, and the note of encouragement.

[Edited on 10-24-2019 by verichip]
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2019 at 07:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by verichip  
This is the what I want to translate
You can write a book about your life and publish it. If you do many people will want to read it and you will get some money. Not a note to tell your mother everything is fine, no. Tell the real story of the struggle to start a new life in another country, the real story.

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

not this
With the mass migration from Venezuela, I want to convince Venezolana to keep a diary and publish a book about her troubles. One Venezolana in particular.
Given your context, what's wrong with Google Translate?

Cold and impersonal.

I was hoping an educated female would help with this one. The reward could be an interesting story to read. Una historia que contar

naturally, the gender of the translator is of great import. a male or, genderless translator such as google could not possibly get the job done.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2019 at 11:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Venezolana taught me a new word yesterday. Infirmada.
Cool! What's it mean? :)

Sick. Not well.

John
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2019 at 12:00 PM

verichip, welcome to Nomads. It relieves me greatly that your prose does not contain excessive commas -

I can translate Spanish a little, so here goes
Gabrialita, dice me historia, sus trabanajeros, y tristes a va de Venezuela Y estcrite en papel.
Also to be translated: If you are a well known author and publish a novel in English that tells a good story of immigrants from Latin America to the US, like Isabel Allende Midst of Winter or another bestseller, Into the Beautiful North, you can make some money.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-21-2019 at 02:57 PM

It seems pretty obvious as it sounds almost the same in English.

Let's check:

Infirmada translates from Spanish to English as Infirmed (per Google Translate).

Infirmed is someone treated in an infirmary, which is a hospital.

So, it would seem to mean someone who is sick, injured, or be cared for?

Now, the common man on the street in the U.S. probably never uses the word infirmed or knows an infirmary is a place for them?? :light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2019 at 08:12 PM

Infirmada was the word, not Infirmar.
I was not trying to be rude, so very sorry you felt that way.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2019 at 08:49 PM

So weird, right?

verichip
Banned

[*] posted on 10-22-2019 at 09:57 PM

Coastal slang?
Venezolana Says she was going to school. Then she had to move to another country. Not because she wanted to.
The word to explain why she left her home in

infirmada
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC6-TiN19uE

Forma verbal
Singular Plural
Masculino infirmado infirmados
Femenino infirmada infirmadas

infirm
v. tr. RIGHT Invalidate, leave a thing null or void.
Great Dictionary of the Spanish Language © 2016 Larousse Editorial, S.L.
--------------
Sinónimos para infirmar
invalidar = invalidate
----------------------
ETIMOLOGÍA DE LA PALABRA INFIRMAR
La palabra infirmar procede del latín infirmāre, debilitar, anular.
=
ETYMOLOGY OF THE WORD INFIRMAR
The word infirmar comes from the Latin infirmāre, to weaken, to annul.

Not sick. I thought the girl was telling me she ws sick. Not the case. School has no funding to pay a teacher and there is so little on the shelf at the store. If the police catch you sneaking across the border in the night, you have to pay a us $10 bribe.
The Spanish forms having to do with sickness are "enfermxxx", e.g. enfermo, enfermero/a, enfermería (infirmary), enfermedad etc. which as far as I can see have nothing to do with this word

[Edited on 10-23-2019 by verichip]
verichip
Banned

[*] posted on 10-22-2019 at 10:24 PM

Lencho
Did you ask your educated friend from Venezuela to write one paragraph to encourage her cousins to keep a diary and write a book.

Alajendra
Joha
Dainer
Katrine
Yeliaynis
Mayerlis
Sofia
Oriana
Nikky
Darleany
Katha
Natasha
Are some of their names.
Real people with real stories to tell.

[Edited on 10-24-2019 by verichip]
verichip
Banned

[*] posted on 10-24-2019 at 12:04 AM

Today Venezolana said the Colombian police shot and killed her boyfriend.
5 months in Colombia and a 3 month old baby. 19 and all alone in the world. Seems with no hope of finding work he broke into a policemans house in the night. He was wanting a pistol so he could support his day old baby.

At least that is what I think she said. I was attempting to tell her to write a book. She wanted to know, quantos? How much she could sell it for?
So.
Bump this up to the top and hope for a proper translation.

This is the what I want to translate

I was hoping an educated female would help with this one. The reward could be an interesting story to read. Una historia que contar
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2019 at 04:18 PM

The problem is, she would not see any money from a book for a few years minimum. I suspect she needs money now. It may be hard for her to focus on a book that may or may not pay off years down the road, when she needs money to eat, live, support her baby etc right now.

and as for quantos - as a never published "author", her chances of making any money on an advance or in a bidding war for the rights to the manuscript are nill.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.