Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Your Baja Bucket List
aburruss
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2019 at 10:14 PM
Your Baja Bucket List

You've got three days to spend in Baja (forget about driving - for this scenario you can instantly get to any destination) ....

Where do you go? Who do you see? What do you do? Where do you eat?
Beagle
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2019 at 10:34 PM

Secret spot.

No one.

Surf.

Taco shop.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2019 at 12:00 AM

This is a fun question and I'm excited to toss in my answer because I'm going to make this bucket list adventure happen, darn it!

1. Where do I go?
Bahia de Los Angeles, south of town, and a bit south around Valle Las Flores. See this old map, copied from one of David K's posts.

2. Who do I see? This vaquero, Guillermo Villavicencio, and because this is an instant gratification bucket list post, we've already planned for mules to be at this location.

3. What do we do? We are going to discover the trail/route up and over the mountain ridge, ending up at Rancho San Gregorio. See David's map.

4. Where do we eat? First two days of our bucket list adventure we will eat on the trail.

Third day of our adventure will end with a home cooked meal.

Thanks for asking! I'll make a trip report when this bucket has been filled.

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-27-2019 at 07:57 AM

Great post... but just three days?

A bucket list is usually for things you want to do but haven't yet...
Since I have been fortunate to have seen so much of Baja and done so many fun explorations, there are for me these "bucket list" items:

1) Find the Melchior Diaz Grave (Walter Henderson's Rockpile).
2) Get to the Mission San Pedro Mártir site, preferably by helicopter.
3) Go with my wife on a whale encounter.

If the three days does not need to be at a new location but just at a favorite one, then it would be three days of relaxation on Shell Island.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2019 at 08:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by aburruss  
You've got three days to spend in Baja (forget about driving - for this scenario you can instantly get to any destination) ....

Where do you go? Who do you see? What do you do? Where do you eat?

No idea where you're starting from. If escaping the cold and snow, fly to Cabo stay at the Palmilla.

https://www.oneandonlyresorts.com/palmilla

Lay by the pool, walk on the beach, taxi to San Jose for food. Not really a bucket list.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2019 at 08:38 AM

Still on my list to see the grey whales. Paddle/snorkel with whale sharks. Dive Cabo Pulmo with bull sharks (maybe).

BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 10-27-2019 at 10:32 AM

I would spend three days kayak camping and fishing in Bahia Conception. Food: tacos and beer of course.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2019 at 11:05 AM

Paulina's trip/adventure sounds great.

I would like to take my time and do the No Wimp Trail one more time. Probably never happen since it has been fenced off with locked gates. But one can dream can't they.
matthew_mangus
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2019 at 11:57 AM

I'm in the middle of planning a 'bucket list' Baja adventure for myself and some friends for next Feb. As mentioned above, a grey whale experience with a loved one (I'm really looking forward to this) is a primary one. Relaxing on remote beaches, snorkeling in the Cabo Pulmo marine preserve and eating well are also high priority items.

I put together a slide deck for to manage expectations for my group that can be viewed here: https://www.beautiful.ai/player/-LsDZpjHhNUmV84_hibo You will recognize the locations - no secrets with this crowd!
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2019 at 02:42 PM

Gotta get in the water with whale sharks.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2019 at 03:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paulina  
This is a fun question and I'm excited to toss in my answer because I'm going to make this bucket list adventure happen, darn it!

1. Where do I go?
Bahia de Los Angeles, south of town, and a bit south around Valle Las Flores. See this old map, copied from one of David K's posts.

2. Who do I see? This vaquero, Guillermo Villavicencio, and because this is an instant gratification bucket list post, we've already planned for mules to be at this location.

3. What do we do? We are going to discover the trail/route up and over the mountain ridge, ending up at Rancho San Gregorio. See David's map.

4. Where do we eat? First two days of our bucket list adventure we will eat on the trail.

Third day of our adventure will end with a home cooked meal.

Thanks for asking! I'll make a trip report when this bucket has been filled.

P>*)))>{

We are in the process of planning a trip from Sierra de San Francisco out to the Sea of Cortez via mules. Sounds somewhat similar to yours. Great minds think alike!

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2019 at 03:32 PM

No one place. Driving/riding the trails or going from bay to bay on the water is the best to me.

The journey is the adventure.

