Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  9
Author: Subject: JT Rubicon build for camping and the trail
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2020 at 06:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
Tow truck took Gladiator in for a professional front end alignment today. Because the rear suspension must be equidistant in terms of height from the ground front to rear, Alignment/Jeep shop will install the rest of the suspension lift. Work should be finished on Friday (4 days @ $700). They will install brake lines (front/rear), set pinion angle, install rear upper control arms, new Tie Rod, steering dampener, everything. Jeep will be ready for everything very, very soon.

You gotta pay for having it done right sometimes. Look forward to seeing the finished product!

John
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-7-2020 at 07:30 PM

I am so happy for you Ken. I know how much you have enjoyed Jeep'n since you traded your Ranger for the Renegade TJ. Now you are going big with a 4-door truck so you will camp in more comfort. I look forward to seeing you driving it on Shell Island!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-7-2020 at 07:53 PM

Tow truck took Gladiator in for...

Jeep less than 1 month old and already needs a tow!
Its a jeep,... so keep the tow truck number on speed dial :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 1-7-2020 at 10:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Tow truck took Gladiator in for...

Jeep less than 1 month old and already needs a tow!
Its a jeep,... so keep the tow truck number on speed dial :lol::lol::lol::lol:

That was taken out of context. Nice try. The drag link could not be adjusted properly, do rather than fight the truck down the road and possibly get into an accident, I did what is responsible and not make a penny-pinching move.

David - Sorry, but that expensive truck won't be anywhere it could get stuck in the ocean. The TJ Rubicon is much lighter and is much less of a financial liability. Thanks but no thanks!!lol
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2020 at 09:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Seriously Ken? Why spend so much then if you don't trust it off road? I am very surprised by your reply. I thought you and Leidys liked it there and you camped there before, too. My truck wasn't cheap, over $33,000 ten years ago. The #1 reason I have 4WD is to camp there, on the island. Well, if you ever want to go again, we will come along if you need the security of a Toyota present. Remember Art, who drove his motorhome on the beach to camp with us? Once he let enough air out of his tires, he was gold for floatation in that tank.

Yes, I understand tire flotation on sand. I have been visiting the Sea of Cortez region since the 90's. Looking beyond the simplistic reasoning, and boastful pride of what x 4x4 vs. y 4x4 can do, if you were to spend 6 months with these modern vehicles, you would understand my hesitation regarding taking $70K worth of 4x4 on an ocean sandbar to camp overnight.

Open the drivers door and shift into reverse (automatic) and read the error screen and watch as the vehicle refuses to budge.

Drive down the street with the steering wheel off center and wait for the vehicles' smart brake system to perceive your going into an uncontrolled spin.

Open the brakeline system and install extensions, allowing a scant amount of air into the brakelines and wait for the error signals and autonomous braking to take place without your input.

Currently, I am receiving an error code explaining that my electronic Swaybar Disconnect System is not available. I think that it is prudent to not take a vehicle running so many electronic systems onto Shell Island. The 3.6l Pentistar engine appears very proven over the past 8 years, but the electronic system is a bit concerning, giving me pause at taking it to Shell Island for a camping trip. My $31,000 Wrangler Rubicon is fun, capable and at a current $10,000 value - not the same level of risk in the event that I cannot tow it from Shell Island. I know that no vehicle is immune from catastrophic failure. Are you, David K?

Back to the thread: The 38x13.5R17" Patagonia MT tires have arrived at WalMart in Corona. The Adams 1350 Solid Driveshaft is currently en route via Fed Ex, arriving TODAY.

One last thing, my Mother bought me the Gladiator to have a reliable vehicle to respond to any medical issues that may take place at a moments notice. My 2003 TJ Rubicon has 197K miles on the odometer, and although it runs just like the day that I bought it, it still has high miles and could have surprise issues like it had with the power steering pump a few years ago. So, I make my decisions based on the other people in my life as well as myself.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2020 at 10:50 AM

Seriously Ken? Why spend so much then if you don't trust it off road? I am very surprised by your reply. I thought you and Leidys liked it there and you camped there before, too. My truck wasn't cheap, over $33,000 ten years ago. The #1 reason I have 4WD is to camp there, on the island. Well, if you ever want to go again, we will come along if you need the security of a Toyota present. Remember Art, who drove his motorhome on the beach to camp with us? Once he let enough air out of his tires, he was gold for floatation in that tank.

Yes, I understand tire flotation on sand. I have been visiting the Sea of Cortez region since the 90's. Looking beyond the simplistic reasoning, and boastful pride of what x 4x4 vs. y 4x4 can do, if you were to spend 6 months with these modern vehicles, you would understand my hesitation regarding taking $70K worth of 4x4 on an ocean sandbar to camp overnight.

Open the drivers door and shift into reverse (automatic) and read the error screen and watch as the vehicle refuses to budge.

