Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Speed trap shakedown reports
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2019 at 08:31 AM
Speed trap shakedown reports

got this from BPE today, i have no first-hand knowledge, but thought it may be important to a few here

Just drove the Mex 1 from San Diego to LB. There was a Federali/Policia municipal speeding shake down 5-10 miles north of Santa Rosalia and again about 15 miles North of La Paz. They are using a potential fake radar gun and standing in the middle of the road. Corruption at its finest and asking for payoffs En el mano (in the hand)… Do not pay and feed into the corruption! Ask them for a ticket and hold them responsible!
pacificobob
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-26-2019 at 08:43 AM

Just drove the entire transpenisular highway. Rolled through every inspection point with little more than a greeting. The hwy was in excellent shape. No police contact other than federal police had
a check 20mi south of GN about 6am. They were both
polite and friendly.

[Edited on 10-26-2019 by pacificobob]
billklaser
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2019 at 08:58 AM

Recently drove San Diego to Loreto and back. Haven't had any speed traps for a long time. As stated above, road in very good and improving condition. Military stops going north hardly inspected anything, just waved through most stops. In the past on this route, just south of Guerrero Negro was a trap, and just north of Santa Rosalia sometimes. Haven't seen them for a while.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2019 at 10:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
got this from BPE today, i have no first-hand knowledge, but thought it may be important to a few here

Just drove the Mex 1 from San Diego to LB. There was a Federali/Policia municipal speeding shake down 5-10 miles north of Santa Rosalia and again about 15 miles North of La Paz. They are using a potential fake radar gun and standing in the middle of the road. Corruption at its finest and asking for payoffs En el mano (in the hand)… Do not pay and feed into the corruption! Ask them for a ticket and hold them responsible!

The posted speed limits on 1 are ridiculous. I think most people speed than go the speed limit so that's a Catch-22.

I"ll assume from the above report that drivers are going the speed limit and are being accused falsely. If that's the case, yes, stand your ground.

If drivers are speeding, and get caught, the call is yours to make.

Personally, I don't think paying on the street is feeding corruption. Can't be proven. From a NOB moral POV, it sounds righteous.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2019 at 11:32 AM

A friend came down yesterday, Friday, and was stopped by federal police just south of Santa Rosalia for speeding. They explained what a pain it is to pay the fine. Take the ticket to a federal police station to get the paperwork to pay the fine at a bank then take the receipt back to the station and turn it in and get your license back. He's a retired cop so they got in a long conversation. He also speaks Spanish. No ticket....
I've been stopped too and showed respect and did my best to speak Spanish. Which they kinda laughed at but no ticket ... yet. I had to laugh that twice after I struggled with my Spanish and they let the ticket go they spoke English and we had a good laugh. The real joke is the posted speed limits not my broken Spanish.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-26-2019 at 01:18 PM

It's getting close to Christmas!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ZipLine
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2019 at 02:06 PM

Thanks for the reports - I am heading Ensenada to Cabo and back next week.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2019 at 02:20 PM

Let's make a mental note. Activity around:

-- 5-10 miles north of Santa Rosalia;

-- just South of Santa Rosalia;

-- about 15 miles North of La Paz;

and I would add:

-- the stretch between GN and Vizcaino.

Any more?

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

F*ck it.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-26-2019 at 04:52 PM

It's not a speed trap if you are speeding

Use a radar detector and a dash cam
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2019 at 06:33 PM

It is a speed trap if the posted speed is so low that no one travels that slowly.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2019 at 06:39 PM

Yup...would be nice if we could individually decide what the speed limit should be.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2019 at 08:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
Let's make a mental note. Activity around:

-- 5-10 miles north of Santa Rosalia;

-- just South of Santa Rosalia;

-- about 15 miles North of La Paz;

and I would add:

-- the stretch between GN and Vizcaino.

Any more?

You may all remember that a few years ago, Cuidad Const. was the bad place for holiday mordita.
The last 2 years they have gone with a new program. Cops smiling and waving while stopping you to sell raffle tickets for as much as you want to pay, they even give you a receipt !
I figure by getting a few bucks from almost everyone, they must be taking in a lot more than hitting only a few tourists a day !! AND no one is complaining about mordita !

[Edited on 10-27-2019 by Diver]
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2019 at 04:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  

Winner.

Making America Great Again
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 10-27-2019 at 07:28 AM

Must confess; Was speeding south of GN early May. A fed cop had us on radar driving opposite. First thing he asked was if we were a support team for the race. I believe he would have let us off if we were since there were many race types passing us.
I posted about this a while back and was called an A*hole for speeding.

[Edited on 10-27-2019 by Marc]
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2019 at 08:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Marc  
Must confess; Was speeding south of GN early May. A fed cop had us on radar driving opposite....

I posted about this a while back and was called an A*hole for speeding.
[Edited on 10-27-2019 by Marc]

Don't know the details of your original post. Someone was feeling self-righteous or wish they could drive Baja.

Don't think I've ever seen a speed limit sign above 90 km/h, or 56 mph. South of GN it's hard not to speed. Guess that makes me an a$$hole too. No big deal.

F*ck it.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-27-2019 at 01:56 PM

I havent been immediately south of GN in a long time, but I remember that the posted speed limit back then was a ridiculous 60km/h. Is that still the case?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-27-2019 at 02:11 PM

I recall it cranked up to the nosebleed speed of 80 kph!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

elfbrewery
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2019 at 04:09 PM

Speed may be only one way you can get pulled over. I had a dump truck pull half way off the road at the bridge just south of Sta. Rosalia. The driver waved me around, so I did. The next thing I know a cop pulls me over for crossing the center line to go around the truck.
Ciudad Constitucion was always a great place to get stopped, especially with all the hidden stop signs. Be sure to have your seat belts on and be courteous. The cop was looking for a donation to his birthday party, but we got away with a handshake.
A federal cop was on my tail when I was doing 65mph. I slowed to 60 and he barrelled past me. Who knows? Slowing down through pueblos to the posted speed limit seems prudent and driving at the same speed as others between towns does also. However, on the long barren stretches, it's anybody's guess.
Just remember what David K said, "Christmas is coming..."
SMG
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2019 at 05:01 AM

I was pulled over in La Paz for driving too slow??? Early morning sunrise driving north in mild rush hour traffic, could not see due to the glare from the sun, no one was driving fast. Cop pulled me over, I needed to get to GN so didn't argue, 500p I was driving again...

Was approached in Constitucion for backing into a parking spot and driving on the dirt curb. After 30 minute discussion of the infraction, $20 fine paid.

Was profiled by a Federale in Pescadero who proceeded to thoroughly search my truck. When he saw the Altoid tin in the console I think he believed he found what he was looking for, thankfully it was legit of the curiously strong mints. He was peeed and just told me to go. I kept asking why I was pulled over and he never answered.

I'm always respectful, probably a little nervous, and speak enough spanish to get by. I definitely speed though :)
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
11-5-2019 at 01:28 PM
DIWR17
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2020 at 08:30 AM

My understanding (from my Mx attorney) is that they cannot take your license from you at all. You show them but never hand it over.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.