Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Portable compressor Options
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2019 at 05:08 PM

Nope not joking. Its worth it to give it a try. I have 2 tires at home waiting to be aired up - and the unit just arrived via amazon same day free delivery. so I will know as soon as I charge it up if you guys are correct, or the 400 reviews on Amazon are closer to the truth.

[Edited on 10-27-2019 by caj13]
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2019 at 05:25 PM

Op, don't ask for advice again if you don't intend to actually give it serious consideration. You made a very bad decision today.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2019 at 05:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Op, don't ask for advice again if you don't intend to actually give it serious consideration. You made a very bad decision today.

its called advise fior a reason, not a mandate. I think I ought to be the one who decides if I made a bad decision, you know, after I actually try it out!

you could very well be right, but I'll know soon -
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2019 at 05:43 PM

In other news, I work with a guy who always asks for advice and then does the complete opposite of the advice given. His nickname is: ASK-HOLE...

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2019 at 05:53 PM

I'm not sure what the big deal is. Carl paid for it with his money, and is willing to try it out and give some feedback. I'm sure Amazon has a return policy if it's unsatisfactory.

No reason to be closed minded. We all might even learn something. The idea of a high quality cordless inflator does have some appeal. Maybe this is the one.

John

[Edited on 10-27-2019 by John Harper]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-26-2019 at 06:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
Nope not joking. Its worth it to give it a try. I have 2 tires at home waiting to be aired up - and the unit just arrived via amazon same day free delivery. so I will know as soon as I charge it up if you guys are correct, or the 400 reviews on Amazon are closer to the truth.

[Edited on 10-27-2019 by caj13]

This is the one you should have bought:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2019 at 07:03 PM

Surprised no one mentions a pressure charged Air Tank, used in conjunction with most any pump. Tank gives initial CFM needed, pump provides any tire pressure setting needed.

Es Todo Bueno
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 10-26-2019 at 10:16 PM

I have followed discussions about tire inflation for 30 years

lotsa cool stuff and ideas out there
bicycle pumps (work great and fast), CO2 tanks, portable compressors, onboard compressors, (I love York compressors, cheap and 4 cfm!)

in the end, most seeking info buy the cheapest, smallest unit they can find
many buy a "good compromise"

I was a trail guide on the Rubicon Trail for 25 years and have found hundreds of broken down and thrown away compromises over the years

since airing up and down is the single most effective technique to improve driving on rough terrain (including extending the life of your tires) - a good quality high cfm compressor should be priority for every serious Baja traveler

Harald Pietschmann
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2019 at 05:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
Since airing up and down is the single most effective technique to improve driving on rough terrain (including extending the life of your tires) - a good quality high cfm compressor should be priority for every serious Baja traveler

For me, surprisingly, the most rewarding part of having one is the ability to help out others in need. Those folks in the 3 vehicles I helped out in Wyoming were eternally grateful. Nothing better than being well prepared.

John
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2019 at 10:06 AM

Ok guys, heres some data:
smaller size trailer tires - 205 X 75 X 15. 1st one was completely flat - went from 0 to 35 lbs psi in 4:35 (min : sec) , not fast, I never expected fast, I was happy that the unit never got hot - barely warm .

the 2nd tire had 9 lbs PSI in it, it went to 35 Lbs PSI in 3:05 . not much in heat - still barely warm to the touch.

I particularly liked that I set the PSI, and it filled to that level automatically, then stopped. also the digital readout showed me the progress.

The thing is handy around the house, i can get air to various vehicles W/O needing to get them to my compressor. (the old I need to air up my tire so I can pull it up to the compressor conundrum.)

It is very useful on the FV race car, we spend a lot of time messing with air pressures, particularly during test days its a pain in the arse to keep pulling off the track into the garage pits , pull out stuff - check / adjust/ send back out. especially when run groups are only 20 or 30 minutes, you lose alot of that time getting on and off the track. . with this we can just pull into the hot pit, make quick adjustments, and back out. get in a lot more testing!

That being said - I think Haralds right, you do need a substantial compressor for exploring Baja, but I think that also depends on your own "level" of exploration!

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 10-27-2019 at 10:58 AM

sounds all good

let us know how long it lasts

Harald Pietschmann
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2019 at 10:58 AM

I have a couple questions>

How noisy is it to operate? Does it vibrate excessively?

How much battery charge did it take to fill everything up sufficiently? Did you notice any slowing near the end of use?

Is the base stable enough to let is sit on the ground? Maybe set on a board, would it vibrate off?

How well made is the hose connector? It looks like a lever type?

John

caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2019 at 08:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
I have a couple questions>

How noisy is it to operate? Does it vibrate excessively?

How much battery charge did it take to fill everything up sufficiently? Did you notice any slowing near the end of use?

Is the base stable enough to let is sit on the ground? Maybe set on a board, would it vibrate off?

How well made is the hose connector? It looks like a lever type?

John

Hey John, it's not too noisy - all compressors make a racket! the vibration is more of a slight buzz, high Fx, low amplitude
it does sit just fine on its base

it is a lever type, everything i've used it on so far (3 trailer tires, 1 truck tire , 1 lawn tractor tire) it fits snug on the threads and locks down nice and tight.

so far, nothing to dislike, I am on my second charge, zi'll get a better feel for that as i move on!
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2019 at 05:15 PM

OK just to update: I found another use. My motorcycles often sit for weeks or months on end, so when I pull em out they have mushy tires, having lost air slowly over time.

si I set the unit on 13 lbs - hook it to the stem, pull the trigger once, it shows 8.5 currently in the tire (or 9.5 in the rear) pull the trigger again, and 30 seconds later, the tire is filled to the proper pSI. a heck of alot quicker and easier that wheeling the bike to the compressor in the workshop, or pulling out the bike tire pump.

so far, I'm very happy with the purchase, its making life a bit easier , and is really convienient!
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2019 at 05:51 PM

Nice update, Carl! How much power does it use to inflate 4 tires, say from 20 to 30 pounds pressure? Is there a duty cycle?

John
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2019 at 08:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Nice update, Carl! How much power does it use to inflate 4 tires, say from 20 to 30 pounds pressure? Is there a duty cycle?

John

Hey John, I haven't tried that. obviously it will depend completely on the size of the tire, but I'll give that a try and report back.

Duty Cycle wise. does not seem to be. i just use heat as my guide, if a compressor gets uncomfortably hot, time to give it a rest. This unit, so far nothing beyond slightly warm, so i think its good on that front.
ReTire
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2019 at 12:52 AM

I know I’m late to this party, but here is my $.02
Costco has one for $35. I don’t remember what brand. It’s orange.
1st time I used it to air up my Jeep tires it was working great until the fuse for the cigarette lighter blew. When I got home I cut that end off and attached some proper battery clamps to it. Works great now.
ReTire
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2019 at 12:56 AM

PS, I’m gonna try the wd-40 trick too. Thanks for that.
ReTire
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2019 at 07:00 AM

PS, I’m gonna try the wd-40 trick too. Thanks for that.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 12-31-2019 at 02:17 PM

I have been running the ViAir Extreme since 2005 - double 350c 2.68 cfm compressors and a 2 gallon air tank. Airs up my 35s on par with David K's portable that airs up his 32s. Here is the link: Viair Extreme Duty Onboard Air System

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.