BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Lost Ship of the Desert, new search in Baja on Sci Channel.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-13-2019 at 11:14 AM
Lost Ship of the Desert, new search in Baja on Sci Channel.

A new search for the lost ship (a lost ship) was Episode 1 for this new show, Unexplained and Unexplored. It includes my friends Robert Marcos and John Grasson and takes the search team south of Mexicali:

https://www.sciencechannel.com/tv-shows/unexplained-and-unex...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2019 at 11:33 AM

This lost ship is roughly in the Colorado delta?

Nikno
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2019 at 11:34 AM

Excited to watch this tonight. San Diego Reader recently had an article about the pirate ship:

https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2019/may/15/feature-remn...

If anyone plans on going out there to search for it, don't even try going in the summer months. 120+ degree days are common and people perish there every year. There are emergency towers all across the Laguna Salada because so many people have died out there.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2019 at 11:42 AM

Nikno, that was Robert Marcos who wrote the Reader article. You can see replies by me and John Grasson below it, too.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-13-2019 at 12:09 PM

while you are out in the delta looking for the "lost ship," please take some time to hunt for snipes and unicorns too.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2019 at 12:13 PM

let me guess how this ends.
don't find anything, except a few spurious objects that they morph into flimsy support of their money sucking - get on TV scheme.

This is the same Hunting for big foot / Hitler / lost gold train/ ship/ plane/ amelia erhardtt, lock ness Monster, Amazon civilization story that we see ad infinitum on TV - the public eats it up -

but first you have to believe for some reason the ships split and the small one thinks the Northwest passage is the fast way back to europe - right!

weird that you would burn the other ship - why not leave it partially loaded, leave your small ship behind (or burn it) and have the crew sail the bigger ship with more gold and loot on board.

You have to accept a whole bunch of flimsy supposition to buy off on this - but hey, it got em on TV - sand thats what this is all about - right!
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2019 at 12:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Nikno  
Excited to watch this tonight. San Diego Reader recently had an article about the pirate ship:

https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2019/may/15/feature-remn...

If anyone plans on going out there to search for it, don't even try going in the summer months. 120+ degree days are common and people perish there every year. There are emergency towers all across the Laguna Salada because so many people have died out there.

all those people dying out there, all those searchers, all those medical aid,all those tower builders - etc etc etc, and no one has found anything? nothing? seriously? huh - almost seems like there is nothing there!
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 11-13-2019 at 12:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
let me guess how this ends.
don't find anything, except a few spurious objects that they morph into flimsy support of their money sucking - get on TV scheme.

This is the same Hunting for big foot / Hitler / lost gold train/ ship/ plane/ amelia erhardtt, lock ness Monster, Amazon civilization story that we see ad infinitum on TV - the public eats it up -

but first you have to believe for some reason the ships split and the small one thinks the Northwest passage is the fast way back to europe - right!

weird that you would burn the other ship - why not leave it partially loaded, leave your small ship behind (or burn it) and have the crew sail the bigger ship with more gold and loot on board.

You have to accept a whole bunch of flimsy supposition to buy off on this - but hey, it got em on TV - sand thats what this is all about - right!

this aired late night a couple nights ago........you sir are spot on
vacaenbaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2019 at 12:30 PM

Oh Goody. I still am on pins and needles about OAK ISLAND!!
Talk about stretching something out
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2019 at 12:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Nikno, that was Robert Marcos who wrote the Reader article. You can see replies by me and John Grasson below it, too.

several other replies too - most pointing out the inaccuracies in the story!

looks to me like there are a few people who have researched this much more thoroughly than Mr. Marcos
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-13-2019 at 12:59 PM

And don't forget the WWII German and Japanese submarines and their "secret" base
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2019 at 03:00 PM

The history of steamboats on the Colorado river is one of my favorite subjects. Read about Herman Ehrenberg, he lived a more colorful life than Wyatt Earp.

Es Todo Bueno
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2019 at 04:09 PM

Yes, caj, regarding the accuracy, I talked to Robert AFTER that Reader article was published. He now knows more.

BajaTed, it is a good subject to learn about... The Colorado Delta Steamboats... before Hoover Dam when you could navigate to Yuma and far beyond!

BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2019 at 09:49 AM

At my other home in Ehrenberg AZ, I have links of chain from a 1860's Colorado river steamboat.
When I went to San Felipe as a teen in the 70's, I saw the same type of chain links.