Drive down the street with the steering wheel off center and wait for the vehicles' smart brake system to perceive your going into an uncontrolled spin.

Open the brakeline system and install extensions, allowing a scant amount of air into the brakelines and wait for the error signals and autonomous braking to take place without your input.

Currently, I am receiving an error code explaining that my electronic Swaybar Disconnect System is not available. I think that it is prudent to not take a vehicle running so many electronic systems onto Shell Island. The 3.6l Pentistar engine appears very proven over the past 8 years, but the electronic system is a bit concerning, giving me pause at taking it to Shell Island for a camping trip. My $31,000 Wrangler Rubicon is fun, capable and at a current $10,000 value - not the same level of risk in the event that I cannot tow it from Shell Island. I know that no vehicle is immune from catastrophic failure. Are you, David K?

Back to the thread: The 38x13.5R17" Patagonia MT tires have arrived at WalMart in Corona. The Adams 1350 Solid Driveshaft is currently en route via Fed Ex, arriving TODAY.

One last thing, my Mother bought me the Gladiator to have a reliable vehicle to respond to any medical issues that may take place at a moments notice. My 2003 TJ Rubicon has 197K miles on the odometer, and although it runs just like the day that I bought it, it still has high miles and could have surprise issues like it had with the power steering pump a few years ago. So, I make my decisions based on the other people in my life as well as myself.

So, you spent $70k on an “offroad” jeep, but you dont trust its reliability enough to take it offroad. Nice mall crawler!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 1-8-2020 at 12:45 PM

Ken good thing you're a big fit kid......no way would I be able to hoist my mom up into a lifted Gladiator!:o
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2020 at 01:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
Ken good thing you're a big fit kid......no way would I be able to hoist my mom up into a lifted Gladiator!:o

At least her wallet is $70K lighter.

John
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2020 at 03:42 PM

Back to the thread..

This morning, the Jeep appears to be 3/4 completed and will be a massive 4x4 when it is finished. I am looking forward to the desert run it will go on later this month with a few other Gladiators and 30 or so Jeeps and Toyotas. Afterwards, I stopped by my friend Bobby's house and he drove me to the WalMart Super Center to pick up my 4 new tires, loaded them in his long bed Super Duty truck and brought them home for me. Real nice guy.

As you can tell, these tires will provide a good amount of clearance when on the trails (and shopping malls :lol: ).

For comparison, that is a 35" tire next to the Patagonia MT that Bobby is holding up.

Tire specifications listed on the shipping tag - these came direct off of the ship from Indonesia earlier this week.

Next will be mount and balance of tires/wheels.

Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2020 at 04:27 PM

Ken, I don't advocate you take it anywhere until the bugs are figured out. If there is a failure already in the swaybar disconnect, it goes back to the dealer for free repair... or are your mods voiding the warranty? I am so so sorry for the stress you are having.

Who drives on a sandbar? As you can see by the photos, we drive and camp above the high tide line. Only when crossing the mud flats may there be water during lunar high tides and that is only a few inches deep. Anyway, I was just hoping to be with you when you actually use the 4WD and the lockers... Mission Santa María perhaps?

I am sorry the Jeep is already giving you problems. I was hoping it would be different for you than Jeeps have been to me and others who owned them before... once! Seriously, my dad's Wagoneer was great and my wife's CJ-5 was, too. Those were both made in the 60s and 70s.

I drive my Jeeps and Ford Superduty's below the high tide line regularly. Not a problem if you know what you are doing. Much easier on the drivetrain than the dry sand is.

Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2020 at 04:29 PM

By the way- Nice Gladiator. Once you get it finished I am sure it will be an awesome Baja cruiser. Ignore the negativity from those who badmouth things they cant afford.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2020 at 04:32 PM

I am sorry the Jeep is already giving you problems.

Don't sound like problems, just what happens when you take a newly introduced and bone stock vehicle and execute massive upgrades all at once. Sometimes stuff just doesn't go together as dreamed, and it's time for some professional help.

At least the man knows when it's time to get some help, rather than screwing something up and then bringing it to a pro as a hashed up basket case.

John

[Edited on 1-8-2020 by John Harper]
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2020 at 06:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  
Ken, I don't advocate you take it anywhere until the bugs are figured out. If there is a failure already in the swaybar disconnect, it goes back to the dealer for free repair... or are your mods voiding the warranty? I am so so sorry for the stress you are having.

Who drives on a sandbar? As you can see by the photos, we drive and camp above the high tide line. Only when crossing the mud flats may there be water during lunar high tides and that is only a few inches deep. Anyway, I was just hoping to be with you when you actually use the 4WD and the lockers... Mission Santa María perhaps?

I am sorry the Jeep is already giving you problems. I was hoping it would be different for you than Jeeps have been to me and others who owned them before... once! Seriously, my dad's Wagoneer was great and my wife's CJ-5 was, too. Those were both made in the 60s and 70s.

