BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5
Author: Subject: Graham's new adventure for 2019: Tracking and Messages Isla Angel de la Guarda. Photos added.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2019 at 02:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Santiago  
Anyone know what Desal unit Graham is using? Also curious on the paddle(s) he is using.

Don't know if you saw this Jim:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnVKWCZdIIo
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-15-2019 at 10:48 AM

Igor, Graham emailed me last night he is going out today on a "panga trip" and might be staying in L.A. Bay until after Thanksgiving. I will be sharing some of his photos he emailed me. I will email your question to him in case he is not reading Nomad before then.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2019 at 10:58 AM

I addition to the two photos Graham posted above...

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2019 at 05:04 PM

Thanks David.

Yes the water from this device tasted great. Never hesitated to drink it. When thirsty I would pump it directly into my mouth and enjoy. It takes a little pressure to pump but you'd barely notice.

After a nine hour paddle and spending an hour getting camp set up you wouldn't always feel like paddling out for another hour. But water is everything... so you do. Biggest problem was needing to paddle as well as pump to stop drifting too far with the currents out there. Theoretical yield - a gallon an hour, but way less when you're dealing with drift. I was dependent on it for nearly a week.

Hope all that isn't sending you all to sleep.

IMG_2892g1.JPG - 129kB

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2019 at 08:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

The desal pump.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-17-2019 at 08:28 PM

Graham, when I look at the camp photo, I am blown away to think that you brought it all with you on your kayak!

Great adventure, great share!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-17-2019 at 08:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

I think graham is great, and I enjoy his writing.

But that load on a solo kayak trip appears to be a disaster waiting to happen. Safe kayaking requires being able to self rescue: right the kayak, and scramble back on/in.
There is no way that kayak could be righted in waves and re-mounted by a swimmer.
Only way to remount that kayak is to unleash and ditch the load.

Graham, get a sea kayak, and learn/practice self-rescue!

[Edited on 11-18-2019 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2019 at 04:42 PM

I guess my mode of transport grew out of my time camping in Baja with a 60 lb backpack. My Cobra Tandem is rated to carry 600 lbs. That kayak is broad and slow, and ultra stable. Way more than the average sea kayak.

Crucially, I know my limitations and I'm usually 50-100 yards from shore ready to land in minutes... following the shore rather than cutting point to point.

I've been kayaking and camping like that since at least 2006, and I've just kayaked from Gonzaga to La Paz. Not once have I thought I'd end up in the water.

If the sea is rough I have no business being out... I'll be ashore using all my equipment to camp in comfort and waiting, exploring, days if necessary, for conditions to improve.

I don't go offshore. I'm always expecting the worst and preparing for it, keeping one eye on where I can land, seeking the latest wind forecasts.

The fatalities I've read about often involve sea kayaks and folks who exceed their limitations.

If the worst happens I have a knife in front of me and there's nothing on top that I couldn't do without... or wait to wash ashore.

I like the idea that being alone with a sit-on-top I stand a chance of quickly righting it and climbing right back on.

I'd imagine any kayaker going over in a wild and rough Sea of Cortez would be in trouble. I aim to never be in that position.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2019 at 05:00 PM

Hi Graham,
So how did you get from L.A. Bay to the island if you didn't paddle over?
Also, I see more wonderful photos just added to your Facebook page!
https://www.facebook.com/graham.mackintosh.71

Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2019 at 05:35 PM

I'll paddle over the Canal de las Ballenas when I have a death wish.

No, a panga took me, my kayak, and all my gear over on a nice calm day and dropped me in lovely Este Ton.

I should have taken more beer. :D

Pages:  1  ..  3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.