BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5
Author: Subject: What are the best Baja Tires?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-14-2022 at 04:17 PM

The industry standard is to only repair punctures <0.25" in center portion of tread area. Most shops in USA follow industry standard. Repairs to sidewall are iffy,... ask yourself if you would be comfortable experiencing rapid tire failure at 80 mph?

String plugs are temporary patches. You really should open tire and inspect/patch inside at some time after temp plug..

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 11-14-2022 at 05:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by eguillermo  
If there's still any patience out there for my level of tire naiveté, I have another question . . . :)

My main reasons to get a new set of tires are basically a) it seems like the KOs haven't been very durable, and, more importantly, b) I'm worried that tires that have been patched -- at least 2 of them on the edges where only the local mom & pop shop was even willing to patch them -- are likely to be even LESS durable.

Fragile tires aren't what anyone wants in Baja, especially off-road. But is that correct thinking, to assume that patched tires are less durable? Otherwise, they still have a trip's worth of wear in the tread for sure.

Seems like conventional wisdom, but one hates to assume!

fwiw, I'll never buy BFG A/T LT tires again for off-road use. Too many failures (for me personally) that shouldn't have been, off-road in Baja. All in Toyota small and mid-sized 4WD pickups with no heavy load on-board (this matters as well, so I'm noting it).

Patches on the sidewalls are dangerous. Good patches on the tread (as noted previously, perhaps 1/4" or more off the sidewall) I personally view as good-to-go with a tire that otherwise has good tread left. If I've needed a patch in Baja, I've always observed them do the work to make sure I'm comfortable with the quality of the materials, process, etc. They aren't always all that I hope for - and I've had to take what was available to me at times. I usually carry two spares, and will take a tire with a questionable patch-job that lasted for a while (like on the return home from Baja) and made it one of the two spares for potential use in the future (hopefully no-use though).

A plug is another thing altogether - and those should be viewed as temporary. I know people that use Slime as a temporary fix and keep some on-board with them for the backroads.

[Edited on 11-15-2022 by BajaNomad]

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2022 at 05:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  
I have a 1999 F-250 with 382,000 miles and many of those in Baja and other places with a camper. The first 40k I had the factory tires and since then have run BFG AT and 50k is target. Still waiting to have a tire failure of any kind off road. Have picked up some metal a few times NOB and Discount tire has either repaired or in one instance replaced at prorated cost. When in Baja or on any dirt I run the front at 30 PSI and the rear at 35 PSI. Makes for a smooth ride on any surface and I have never had a concern about tires.

YMMV

What psi on the pavement?

55 PSI with camper on 50 without. If I am running between dirt for short time ,say less then 50 miles, I don't necessarily add air unless its hot and I need to have a beer then I have built in excuse.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-14-2022 at 05:44 PM
Industry standard

Means nothing in a remote part of Baja! I have had a tire that wouldn't have been repaired in the US booted, and a tube installed to get me on the road. Finding a matching tire for a 4x4 can be tough south of the border, and I would rather run a booted tire than one that doesn't match.

I was lucky enough to find a tube when I needed it, but now I carry one just in case I need it!

[Edited on 11-15-2022 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
eguillermo
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2022 at 06:18 PM

Thanks for the replies folks! All this information makes me feel better about investing in a new set and taking better care of them -- meaning, really watching the pressure and adjusting for load, and also paying attention if and when they are patched. I honestly don't know the answers RE plugs/patches, though I can say my local mom & pop shop ("Gondez" tire, Mexican of course) did remove the tire from the wheel, which seems to say patch on the inside more than external plug.

I've always ridden a motorcycle with a plug kit, and have used it. Never thought of that for a truck with a spare, but now I'm thinking about it.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 11-14-2022 at 06:58 PM

Only my exp for years now the glue for patches not good . Going back to the old patches. You light with a match it burns the patch on last forever on tubes and tires. We patch the thick 4mil tubes or thin ones. does not last 30 min patch falls off or leaks even with our own good shop glue. Our sxs patched by tire shop will not even make it out of tire shop. Yes we have not had a fail with plug yet . Even with split tire SXS plug worked. Yes not good plug sidewall off road we do it as no choice. Tubeless moto tires good also to plug. Over seas they have a hot press. That burns patch on they never come off .We are trying to make that hot press.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2022 at 07:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Only my exp for years now the glue for patches not good . Going back to the old patches. You light with a match it burns the patch on last forever on tubes and tires. We patch the thick 4mil tubes or thin ones. does not last 30 min patch falls off or leaks even with our own good shop glue. Our sxs patched by tire shop will not even make it out of tire shop. Yes we have not had a fail with plug yet . Even with split tire SXS plug worked. Yes not good plug sidewall off road we do it as no choice. Tubeless moto tires good also to plug. Over seas they have a hot press. That burns patch on they never come off .We are trying to make that hot press.