I drive my Jeeps and Ford Superduty's below the high tide line regularly. Not a problem if you know what you are doing. Much easier on the drivetrain than the dry sand is.

February 2019 - on the road to Mission Santa Maria one day after a driving rain storm.

Cantamar Dunes July 2018 - I don't like driving alone on the dunes, but I kept it real tame since calling a Grua or 4x4 Tow Truck can cost $$$.

Airing up tires beside the free road in Cantamar was a dumb idea. Driving a high speeds with inadequate amount of air in tires is more dumb.

Breaking through the crust can be fun!:bounce:

After this happened, I decided to always stay at a safe distance from stagnant bodies of water, away from low time marks, away from areas with hatching wildlife and anywhere a bad stuck can happen.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2020 at 06:45 PM

The last part of the puzzle has arrived today. Northridge 4x4 was able to put a trace on this part ordered on 12/7/19 and it was delivered in 2 days from Nevada. Depending on the shock absorber (or coilover), the amount of suspension droop may cause the front driveshaft to over extend, leaving the front axle's differential inoperable. Here is the 1350 Adams solid Heavy Duty drive shaft that is 100% business. I am looking forward to hooking this unit up to my Gladiator for trouble-free mall parking and jaunts to the coffee shop.:!:

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2020 at 09:28 PM

Ken,
Sounds like your mom bought you a lemon! Next time ask your mom to Not be a cheap skate, tell her to buy you a ford or toyota.
And if you want reliability, then tell your mom to not do all the lift and suspension/drive train mods.

Woke!

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2020 at 10:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Ken,
Sounds like your mom bought you a lemon! Next time ask your mom to Not be a cheap skate, tell her to buy you a ford or toyota.
And if you want reliability, then tell your mom to not do all the lift and suspension/drive train mods.

A lemon would have multiple equipment failures. Mine has 1 error code related to not being able to disconnect the swaybar when off-road. A dealership scanning tool is likely going to provide the remedy for this error. However, I will be installing a computer tune unit myself that may allow for this error code to be cleared. If the problem is hardware and not software-related, the dealership can step in and replace the antiswaybar disconnect system under warranty.

As for the suspension/drive train modifications, the EVOLUTION coil springs and FOX monotube shocks will not affect the FMVSS anti-roll system, nor will it void the vehicles warranty per Magnuson Moss Warranty Act 1975 [https://consumer.findlaw.com/consumer-transactions/warranty-laws-and-the-magnuson-moss-warranty-act-.html] Thank you for your concern.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2020 at 10:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  

Mom is unable to get into the Gladiator stock, but she has a nice sedan that is easy for her to drive. My big issue will be loading the Dometic fridge atop the rear seat.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2020 at 10:51 PM

David,
My Gladiator has 1 error code that will likely be cleared at the dealership. It is premature to conclude that this error cannot be erased from the on-board system. My Tazer JL Mini will likely clear the error code, so that I can test the functionality of this disconnect system. If it doesn't allow for the swaybar to disconnect, then the dealership will step in and either 1. clear the error code, effectively fixing the problem, or 2. remove and replace the hardware swaybar disconnect system.

What was wrong with the Cherokee Wagoneer that your Dad bought you? I thought that Elizabeth's CJ-5 was rolled on the freeway, but was otherwise daily driven?
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2020 at 10:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
I am sorry the Jeep is already giving you problems.

Don't sound like problems, just what happens when you take a newly introduced and bone stock vehicle and execute massive upgrades all at once. Sometimes stuff just doesn't go together as dreamed, and it's time for some professional help.

At least the man knows when it's time to get some help, rather than screwing something up and then bringing it to a pro as a hashed up basket case.

John

[Edited on 1-8-2020 by John Harper]

The swaybar disconnect errors started about 1 month ago. The upgrades began on Saturday. The JL Wrangler and Gladiator were engineered to be user modified. From a bypass for the Front Axle Disconnect (FAD), to a dealership reflash of the speedometer computer system, to the position of the headlight adjusters opposite both ends of the radiator.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2020 at 10:45 AM

My 1975.5 Cherokee Chief was amazing when it wasn't in the shop with endless warranty failures followed by more failures after the 12,000 mile warranty expired with the transmission being the big one (GM Turbo 400).

I still love Jeep, a history thing, but would never risk buying one especially after such fantastic service from my Tacomas the past 20 years. God bless Neal Johns for so strongly recommending I get one back in 2000 (instead of a Ranger).

I wish you well but I do hope you will trust it enough to take it off road and go to all the places I go in my near-stock Tacoma, and more!

My Dad's '82 Full size Cherokee took us to Oklahoma, Tennessee and Arkansas pulling a trailer round trip without issue David K. So, my recollection of the Cherokee is different from yours. Your family was indeed sold a pile of junk!
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  9

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.