BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Lost Ship of the Desert, new search in Baja on Sci Channel.
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2019 at 03:53 PM
Port Isabel?

Yes, I have a good deal on that. Something specific?

John
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2019 at 03:57 PM

VERY impressive. Gotta zoom in to see what's going on.

Quote: Originally posted by John M  
https://www.loc.gov/item/99446133/

BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2019 at 04:42 PM

Here is a very good read about Ehrenberg and historic La Paz 6 miles away. I've been exploring La Paz for over 10 years and have found sections of the historic Ehrenberg road

What is the Baja connection?
H. Ehrenberg in 1854 was shipwrecked on an island in the Sea of Cortez, SOMEHOW traveled by FOOT through Baja, Sonora and into AZ.

http://www.ecv5917.com/Articles/LapazByStragnell.html

BTW, Mike Goldwater was the grandfather of Barry Goldwater, who was more conservative than Nixon

Es Todo Bueno
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2019 at 05:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
Had a friend who is a dowser. Many years ago (at least 35), he told me he dowsed an outline of a ship in Laguna Salada. Seems like lidar should be able to find something (?)

Unless of course the Dowser was blowing smoke up your skirt!
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2019 at 06:39 PM

Ha! I've seen him in action more than once - as to those occasions he was correct.
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2019 at 07:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
Ha! I've seen him in action more than once - as to those occasions he was correct.

Bahahaahaahaaa!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-15-2019 at 10:43 AM

We met a dowser in Guadalupe Canyon... He claimed he could find buried metal as easily as he could find water. We hid a metal object to test him... and sure enough... he located it.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2019 at 10:59 AM

Dowsing is a bit controversial. I saw a dowser locate a spot for a well, only thirty feet from an existing dry well and they drilled down and hit a gusher that now irrigates a vineyard. I don't believe in it myself but perhaps the power of positive thinking has something to do with it.

Regarding the lost ship of the desert, I have heard several versions over the years, but I have to say that the odds of the Content heading north into the Sea of Cortez is nil. They were English, and would have known of Drake's voyage, which sailed north all the way to Drake's Bay before giving up on the Strait of Anain and heading west across the Pacific eventually returning to England, having circumnavigated the globe. The Content most likely lies on the bottom of the Pacific, sprung a leak and sank with her heavy cargo.

EDIT: The odds of the Content heading north is almost nil. (added almost) The destination was south, not north, and although the Spaniards tried to keep their navigational secrets the English must have known that the Manila Galleons departed Acapulco, went across the Pacific on the trade winds, and returned across the northern Pacific to alta California and then back south to Acapulco. At that time navigators were able to determine latitude and they would have sailed to the south to catch the trades, not bucked the wind to the north and west, unless.... The Capitan decided to sail north for some reason, maybe to take a stab a the straight, or in hopes of a west wind across the Pacific further north, and thinking that Baja was an island got swept into the Laguna Salada on a big tidal bore. As I recall a steamship sunk due to the same reason. end of edit

Caj, the reason they would have burned the Galleon was because it took a crew of several hundred men to sail a large ship like that (600 tuns), after a long voyage in tropical seas it would have been leaking like a sieve from shipworms and required constant pumping.

An excellent reference for history of the early sea voyages is The Southern Voyages by Morison. Of note is that Cavenidish was cold hearted to the point of being a sociopath, and possibly incompetent. The capture of the Spanish Galleon may have been a lucky fluke; when he tried to repeat the same voyage a few years later he failed miserably and died at sea along with most of the crew. However, upon his return from the first voyage he was considered a hero of England, and had an audience with Queen Elizabeth, who wittily said "Their ships loaded with gold and silver from the Indies come hither after all" (Morison)

[

[Edited on 11-15-2019 by bajaric]
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2019 at 10:34 AM

Really enjoyed the story and links to the other good material... So many things could have happened, but it sure would be cool to stumble on a ship while out in the desert... When I was young my grandfather took me all over the US looking for gold and treasure so these kinds of stories always get my attention... Thanks for posting.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.