BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Stuck Sucks Kia photos?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-9-2019 at 10:45 AM
Stuck Sucks Kia photos?

S.S., you posted some race photos on the "click bait" thread that has now been deleted. Could you post them again here please?

No one would ever believe that my little Sportage could ever be up to an off road race without proof!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 11-9-2019 at 10:56 AM

Gary,
I must say again that I was very impressed with your Kia's abilities to make the Mulege -San Raymundo- San Juanico-La Purisima-Bahia Concepcion three day adventure seem like a cakewalk....crossing deep water, climbing out of riverbed washes, skipping over bulldozed watermelon rock areas, and all the time with Bailey not looking at all concerned....

But maybe it was the operator skill set and not the rig's innate abilities..... :coolup:

Pics??? ....hell no....too much time taken having fun

Don't believe everything you think....
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 11-9-2019 at 11:16 AM

its not the arrow - its the Indian

Harald Pietschmann
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-9-2019 at 01:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
its not the arrow - its the Indian

Good one! I took a Subaru 4WD with 13" tires to some incredible places, as well!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2019 at 02:46 PM

when I started exploring Baja 100 years ago while drive to this remote difficult to get to spring, I pointed out to my girlfriend how wise I had been to buy my super competent 4x4 with 3 lockers.
Praised myself for getting 3 lockers after every rock we had climbed over.

There was a party at the spring. Ranchers. None of them had a 4x4 - let alone lockers. Beat up pickups with the baldest of tires.
To top it off - a VW beetle.

I never mentioned my lockers again

Harald Pietschmann
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2019 at 03:31 PM

I wish I could find at least a limited slip differential for my Kia. They offered an optional sort of improved traction rear differential the first few years the Sportage was sold in the US, but they did not hold up very well, and are not available even from the dealer anymore.

The axle is a Mazda design, and I was hoping to find a limited slip differential from a Mazda, Ford or any other make that might fit that housing and axle arrangement, but no luck so far!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2019 at 04:22 PM

fitting limited slip or lockers to axles that were not designed to take the tremendous forces generated by locking devices will only lead to broken axles - one after the other.
Ask Jeep owners who have added lockers their axles
not pretty

spinning wheels might get you stuck
but they are also a "safety valve"
before you can generate forces high enough to break something, the wheels start slipping and spinning

slipping wheels are almost always initiated by uneven ground
get a shovel and stack some rocks and you can get almost anywhere
the exercise wouldn't hurt either

Harald Pietschmann
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2019 at 04:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
fitting limited slip or lockers to axles that were not designed to take the tremendous forces generated by locking devices will only lead to broken axles - one after the other.
Ask Jeep owners who have added lockers their axles
not pretty

spinning wheels might get you stuck
but they are also a "safety valve"
before you can generate forces high enough to break something, the wheels start slipping and spinning

slipping wheels are almost always initiated by uneven ground
get a shovel and stack some rocks and you can get almost anywhere
the exercise wouldn't hurt either

ExActly! I will also add, that before getting to that point, you should have already lowered the air pressure in all 4 tires, well below the recommended street pressure. Down to the 10-15 psi range to really improve traction and (surprisingly) to reduce tire rock damage... Just go SLOW!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2019 at 08:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
S.S., you posted some race photos on the "click bait" thread that has now been deleted. Could you post them again here please?

No one would ever believe that my little Sportage could ever be up to an off road race without proof!

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2019 at 08:59 AM

Found this 2015 thread on RDC about the KIA: What ever happened to the Kia?

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2019 at 10:17 AM

S.S., thanks for posting the photos! In the link you provided, the Sportage shown in the 2003 race shares the name with the older model, but nothing else is even similar in design. Did the original Sportage run Baja with the same little four banger I am running?

I bought my 98 Sportage 4 door in 2005 for $3200, but last year it got totaled, and the other guy's insurance gave me $2900 for it! I should have let it go to the scrap yard, but I salvaged it and continue to use it to skid logs, haul firewood and occasionally I pull a 350 gallon water tank to wet down my dirt roads.

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2019 at 03:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
S.S., thanks for posting the photos! In the link you provided, the Sportage shown in the 2003 race shares the name with the older model, but nothing else is even similar in design. Did the original Sportage run Baja with the same little four banger I am running?

Sorry, don't remember. As I recall the frame was the only OEM item, and the only piece of the car which raced in both the Dakar race and the 1000. Both the KIAs in the 1000 experienced transmission problems, just like Dakar, but both finished.

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 08:37 AM

i drove la paz to TJ in the spring of 1969 in a 1957 borgward goliath.
it took 3 weeks of all-day driving and moving rocks.
see photo of the make/model below. it was a tough trip for 3 17 y/o kids.

Goliath-GP900-1957-1web_65ec5311470a2be96dce9e3224b37a6f.jpg - 22kB
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 08:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
i drove la paz to TJ in the spring of 1969 in a 1957 borgward goliath.
it took 3 weeks of all-day driving and moving rocks.
see photo of the make/model below. it was a tough trip for 3 17 y/o kids.

This is a story that begs to be told... and with photographs along the way!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.