BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Canadian title needs USA plates?
pacsur
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2019 at 04:16 AM
Canadian title needs USA plates?

I’m looking at buying a used enduro motorcycle with Canadian paperwork, does anybody have actual experience getting South Dakota plates for a Canadian titled vehicle? Thank you
mjs
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2019 at 10:00 AM

Getting a SD plate for a U.S. vehicle is easy. Is this a U.S. bike? It has to have a federal FMVSS sticker and emission sticker. If it doesn't you are now importing a foreign vehicle and will have to deal with those issues. Don't rule out physical inspection either. Might be an issue if the bike is not in the States. I've found that it's sometimes easier to register a bike in AZ first and then transfer the registration to SD.

Realistically, unless there is something that makes this bike unique and extremely valuable, you should look for a U.S.legal bike if you need to plate it.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-25-2019 at 10:02 AM

Why don't you call the Clay County Treasurer's office and ask them directly

Quote: Originally posted by pacsur  
I’m looking at buying a used enduro motorcycle with Canadian paperwork, does anybody have actual experience getting South Dakota plates for a Canadian titled vehicle? Thank you
pacsur
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2019 at 10:47 AM

As I said the bike has Canadian paperwork, the current owner bought it new in Canada and he is currently down in Baja on vacation with the bike, he wants to sell it, if i bought it I would need to get South Dakota plates for it.
I called Pendleton County after they opened this morning, if the seller crossed the border legally I’m told he would have had to fill out a couple forms when crossing the USA Canadian border and I would need those forms, bill of sale, title, and a Canadian carfax showing no liens, and then I could apply for South Dakota plates.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 10-25-2019 at 01:22 PM

don't "check your brain at the border"

the thing needs to be imported into the usa before you can get a "legal title" to drive it

don't buy it unless you are ready to go thru the process or you are a Canadian

ive seen too many people burned like this in the past

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-25-2019 at 01:27 PM

Since it is in mexico and you want it in mexico, import it to mexico and get baja plates.

Importing vehicles to usa is difficult unless vehicle was built for usa import. Lots of emissions and safety regs for importing vehicles.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-25-2019 at 01:39 PM

If the bike wasnt built in the US, Canada or Mexico, then importing it into Mexico will probably be impossible. At least, that's the case with standard vehicles. It is not possible to import a vehicle built in Japan, Korea, Germany, etc.

That said, there are Toyotas and Nissans, etc. (traditional Japanese car companies) that DO build cars in Mexico and the US and they CAN be legally imported into Mexico.

I cant speak specifically about motorcycles, but those are the rules with non-NAFTA cars.
pacsur
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2019 at 01:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Since it is in mexico and you want it in mexico, import it to mexico and get baja plates.

Importing vehicles to usa is difficult unless vehicle was built for usa import. Lots of emissions and safety regs for importing vehicles.

Thanks for the advice even though I did not ask for any, I was looking for somebody with actual experience, who has actually gone thru the process, since so many Canadians sell their autos down here I was hoping somebody has already gone thru the process, all my vehicles have Mexican plates and I’ve imported at least 10 autos over the years, but it is not worth driving 2k miles to import it when South Dakota plates can possibly be done by mail, plus what Hook mentioned about where manufactured is another issue, this is a Husqvarna FE350 made in Austria, it also has dot and epa approvals.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2019 at 02:06 PM

I hope you find someone who has done this. I will ask on our local San Carlos board. Many Canadians live in my town and some are moto riders.

I cant imagine it could be too difficult, having the DOT and EPA stickers.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2019 at 02:17 PM

Was the moto originally sold in Canada?
pacsur
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2019 at 02:24 PM

Yes, originally purchased new in Canada by the seller.
maspacificoII

[*] posted on 10-25-2019 at 04:28 PM

Call and ask. They'll tell you what you need to know....or, you can let this get beaten to death here!
mjs
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2019 at 08:16 AM

The requirements are on the CBP and EPA websites. If it has DOT and EPA stickers then it should be legal to import. It would be helpful to get a letter from the mfg stating that the bike was made to U.S.standards. Don't know about KTM but BMW has been able to provide these in the past.

You're supposed to present the bike at an official port of entry for inspection and clearance and possible tax payment. Then once officially imported you can get register the vehicle.

I haven't done one from Canada but have friends who have imported classics from Europe. You might want to use a broker but don't have to if you're willing to do the legwork. Last friends I helped (been awhile) involved a couple trips back and forth from different offices but that was done at LAX. Bikes had to be held in a bonded warehouse while getting customs clearance but they arrived by air. Other friends used shippers and broker so paperwork was done for them.

I still think that unless you are willing to spend enough time in the U.S. to make the effort worthwhile it would be easier to buy a U.S.bike in California, AZ or somewhere else and bring it back to MX.

BTY, South Dakota requires either a SS number or SD DL to register a vehicle. Would be an issue if you're not a U.S.citizen. Let us know how it goes, always nice to get recent information.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2019 at 08:50 PM

You haven't made it clear why you would need South Dakota plates? As far as I'm aware, the only reason people do that is to keep a vehicle in Mexico without having to go back to the US state in which it is registered every year. Why not just keep the Canadian plates on it? If you want to keep the bike in Mexico, that isn't a problem- you can have them put it into the class where you don't need to buy insurance- as if it's non-operational, on a certain date as soon as you don't need to have it insured in Canada anymore, because I assume you'll have Mexican insurance for it in Mexico. BC Canada registration doesn't expire.
pacsur
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2019 at 10:06 AM

After a lot more research it seems mjs is pretty accurate about what needs to take place to get the bike plated in the USA, i found some step by step info on pnwriders.com by individuals.
I guess the South Dakota dmv info was correct that I only needed a few papers but did no mention what it takes to get those papers, and most message boards say none of the agencies involved will do anything to help out with the process including supplying the forms you need, so I can see why many will use brokers, also some had stated if it is an off-road bike only it can be much easier.
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 10-27-2019 at 12:32 PM

Race cars, quads and lots of the local cars in Baja have no plates at all. If it's not a daily driver... Just sayin'

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 10-27-2019 at 12:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
You haven't made it clear why you would need South Dakota plates? As far as I'm aware, the only reason people do that is to keep a vehicle in Mexico without having to go back to the US state in which it is registered every year. Why not just keep the Canadian plates on it? If you want to keep the bike in Mexico, that isn't a problem- you can have them put it into the class where you don't need to buy insurance- as if it's non-operational, on a certain date as soon as you don't need to have it insured in Canada anymore, because I assume you'll have Mexican insurance for it in Mexico. BC Canada registration doesn't expire.

we use SD plates because they're way cheaper, require no smog and no insurance.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2019 at 11:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

we use SD plates because they're way cheaper, require no smog and no insurance.

As I said, there isn't a need to pay for insurance if a vehicle is registered in British Columbia and is actually in Mexico. You put it into a rate class that's really cheap, as if the vehicle isn't on the road. I did this years ago when I still had a Canadian registered vehicle. And there was no smog check where it was registered in Canada, either.

[Edited on 10-29-2019 by surabi]

[Edited on 10-29-2019 by surabi]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.