Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: HY 5 south to Hy 1
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2020 at 09:11 AM

Longest detour is north of Puertecitos where several new bridges are under construction.
South of Puertecitos not so much.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2020 at 03:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Rossman  
Drove from Asuncion to Palm Springs today. The infamous 23 miles from Chapala turnoff is now completely paved. Almost looks like they completed it yesterday. No striping on the recently paved mile in the middle and still working on the shoulders but completely paved.
I just came through S/B on Feb 6. Road is paved all the way to Mx1. Just a few detours for bridge construction/repair between Puertocitos and Gonzaga.

I think there were 5 checkpoints to La Paz. As usual because I was southbound got waved through at every one except San Ignacio. They spent about 10 minutes digging though things before sending me on.

In Memory of E-57
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 2-17-2020 at 10:33 PM

Hi All!

We took the mini-4X4 for a spin today from KM 46 to Km 200 on HWY5. The damn thing’s finally paved all the way!

There are still 2 construction detours north of Puertecitos and 2 more south. There are 2 more mini drive arounds where they’re working on bridges south of Puertecitos but the rest is finally paved.

Both gas stations were open and had gas (regular only)!

South of Gonzaga there are a bunch of wrong mileage signs as well. There are 2 turnoffs for Coco’s Corner, both well marked.

Chapela has water in it! They’re working on HWY1 both North and South of where HWY5 joins and building a bypass north to redo some of HWY1

Looks like there’s going to be a restaurant opening soon there as well!

It took us 1hr 50 min to drive the 155KM at 70-80 KMPH

Lots of wild flowers & 1st time Visitors too!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-18-2020 at 09:29 AM

Hi RF, can you elaborate on this:
"South of Gonzaga there are a bunch of wrong mileage signs as well."

Do you have kilometer markers for these?:
"There are 2 turnoffs for Coco’s Corner, both well marked."

Paul W gave us a pretty exact marker for the north Coco's (old road) junction. It was at KM. 179.5.

Now, when I measured the distance on a satellite image with the new road construction shown (ArcGIS, not Google Earth). I come up with it being closer to Km. 175.5. So, I am curious about what you meant.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 3-1-2020 at 03:53 PM

Sorry,

Didn’t see this until today.

Since we go that way frequently I don’t pay much attention to the KM signs which are sketchy at best.

The bad KM signs are 2 or 3 duplicates. I think that they all said 34 or 44 KM to the 1/5 junction but the remaining distance was only about 20KM.

The 2 Coco’s Corners signs are within a couple of KMs of each other. They are off the new road to the left prior to that last old detour that went left around the base of the mountain (all this is S.B.)

Sorry I can’t be more specific we were out for a Sunday drive!
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2020 at 12:52 PM

Drove it the other day...down towards BOLA and back. It's done. All the way from San Felipe to Chapala (two small bridges still being worked on) is paved. Never thought I'd see the day but that day is here. :o:o:o
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 3-20-2020 at 01:00 PM

Were there pot holes yet?

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2020 at 09:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
Were there pot holes yet?

Yes, right in front of the new Starbucks at Five Islands!
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2020 at 09:54 AM

I was told by some of my neighbors that Papa's cantina and camping is closed for the next month due to the Corona virus.
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2020 at 07:30 AM

So.. there is now a quarantine checkpoint north of SF, stopping all tourist traffic heading towards SF... where is the roadblock “south” of SF (if there is one) for traffic coming from the south?

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 4-4-2020 at 07:59 AM

I'm guessing the quarantine checkpoint north of SF is the military checkpoint, true or is it elsewhere?

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.