Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: VPN - question
elskel
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2019 at 07:14 PM
VPN - question

Hey all, Looking to get a VPN. Curious what people are using? Likes / Dislikes? Any info? Thanks, bk
elskel
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2019 at 06:04 AM

Thanks, my wife wants to watch some things: Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc., while south. Some things wont come through, because out of the country.
So, What VPN's are people using down south? Pros / Cons? Any other info?
Thanks, bk
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2019 at 06:59 AM

Living in Baja with a US VPN my biggest complaint is the big slowdown and the inability to connect to certain websites.
billklaser
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2019 at 07:51 AM

We just starting using ExpressVPN. Seems to work OK, Slows the internet down a little. Our purpose was for TV viewing on line. Just cancelled the Starchoice Canadian TV. So far working OK. A little buffering once in awhile.
elskel
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2019 at 08:28 AM

Thanks, Express VPN any others people like? I don't get why someone wouldn't want to pass along a service which is working good, U2U private message me if it's an issue.
Thanks, bk
8knots
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2019 at 08:33 AM

We have used Panda Pow for the last 3 years. Very satisfied and watch Netflix and Amazon whenever we want in Todos area.
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 10-30-2019 at 08:53 AM

I'm not a computer guy; but was it a VPN that the Beastwoman used when she was SecState??
elskel
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2019 at 09:01 AM

Hey Tod, Thanks for the info.
Brian
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 10-30-2019 at 09:37 AM

I went a different way and decided to pass on the VPN and give Mexico Netflix a go and im pretty happy with it! course I also have Directv to get my NFL sunday ticket and SX fix.....I just like to watch movies.
elskel
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2019 at 09:51 AM

Thanks
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2019 at 10:03 AM

I've had Nord VPN for 3 years. Highly rated and well priced. Works well in Baja for streaming. Lots of server location options. P2P service.

pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2019 at 12:36 PM

a few years ago I tried "SmartDNS + VPN" from OverPlay.net. At $9.95 per month, it wasn't a bad solution for being able to access stateside content from Baja, but it was as slow as any of the competing solutions. This was over 6 years ago, but the company still seems to be in business.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
tbnoble
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2019 at 04:56 PM

I use Private Internet Access (PIA) and have used it for the last several years (states and here in Socorrito) and really never noticed any slowness based on my speed testers. It is however difficult to get some websites (including one of my banks) as they will not allow VPN access. There are only so many servers and they all have numbers and any carrier can see the amount of traffic, almost none can back track to your original ip which why I use it. We use Mexico netflix on the TV and download streamed material to the computers from other sites and burn them onto a DVD disc. A hassle but we get pretty much everything stateside.
elskel
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2019 at 05:34 AM

Thanks for the responses.
bk
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 10-31-2019 at 09:46 AM

I tried Nord VPN for a while but my problem was that my smart TV connects to internet through my router and the VPN was on the desktop so the TV did not see it. I would have to hard wire my PC to the TV to use the VPN (they're in different rooms on different floors) unless there's something I'm missing. I contacted Nord and they said they could modify my router firmware (Netgear Nighthawk) for a price then I could install the VPN on the router but not sure I wanted to screw with my expensive router software. Other than that the VPN did work but did not accomplish what I really wanted. I'm not a computer nerd, am I missing something?

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
elskel
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2019 at 08:47 PM

Thanks for the responses.
bk
pacsur
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2019 at 05:34 AM

I’ve been using Astrill for 5+ years, $99 per year, bought another router to piggyback off my Telmex one so I can wirelessly connect to either one, my package with Astrill includes up to 5 devices, they also have an app if you just want to install on your device, able to select country or city you want to use.
elskel
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2019 at 10:06 PM

Thanks for the replies.
bk

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.