Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  9
Author: Subject: JT Rubicon build for camping and the trail
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 11-26-2019 at 05:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Ken, are you doing the EVO lift as a kit or making your own with parts they make? I see you listed a lift but also have the arms listed? Do you know if a 35 will fit the stock spare location under the jeep?

I bought the EVO 4.5" Enforcer Overland kit. But, if you look at their lifts on the Northridge 4x4 site, there are a number of combinations that you are allowed to buy.
I am going to run just the front lower control arms and rear upper control arms to set the caster and pinion, respectively. You can shoehorn a 37 in the stock spare location, although it is better to fit as narrow a tire as possible with regard to your clearance. Interco makes 10.5" x 35" x17s which might be the smart choice as their 35's measure a true 35" in diameter.

[Edited on 11-27-2019 by Ken Cooke]
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2019 at 07:03 PM

Wow, I was thinking 35's so I could keep it under the jeep, but if you can fit a skinny 37, that might change my mind? I did see that EVO has a bunch of options, is anyone doing a long arm kit? I'm just getting up to speed on the Gladiator.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2019 at 08:41 PM

Wow, I was thinking 35's so I could keep it under the jeep, but if you can fit a skinny 37, that might change my mind? I did see that EVO has a bunch of options, is anyone doing a long arm kit? I'm just getting up to speed on the Gladiator.

No long arm systems yet, although they may eventually go into development.
Front coilovers are available, however at a $3,000.00 price tag. The Gladiator, like the JL and the JK all have mid arms. If you examine the EVO lifts, they tend to be the tallest on the market, and they feature geometry correction brackets which function similarly to the long arm, improving the ride and drive.

As for pickups, I don't see people having this much fun in anything other than the Gladiator!

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2019 at 06:32 AM

Seems to me with my lack of research that a Gladiator should have 39s in order to compensate for the extra wheelbase. Put the spare in the bed or on a rack on the back. IMO a spare underneath is asking for critical damage.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2019 at 11:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Seems to me with my lack of research that a Gladiator should have 39s in order to compensate for the extra wheelbase. Put the spare in the bed or on a rack on the back. IMO a spare underneath is asking for critical damage.

That is a very wise assessment of the Gladiator, Paul. :light:

The most trailworthy Gladiators run 40's, but require the Dana 60/80 equivalent from Dynatrac, Dana or Fusion to do so. Price tag = $15,000 including 2.5 ton steering and front/rear axles.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2019 at 01:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Ken, is there anything from Currie Enterprises for the Gladiator, other than axles. Casey raced a Gladiator in the 1000 (I think he won, too?).

John Currie - the name behind the legendary "Johnny Joint" recently introduced the Rockjock Pro Edition Suspension Lift.

source: https://www.fourwheeler.com/news/features/1909-cool-products...
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2019 at 07:07 PM

Links not working for me? I've been very happy with my Currie rock jock 60 and other parts from them, I'll have to checkout the lift kit. I don't think I'll go over 35's for my use, so maybe just a spring and shocks for me, on the Rubicon model? Looking to make it more of a camping rig to tow our Aussie offroad trailer and hopefully some of the Baja runs you guys do? I've run Rubicon and four dice for years and don't see myself doing a lot of that stuff?
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2019 at 10:02 PM

Links not working for me? I've been very happy with my Currie rock jock 60 and other parts from them, I'll have to checkout the lift kit. I don't think I'll go over 35's for my use, so maybe just a spring and shocks for me, on the Rubicon model? Looking to make it more of a camping rig to tow our Aussie offroad trailer and hopefully some of the Baja runs you guys do? I've run Rubicon and four dice for years and don't see myself doing a lot of that stuff?

Maybe a 2" Daystar coil spacer lift is all you would need for added clearance. From the factory, the Rubicon Gladiator was made to run 35" tires without *any* modifications.