The river delta has changed a lot since the 1860's
The desert ship is a steamboat

Es Todo Bueno
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2019 at 11:13 AM

I don't doubt the steamboat history on the colorado, I look forward to educating myself more on that subject.

But to stay on the original topic, if you were a captain of a sailing ship and the waters you were sailing in kept getting muddier and muddier, and less and less salty, at what point would a seasoned sailor say - uh - there aint no ocean up ahead - clearly this is a delta that drains a big river.

at that point - It seems to me you give up on the idea that its some sort of magic shortcut to the northwest passage - and you turn around and head back to the open ocean.

But purveyers of this particular legend, in order to keep believing - they have to believe that these guys were dumb enough to not figure that out?
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2019 at 11:18 AM

Had a friend who is a dowser. Many years ago (at least 35), he told me he dowsed an outline of a ship in Laguna Salada. Seems like lidar should be able to find something (?)
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 11-14-2019 at 11:36 AM

boat up to Coachella? an old but interesting read.......

https://www.kcet.org/socal-focus/global-warming-storm-surges...
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2019 at 02:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
Had a friend who is a dowser. Many years ago (at least 35), he told me he dowsed an outline of a ship in Laguna Salada. Seems like lidar should be able to find something (?)

On the show, they used the drone near Hwy. 5 by Rio Hardy rather than over at Laguna Salada (or the upper Laguna Salada, as some call the flats that Hwy. 5 goes over the lower Laguna Salada).

The map used to illustrate the search grid area was not correct as related to the Cocopah mountains. They were east of the mountains on the delta by Hwy. 5 but the TV map showed the grid west of the mountains (in Laguna Salada valley).

These shows are fun to watch but it would be nice if they actually found something! At least on America Unearthed, I showed Scott Wolter the ship petroglyph and not another empty hole in the ground! LOL

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2019 at 03:03 PM

I also do not wish to hijack this thread but I believe the history of the exploration of the Colorado River can be stretched to this lost ship discussion.

BajaTed has a wonderful opportunity for research by the very nature of where he lives; and this is really local history for him.

Robert Brewster Stanton conducted an exploration from Green River Utah to the mouth of the Colorado to determine whether it was possible to construct a railroad along the river. The Library of Congress has many Stanton photos available through on-line searching. Additionally, one of Stanton's works is linked here

https://www.loc.gov/item/99446133/

This is his listing of Colorado River explorations from 1504 until 1908 (no mention of James White for those of you who know THAT story!). It is a map that can be downloaded in a file as large as 169 mb from the above link. Lots of information is presented.

Steamboats on the Colorado is also an interest of mine. A readily available book on the subject is by Richard E. Lingenfelter "Steamboats on the Colorado River" - nearly 200 pages with a large number of photos. Other titles: "A Voyage on the Colorado - 1878: by Francis Berton; "Captain Isaac Polhamus II Desert Mariner" by Isaac Polhamus IV - these are among many.

Lost ships? I've got a title about that here somewhere I think. I'll try to dig it up and post it.

John M

I found my Lost Ship story, or I ought to say stories for there are several. The November 1953 issue of "Calico Print" pages 31 to 42 contain several different stories.

The main story is by desert writers, one-time owners of Desert Magazine, and long ago acquaintance of ours, Lucile & Harold Weight. Lucile is the Lucile Harris you'll see on the early issues of Desert Magazine. Second story "A Ghost of the Vikings?" by Paul Wilhelm. Third, "Mystery of the Desert" by J.A. Guthrie. Those of you who follow desert writers of the 50s & 60s would guess that L. Burr Belden would have to have a story, this time it's "The Lost Spanish Galleon." There are three additional articles, "The Quest for the Lost Ship" San Bernardion Guardian, and "The Serpent-Necked Canoa" by Ed Stevens followed by "Butcherknife Ike and the Lost Ship" by Adelaide Arnold.

Lastly, the Desert Magazine Subject Index shows the January 1939, March 1977, and March 1966 also have Lost Ship stories.

JM

I'll re-read these short stories and see what gives.

[Edited on 11-14-2019 by John M]

[Edited on 11-14-2019 by John M]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2019 at 03:46 PM

Your hijacks are always welcome, John! Anything on Port Isabel to add?

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.