[Edited on 10-27-2019 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Nikno
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2019 at 03:37 PM

My top 3 would be:

- Climb Picacho del Diablo (Highest peak in Baja)

- Hike to Mission San Pedro de Martir (David can pick me up in the helicopter)

- Find a new 4x4 route from Hwy 5 to Hwy 1 (Maybe El Placer de los Perita wash)

Btw for everyone posting about grey whales, check out Antonio's Eco Resort on San Ignacio Lagoon. They are the only operator that is locally owned and operated. Daniel, Antonio's son is a great guide, very knowledgable and an amazing guy.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2019 at 03:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  

We are in the process of planning a trip from Sierra de San Francisco out to the Sea of Cortez via mules. Sounds somewhat similar to yours. Great minds think alike!

Zac,

I want a route from Bahia to the ranch so I can ride back and forth on a mule. I don't want to use the main road via San Borja. Guillermo knows the range and says it's possible, we just have to find the time to do it. He just asked me two nights ago when I want to go.
If you're up to adding company to your bucket list adventure, keep us in mind!

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2019 at 04:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paulina  
Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  

Zac,

I want a route from Bahia to the ranch so I can ride back and forth on a mule. I don't want to use the main road via San Borja. Guillermo knows the range and says it's possible, we just have to find the time to do it. He just asked me two nights ago when I want to go.
If you're up to adding company to your bucket list adventure, keep us in mind!

P>*)))>{

Is using the Terminal Canyon trail out of the question on a mule? This was how the gold/silver ore was brought down from San Juan before the cable tram bucket line was installed. The next known trail would be the Golfo Camino Real, past El Aguaje... then turn north off the Camino Real towards Las Flores.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ZipLine
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2019 at 05:29 PM

Three days at a preferably very small, very exclusive six-star resort with a great spa and great food. Good views preferably of the sea, but mountains/desert views okay if unusually spectacular. No desire to run place to place. One place - done right.

Two daily massages AM and PM. Lots of hot tubbing, a few naps, lots of frozen margaritas. One outrageous meal per day with super snacking (pate, ceviche, tacos al pastor) in between.

A dark-eyed beauty with long dark hair (could be my wife!) as a companion.

Sit on my *ss and enjoy it.

This could be something like a very upscale Rancho Meiling type place. Way out in the weeds.

Beat that, you peasants!
Mr. Bills
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2019 at 05:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ZipLine  

. . . Beat that, you peasants!

BTDT
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2019 at 06:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ZipLine  
Three days at a preferably very small, very exclusive six-star resort with a great spa and great food. Good views preferably of the sea, but mountains/desert views okay if unusually spectacular. No desire to run place to place. One place - done right.

Two daily massages AM and PM. Lots of hot tubbing, a few naps, lots of frozen margaritas. One outrageous meal per day with super snacking (pate, ceviche, tacos al pastor) in between.

A dark-eyed beauty with long dark hair (could be my wife!) as a companion.

Sit on my *ss and enjoy it.

This could be something like a very upscale Rancho Meiling type place. Way out in the weeds.

Beat that, you peasants!

Easy. Drift on the hook in a beautiful bay with cliff on both sides. No one around for miles. Cooler full of ice cold Pacificos and lime. Cool tunes playing. Hot, humid, sultry weather. A lightning show in the distance across the Sea of Cortez. A couple senoritas to keep you company. Lots of late night swims. All my favorite things in life.

[Edited on 10-28-2019 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 10-27-2019 at 09:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Nikno  
My top 3 would be:

Btw for everyone posting about grey whales, check out Antonio's Eco Resort on San Ignacio Lagoon. They are the only operator that is locally owned and operated. Daniel, Antonio's son is a great guide, very knowledgable and an amazing guy.

Arroyo El Placer de los Peralta is the ticket. I have done most of it from both sides. A small group of experts can probably make it work. A bit much work alone.

Harald Pietschmann
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2019 at 08:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
Quote: Originally posted by Nikno  
My top 3 would be:

Arroyo El Placer de los Peralta is the ticket. I have done most of it from both sides. A small group of experts can probably make it work. A bit much work alone.

I tried to find a road to it going north from El Mármol (left fork at Mile 2.0 on the La Olvidada road)... after a few miles, it ended at a drug runner landing strip!

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.