Interesting information, thanks, Larry. I'm sure you've had your share of tire repairs.

John
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2022 at 07:44 AM

Thanks for the replies folks! All this information makes me feel better about investing in a new set and taking better care of them -- meaning, really watching the pressure and adjusting for load, and also paying attention if and when they are patched. I honestly don't know the answers RE plugs/patches, though I can say my local mom & pop shop ("Gondez" tire, Mexican of course) did remove the tire from the wheel, which seems to say patch on the inside more than external plug.

I've always ridden a motorcycle with a plug kit, and have used it. Never thought of that for a truck with a spare, but now I'm thinking about it.

==
Tires for Baja should be well known brands which are easy to find locally. Here in San Felipe both Cooper and BFG are available with 1 or 2 day delivery.
Yes, I carry a plug kit and have used it many times, It is much easier than using the spare tire. Further if you are prone to getting flats a plug kit is required when you only have one spare tire. Many of us use over sized tires and get that dreaded sidewall puncher and the replacement cost for these big tires is so high we often get a hot patch and the local tire place. This is an internal patch that is hot vulcanized inside the tire. They keep the plugs you put in to get you back to town. Do they work? Answer yes I have driven more that 20000 miles with one of these patches.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 11-15-2022 at 10:30 AM

Tell more about hot patch Paul and where to get it?
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2022 at 04:02 PM

Only certain tire places. I have used 3 in San Felipe
Here are two
1) On the left going to the airport, before you pass the nursery.
My favorite:
2) On the way to town - Turn right at the first street past the gas station on the right at the Glorieta. It is on the right
Best to leave the tire over night so as no to rush the job.

The way it works is they have special patch about ~3" diameter that fits the 110v hot plate. The assembly of patch and hot plate are clamped so as to squeeze them together during the vulcanizing process. Always use a hot patch when the hole is sidewall are close to the belt. The process also works well for a tread patch, but not required unless the hole is big. Yesterday the price was 200 pesos.
eguillermo
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2022 at 10:13 AM

FWIW, my bad luck with tires is continuing in form: ordered 4 from Tire Buyer 8 days ago, 3 were delivered, one apparently lost, emails were sent and then ignored, and I have given up and returned the order.

Back to the drawing board . . .
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-18-2022 at 12:38 PM

FWIW, my bad luck with tires is continuing in form: ordered 4 from Tire Buyer 8 days ago, 3 were delivered, one apparently lost, emails were sent and then ignored, and I have given up and returned the order.

Back to the drawing board . . .

Online purchases are sometimes more work for big/bulky items. Sometimes easier to just go to Costco or discount tire and buy tires at brick/mortar place - if you wait for a sale, prices at brick/mortar place are often same as online purchasing.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2022 at 06:55 PM

The best tires for Baja are the ones that don't go flat. Pick one.
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2022 at 08:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
I have a 1999 F-250 with 382,000 miles and many of those in Baja and other places with a camper. The first 40k I had the factory tires and since then have run BFG AT and 50k is target. Still waiting to have a tire failure of any kind off road. Have picked up some metal a few times NOB and Discount tire has either repaired or in one instance replaced at prorated cost. When in Baja or on any dirt I run the front at 30 PSI and the rear at 35 PSI. Makes for a smooth ride on any surface and I have never had a concern about tires.

YMMV

What psi on the pavement?

55 PSI with camper on 50 without. If I am running between dirt for short time ,say less then 50 miles, I don't necessarily add air unless its hot and I need to have a beer then I have built in excuse.

I have used BF KO 2’s for the last 8 years. I have an F350 crew cab with a heavy Bigfoot camper. These tires have worked well for me. No flats yet.

I run the rears at 75 and the fronts at 65 given the weight of my camper. I air down to 20 on the front and 30 on the rears for soft sand. Great tires. I buy them in Mulege.
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.