Pages:  1  2    4  ..  6
Author: Subject: Global Warming Projected to Strike Again
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 08:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Oh, how sweet.
So, the palm tree is still above high tide, two generations from now?
I am glad it was such an obviously good way to prove the seas are not rising any drastic amount. This palm tree has been just above the high tide point for over 80 years in photographs.
Since trees do not uproot themselves and move, it is an excellent benchmark.
Also, since the land behind the palm is flat, if the sea was just a foot or so higher than 80 years ago, that land would be a lagoon today!

This photo was taken in 1949:

This photo was taken in 2016:

what happened to the Palm on the far right (how Ironic!) David,

and the 2 smaller trees on either side of the magic palm - where did they go?

==== ==
Different zoom level and angle. Maybe the single tree on the right is just off screen?
2 smaller trees beside the Magic palm ???? Things happen in 67 years.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 08:56 AM

70 years have passed between 1949 and 2019, do I really need to explain to you that the area is a busy campground now and things change? The world is not static, everything changes. Even the sea will change... LOL

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 09:45 AM

LOL? WTF?
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 10:16 AM

DK? I swear every time you open your mouth, you embarrass your self..The sign on the DK memorial will be like 4 feet off the ground..NOT at root level...Read what Harald wrote LOL
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 10:44 AM

Ditto to you Chuck.
I can't make this any more simple... and I wasn't even going to post in this thread but someone is so threatened at how simple the truth is, apparently.
The palm tree (or any set benchmark along the coast) was just above the sea (high tide) 70 years ago... and still is today.
So...
What is the hysteria about?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 10:48 AM

Take a pill David ....Go to Costco and get a sense of humor Get over yourself.....LOL (your favorite phrase)
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 10:53 AM

Ha ha ha... funny.

This is not about me, this is about the truth... and the truth is there is no sea level crisis despite the groupthink.

Here, another location on the other side of the planet:

daveB
Nomad

Mood: wondering about Nomads!

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 11:26 AM

The Arctic and Antarctic have been warming at an unusual rate for a few years now. Friends had plans to hike across Baffin Island, not such an uncommon thing to do, 12 years ago. They started out to find melt water everywhere, bridges constructed years before, washed out. A helicopter came in and picked them up, taking them out, with the reason being, the sea ice had largely gone and polar bears were then going to the is land in numbers, and would now be too much of a danger to hikers. This was 2008. The situation has not gotten any better, only worse. Polar bears hunt from ice floes, when there are none their sea life becomes largely unavailable. Looking for a surge in water levels is not the first thing do do, the sea ice changes nothing to depth, of course. As the large land ice masses of Greenland and Antarctica melt more into sea, which is just beginning, more depth will be added to oceans. By that time things near the Poles will have already be changed more than mankind has ever seen. What has happened to the weather other areas of the world will also be different to a greater or lesser, extent. And a rise in ocean levels will eventually displace millions of people. maybe the palms on El Coyote will be changed to mangroves?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 11:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
"DK memorial Palm"
love it!
we should attach a plaque

wouldn't it be ironic to send David's grand kids pictures of water close to the plaque in 50 years?

DK,
how do you want your name listed on the plaque?
Do you want to be present at the unveiling?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 12:01 PM

not many will have a place named after them (without being dead, that is)

we need to make sure that future pictures are taken from the same place, in the same direction, at the same angle, same tide

finally something scientific with David's name
love the irony

Harald Pietschmann
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 12:38 PM

didnt somebody put up a sign for dk at shell island?
he will be a really famous boy if he gets a second memorial!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 02:04 PM

Unlike some here, I want people to think for themselves. So, I (and others) provide the evidence and all you need to do is use your eyes and brain.
Others want to tell you what to think. They tell you that science is done collecting data because they all got together and agree on the data collected up to then.

Reality is that science doesn't stop and conditions keep changing. They love that the Arctic ice shrank but neglect to say the Antarctic ice has grown in record amounts.
The sea may be 4" taller, but that's still less than the occasional extreme high tides have gone the past 60 years.
Even if it did raise more, what do you think you can do to change the change and should you alter a natural event or should you simply learn to live with it?

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 03:55 PM

Dunning/Kruger is all I can say

Harald Pietschmann
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 03:56 PM

Wow, a lot of people piling on DavidK here. Clearly everyone with an opinion is an expert. Time to hit the reset button again and try to be civil. At the end of the day none of us know what is going to happen. Why don't we start panicking about the impending asteroid strike that is sure to happen. Nobody can prove it wont, right?
Come on experts, lighten up. You aren't going to solve any of it by sitting behind your keyboard insulting a guy.
Peace and Love
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 04:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  
Wow, a lot of people piling on DavidK here. Clearly everyone with an opinion is an expert. Time to hit the reset button again and try to be civil. At the end of the day none of us know what is going to happen. Why don't we start panicking about the impending asteroid strike that is sure to happen. Nobody can prove it wont, right?
Come on experts, lighten up. You aren't going to solve any of it by sitting behind your keyboard insulting a guy.
Peace and Love

Shhhh... no talking during their worship service.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 04:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Unlike some here, I want people to think for themselves. So, I (and others) provide the evidence and all you need to do is use your eyes and brain.

You probably already know this comes across as condescending, right? If these words were written by anyone else, I'd think they were joking, tongue in cheek stuff.

Me? Carry on.

(Saw a t-shirt that read: what I say before any important decision: F*CK IT!) I think this is very funny.

Oh, and climate change? Whatever.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 06:29 PM

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 06:44 PM

sea levels are rising
even David admits to that
he subjects to the panic around "catastrophic events"
in terms of numbers the sea level rise is not eye popping or catastrophic - about 1/2 inch every year
the palm tree will be safe for a long time
none of us here will get wet feet for the rest of our lives

however, the miniscule 1/2 rise per year will have catastrophic effects on hundreds of millions of people living in low areas of the world
but just like not caring about the life conditions of people south of San Diego, we could shrug it off
not us
not our families
they don't even speak English

So, David is right
don't let scientists scare you - YOU will not be affected

and this effing liberal idea of helping everyone on this planet can make MAGA people only yawn
it is me first, then maybe America - who gives a fu*% about the rest

Harald Pietschmann
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 06:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
DK? I swear every time you open your mouth, you embarrass your self..The sign on the DK memorial will be like 4 feet off the ground..NOT at root level...Read what Harald wrote LOL

And another comment from someone who ought to know about embarrassing ones self. 😂😂
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Closed
11-12-2019 at 08:08 PM
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2019 at 12:41 PM
Sea level change in Venice over 50 years

Just read an article about recent tidal flooding in Venice. It noted that the local sea level has risen 4" in 50 years, according to local records office.

https://enewspaper.latimes.com/desktop/latimes/default.aspx?...

Not sure if the increase has been linear or exponential over time.

John

[Edited on 11-16-2019 by John Harper]
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.