[Edited on 11-28-2019 by Ken Cooke]
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2019 at 10:20 PM

What is the factory lift that you can buy, 2 inches? Like you said before the diesel will be heavy in the front, plus winch and bumper( maybe GR aluminum) and I hope to improve the high speed ride over clearance. I think the whole overland /camper/RTT look is taking over everything! I'm just looking for a hard shell to cover the bed and keep everything dry. I don't want something to hang every tool and gas can off of for everyone to see.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2019 at 08:40 AM

What is the factory lift that you can buy, 2 inches?

Reread message #16 for info on the Mopar lift
My build list shows your best, most current options for track bars both front and rear.
Look at the Quadratec catalog for info on tannou covers..

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2019 at 08:58 AM

I see what you said before. I will keep an eye on your build and I follow the Gladiator form, a lot of stuff came from SEMA on there. Some of it not so good, you have to wonder what some of the builder were thinking of. I'm not looking at a tannou cover but a hard shell, I'm sure someone will start making one.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2019 at 03:32 PM

I see what you said before. I will keep an eye on your build and I follow the Gladiator form, a lot of stuff came from SEMA on there. Some of it not so good, you have to wonder what some of the builder were thinking of. I'm not looking at a tannou cover but a hard shell, I'm sure someone will start making one.

4 January - Install Steer Smarts Tie Rod, Drag Link, Trackbar
4 January - Install 4.5" EVO MFG Enforcer suspension w/Fox shocks
8 January - Service 4WD system at dealership - Swaybar Disconnect malfunctioning
8 January - Mount/Balance new 38" Milestar Patagonia MT tires
9 January - Align front end to Steer Smarts specifications

:bounce:

I should be right about level with this guy when we're all finished:!:

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2019 at 03:36 PM
Why I went with EVO MANUFACTURING?

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-31-2019 at 03:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  

4 January - Install Steer Smarts Tie Rod, Drag Link, Trackbar
4 January - Install 4.5" EVO MFG Enforcer suspension w/Fox shocks
8 January - Service 4WD system at dealership - Swaybar Disconnect malfunctioning
8 January - Mount/Balance new 38" Milestar Patagonia MT tires
9 January - Align front end to Steer Smarts specifications

:bounce:

I should be right about level with this guy when we're all finished:!:

Looks like the spare tire fills entire bed of that toy pick-up truck

Interesting that jeeps are so unreliable that you can forecast malfunction occurring on jan 8 :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2019 at 04:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Interesting that jeeps are so unreliable that you can forecast malfunction occurring on jan 8 :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Spare will likely attach to trailer hitch, not inside 5' pickup bed.
Service appointment due to holiday crunch/soonest appointment available.

Alternatives include Currie AntiRock or EVO Air Lock. I'm good with having the dealership look over swaybar disconnect while I'm on vacation.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2019 at 04:35 PM

Feel free to follow me up the bypasses along Berdoo Canyon in mid January MtnGoat.. What? You can't make it?:lol::lol::lol:

I THOUGHT SO:!:

[Edited on 12-31-2019 by Ken Cooke]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-31-2019 at 05:19 PM

I do love the front camera... as you can't always have a spotter when you need it!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2019 at 07:59 PM

Looking good Ken! After driving the one we talked about on 37's I think I'm sold on that as my minimum size. Looking at options for the spare now and hoping some one will come out with a solid camper shell soon. Keep us posted and the pictures coming..
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2020 at 06:58 AM

[/rquote]

MTN Goat crudely touched on an important theme of my build - where to store the spare. I believe this will be my answer although this carrier is only dates for a 35" tire and I will nudge this truck up past the zone of daily driver reliability from a 37" tire to a 38" tire for .5" of better trail clearance. Here is what I am looking at for trail use.

The Hitchgate Solo (High clearance) by WilcoOffroad

Link: https://youtu.be/3GTf071Klb4
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-1-2020 at 08:35 AM

Put the tire on the hood (like land rover)
Put tire on roof (like hillbilly)

My spare on my stock 4wd fits nicely out of the way under the bed :light:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Pages:  1  2    4  ..  9

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.