BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Who has been to Isla Magdalena?
Nikno
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 10:32 PM
Who has been to Isla Magdalena?

I'm going to be driving around Comondú for a few days and I thought I might knock a trip off of my Baja bucket list. I would like to visit Isla Magdalena and explore the island. It looks like some pretty amazing landscape out there.

Has anyone on here done it? Can you give some thoughts about it?

Here are some specific questions I have:

1. Is it easy to arrange for a barge in Puerto Adolfo Lopez Mateos to take my Jeep Wrangler across the bay to the island? About how much does that cost? How do I arrange for pick up when I am ready to go back? (Assuming there is no cell service)

2. Are the locals on the island friendly and do they enjoy visitors? Most people I encounter in Baja are very friendly obviously, but in some remote areas they sometimes don't like tourists.

3. Is there firewood laying around the beach and around the island or do we need to bring wood?

4. Any cool special sights, spectacular spots to visit or camping recommendations?

We plan on crossing in the morning, driving the main beach and checking out the sand dunes, head south and visit the small fishing village by the mangrove and continue all the way down to Puerto Magdalena. Find a nice place to camp by the water. We will bring all supplies. Then next day drive around a bit more and get ferried back to mainland sometime in the afternoon.
bobrehfuss
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 11:42 PM

[Edited on 11-14-2019 by bobrehfuss]
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2019 at 06:07 AM

I don't think you can take a private vehicle over there anymore. Had some friends turned back last spring.

You might be able to arrange for a local island fisherman take you around the island with his vehicle that has a permit to be on the island for work.

There is cell service on the island.
Nikno
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2019 at 08:52 AM

Can anyone confirm what Mula is saying that you can't take private vehicles to Isla Magdalena anymore? That would be some pretty important information for my planning.

Bob: Thank you for the offer. I will take you up on that once I get a little further in the planning. When is the last time you have been there? Have you heard anything about what Mula said that you can't take private vehicle over there anymore?
bobrehfuss
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2019 at 11:39 AM

Nikno
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2019 at 12:59 PM

I contacted Mag Bay Outfitters and heard back from Diana Hoyt. Here is the information she gave me:

- They do not own the barge anymore and they don't believe it is currently operating.

- They no longer own the cabins on Isla Magdalena.

- The island is now a national park and a permit is required to visit.

- No private vehicles on the island without a special permit.

She is going to try to put me in touch with someone who can arrange a visit to the island. I will update once I learn more information.
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2019 at 01:01 PM

If you respect wildlife, it is better to not drive on the beach in remote areas as it may harm turtle and bird eggs.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-13-2019 at 01:07 PM

Glad to hear the island is car free, makes for a better wilderness experience w/o cars and noise. For the handicapped boat access is still available.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

bobrehfuss
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2019 at 07:54 PM

Glad you got through to MBO and thanks for the update on the island.

Misguided good intentions IMO.

Glad I had the good fortune to be part of the “problem” before it got “solved”.

geraldalexander7
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2019 at 09:25 PM

I visit the Isla several times per year. I hire a local to transport me to isolated beaches. I have not driven on the island. I will ask the captains i use to see if they can arrange to transport you out to the island....I have camped overnight on the dunes.

Gerald

Facebook.com/Gerald Beltran
Casas & Condos for rent in La Paz...$100US per/month.....Daily & weekly rates also.
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2019 at 09:10 AM

The Baja Ha Ha sailing regatta passes thru Bahia Santa Maria on the south end. The bay is a popular cruiser transit point to the tip
121 boats are in the bay today for the big softball game and beach party, event is held every year, awesome adventure, see latitude 38 magazine

[Edited on 11-14-2019 by BajaTed]

Es Todo Bueno
Nikno
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2019 at 11:06 AM

Thanks Gerald! Camping on the dunes sounds great. If you find out anything about car transport, please let me know. I know the locals sometimes transport their cars back and forth. Or else I will probably just do the same as you and have a panga drop me there for the night.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2019 at 12:49 PM

Nikno - I'd be interested in knowing where to get the permit, transportation, and cost. Any water available on the island?
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2019 at 02:52 PM

Take your own water. None available on the island.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.