Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Searching for a Medication
kiterkip
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 08:52 AM
Searching for a Medication

Looking for a medication we could possibly purchase at a Baja farmacia instead of here in Tacoma WA, USA. It's crazy expensive up here.

It is called Liothyronine... and oral thyroid medication for my wife.

My guess is that it's a medication that is not a generic, nor would it be available at the Similar.

Traveling this week to Cabo, La Paz, Los Barriles, more.

Thank You.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 09:04 AM

https://www.pharmacychecker.com/liothyronine+sodium/
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 09:31 AM

Get a script from your US doctor, take it to a pharmacy that has an associated Mexican doctor. For less than 100 pesos he will tell you if it is available, write you a Mexican script (if needed) and tell you where it is available
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 10:40 AM

Mexican pharmacy types confuse me.
There seems to be a pharmacy on every block, but most sell only common meds. For uncommon/expensive meds you need to find a more comprehensive pharmacy,... but i can never tell which pharmacy is comprehensive by signage.
Anyone know the distinction between pharmacies and how to find the ones that sells the less common meds?

fyi, re the OPs Q, the TJ pharmacies that serve pharmacy tourists all advertise online, so you might start with their websites, they seem to be informative

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

kiterkip
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 11:08 AM

Same experience. I now know that the "Similare" pharmacy is all very basic and generic stuff. Great prices, limited selection.

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Mexican pharmacy types confuse me.
There seems to be a pharmacy on every block, but most sell only common meds. For uncommon/expensive meds you need to find a more comprehensive pharmacy,... but i can never tell which pharmacy is comprehensive by signage.
Anyone know the distinction between pharmacies and how to find the ones that sells the less common meds?

fyi, re the OPs Q, the TJ pharmacies that serve pharmacy tourists all advertise online, so you might start with their websites, they seem to be informative
karenintx
Senior Nomad

Mood: Living The Dream

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 11:09 AM

Have you looked at Goodrx.com? Just doing a quick Google search it shows the generic is Cytomel.

https://www.goodrx.com/liothyronine

Good Luck.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 11:51 AM

Similares pharmacies (like Dr. Simi) sell mainly generic drugs

Farmacias Guadalajara is a chain that sells generic and almost all patented drugs
https://www.farmaciasguadalajara.com.mx/PaginaWebFragua/

Farmacias Especializadas sells only patented drugs
https://farmaciasespecializadas.com/?gclid=CjwKCAiAzanuBRAZE...

Harald Pietschmann
Nikno
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 12:33 PM

This is a fairly common medication and is available in Mexico in 25 mcg dosage. In Mexico it goes by the name of Cynomel. (In the US the brand name is Cytomel). I'm not sure if it is available generic. Other dosages may be available.
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 01:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by kiterkip  
Looking for a medication we could possibly purchase at a Baja farmacia instead of here in Tacoma WA, USA. It's crazy expensive up here.

It is called Liothyronine... and oral thyroid medication for my wife.

My guess is that it's a medication that is not a generic, nor would it be available at the Similar.

Traveling this week to Cabo, La Paz, Los Barriles, more.

Thank You.

Are you passing through La Ventana this year?

Try the pharmacy on the main road across from the Casa Tara Hotel. There is a doctor and a pharmacist on duty at all times. They both speak English and they own the business.

They can obtain just about any prescription that you need. They have LOTS of common (and uncommon) prescriptions in stock and they will order in just about any other prescription if given two days notice. New clients with special order prescriptions will probably have to prepay.

Just for example: A US prescription for Lyrica was $800/month at US pharmacies (without insurance). The generic was available and in stock at the El Sargento pharmacy for $5/month. Yeah, FIVE DOLLARS! The brand name Lyrica prescription is available at the pharmacy on a two day special order for $90 US/month.
BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 01:47 PM

Hola,

have you tried costco or walmart in baja ?

i call the costco pharmacy in tijuana and order corticosteroid injectibles in 5 ml vials and they have it ready for me to pick up in a few days.

if interested, there are two costcos in tijuana so make sure you order and pickup at the right one. you can ask for an english speaking person and they will acomodate you.

please be aware that there is a very high incidence of bootleg drugs that are not the real prescription drug you are seeking. that is why i go to costco or walmart as they are trustworthy or soriano or mega which are a large mexican chain.

have you asked your doctor or pharmacist if there is a generic for your drug ? ( perhaps a silly question )

good luck.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 01:58 PM

P.S. may i suggest you call a costco pharmacy in baja from washington and ask how much the original costs and if there is a generic for it as well ?

if they have what you are looking for, ask them how long they can hold it for you and give them your approximate schedule for pickup.

i am sure you can get the number from the costco website.

tijuana, ensenada, la paz and cabo all have costcos. maybe other cities too ?

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT
Whiskey Witch
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 03:26 PM

There is a Sam's Club in La Paz. There is no Costco in La Paz. The nearest one is in Cabo San Lucas.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 04:13 PM

I have been able to find my migraine med (Zomig) at the Wal-Mart pharmacy in Cabo and in Ensenada. (and I hate Wal-Mart!!)
Lots cheaper than here and no prescription needed

And by the way, if you suffer from the awful curse of migraine this stuff really works.
It is in the "triptan" family of Immitrex, Maxalt and Zomig.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 04:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  

And by the way, if you suffer from the awful curse of migraine this stuff really works.
It is in the "triptan" family of Immitrex, Maxalt and Zomig.

I had horrendous migraines maybe a couple times a year as a kid, thank God they ended when I was 18 for some reason. Horrible, horrible experience for a kid. Pretty much made me delirious. I don't recall any meds for them back then, just aspirin and try to sleep, ice cold towel over my head. I found using ice towels on my wrists and neck helped, maybe cooled the blood?

John

[Edited on 11-12-2019 by John Harper]
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 05:20 PM

Canadian pharmacy? Quality may not be the same in Mexico. Check expiration dates too.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 05:39 PM

what are you doing?
its your wife...who cares what it costs

bring the correct meds your doc prescribed
a buck a pill isn't worth her life

thyroid problems can be huge if you screw around with chemicals

if you lived in mexico then you could "shop around" for the "correct" stuff

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 06:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
what are you doing?
its your wife...who cares what it costs?

I believe his wife has the right to make her own decisions about her own healthcare. Don't you?

We don't know their story, budget, experiences, etc. Life is a gamble as it is, let them bet their money how they wish.

John

[Edited on 11-13-2019 by John Harper]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 06:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
what are you doing?
its your wife...who cares what it costs?

I believe his wife has the right to make her own decisions about her own healthcare. Don't you?

In the usa, the gop says the government should control what woman may do with their bodies. The gop every day fights to take away a woman’s right to choose. It is even enshrined in their party platform.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Kimpatsu_Hekigan
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 07:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Nikno  
This is a fairly common medication and is available in Mexico in 25 mcg dosage. In Mexico it goes by the name of Cynomel.

I have only been able to find Cynomel 25 mcg tablets at two pharmacies in Mexico City and at branches of the Farmácias Benavides chain, the closest of which in Baja Sur is in La Paz.

Another brand name for this drug is Triyotex, but it is only available in 75 mcg capsules, which means you will have to open the capsules and dole out or repackage to get smaller doses.

Suerte,

K.H.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.