Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  9
Author: Subject: JT Rubicon build for camping and the trail
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 1-9-2020 at 10:48 AM

Good to see someone having fun with what they like to do ..

Really liked your last picture

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 1-9-2020 at 01:51 PM
Steering mystery solved!

In haste, I ordered my Steer Smarts products without consulting customer service. I $paid$ dearly. I ordered the WRONG steering dampener and the WRONG TIE ROD - both products for a narrower track width. NO WONDER THE JEEP WOULDN'T TURN ALL THE WAY. These parts cost me money and I will try to make up on eBay since the tie rod is out of the box and was test fit several times.

Back to the thread..
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-9-2020 at 02:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
My 1975.5 Cherokee Chief was amazing when it wasn't in the shop with endless warranty failures followed by more failures after the 12,000 mile warranty expired with the transmission being the big one (GM Turbo 400).

I still love Jeep, a history thing, but would never risk buying one especially after such fantastic service from my Tacomas the past 20 years. God bless Neal Johns for so strongly recommending I get one back in 2000 (instead of a Ranger).

I wish you well but I do hope you will trust it enough to take it off road and go to all the places I go in my near-stock Tacoma, and more!

My Dad's '82 Full size Cherokee took us to Oklahoma, Tennessee and Arkansas pulling a trailer round trip without issue David K. So, my recollection of the Cherokee is different from yours. Your family was indeed sold a pile of junk!

Just good old AMC Jeep stuff... with a GM transmission. The Kaiser Jeep was great (1965 Wagoneer), however. 1975 Lemon... but it wasn't just me... Jeep (and other American brands) became famous for low quality products, (JEEP=Just Empty Every Pocket). Maybe not the Wranglers and CJs so much? Sold the Jeep after two years and bought a new 4WD Subaru Wagon... wow, what a difference... no more stupid fails! Going from 10 mpg to 25 mpg wasn't bad, either! Yes, a smaller wagon and less power, but that didn't stop me from going everywhere I wanted!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2020 at 02:55 PM

Just good old AMC Jeep stuff... with a GM transmission. The Kaiser Jeep was great (1965 Wagoneer), however. 1975 Lemon... but it wasn't just me... Jeep (and other American brands) became famous for low quality products, (JEEP=Just Empty Every Pocket). Maybe not the Wranglers and CJs so much? Sold the Jeep after two years and bought a new 4WD Subaru Wagon... wow, what a difference... no more stupid fails! Going from 10 mpg to 25 mpg wasn't bad, either! Yes, a smaller wagon and less power, but that didn't stop me from going everywhere I wanted!

I saw a Subaru wagon high-centered on the road into Guadalupe Canyon. The family frantically trying to shovel dirt/sand out from under it's unibody chassis as it's 14" tires struggled for any AWD traction. So, why didn't you buy a Subaru wagon in 2010?

[Edited on 1-9-2020 by Ken Cooke]
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2020 at 03:55 PM

Ken, my Subaru had 13" wheels, and real 4WD not AWD. My primary use was in sand and so I didn't miss low range (it didn't have). It was super in sand and I went to Shell Island many times from 1978 and on.
I traded it for the bigger 1980 wagon and again for a 1987 wagon, now with low range and a bigger 1.8 liter engine, but still 13" tires.
When Subaru went from 4WD to AWD, and no low range, they lost me.

Fast forward to 2000, and for my work and more Baja exploring, I wanted a truck with over 9" of stock ground clearance. My 2001 Tacoma was so amazing, reliable, and trouble-free, I can't think of another brand I would rather have. I went from a 2-door to a 4-door in 2005 and to my current truck in 2010. It is my last new vehicle and I am so pleased with it.

13" wheels, "super in sand", "bigger 1.8l engine".. all sounds craptastic in dirt terminology. The Tacoma is made for a smaller driver with the windshield and rake just inches from your face. Not much breakover (4 door/long bed that I observed in July at a friend's house), and cheap plastic dashboard and down market infotainment. Drum brakes out back make it less expensive to service in the far East. You should seriously look at the Sport model Gladiator and you might be impressed.

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2020 at 04:20 PM

Yeah David maybe you can get mommy to buy you one:lol:. You guys are funny!
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2020 at 04:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
Ken, my Subaru had 13" wheels, and real 4WD not AWD. My primary use was in sand and so I didn't miss low range (it didn't have). It was super in sand and I went to Shell Island many times from 1978 and on.
I traded it for the bigger 1980 wagon and again for a 1987 wagon, now with low range and a bigger 1.8 liter engine, but still 13" tires.
When Subaru went from 4WD to AWD, and no low range, they lost me.

Fast forward to 2000, and for my work and more Baja exploring, I wanted a truck with over 9" of stock ground clearance. My 2001 Tacoma was so amazing, reliable, and trouble-free, I can't think of another brand I would rather have. I went from a 2-door to a 4-door in 2005 and to my current truck in 2010. It is my last new vehicle and I am so pleased with it.

13" wheels, "super in sand", "bigger 1.8l engine".. all sounds craptastic in dirt terminology. The Tacoma is made for a smaller driver with the windshield and rake just inches from your face. Not much breakover (4 door/long bed that I observed in July at a friend's house), and cheap plastic dashboard and down market infotainment. Drum brakes out back make it less expensive to service in the far East. You should seriously look at the Sport model Gladiator and you might be impressed.

This is getting hilarious! "craptastic"....
I couldn't have summed it up any better
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2020 at 04:27 PM

Seriously, why would I trade a perfect, trouble free, paid off truck (with a locker and A-TRAC) for anything less and with what money? I don't sell that many books, lol!

This 10 year old vehicle is your last new vehicle... ever?
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2020 at 06:52 PM

If you want to lease, get a new vehicle. If you want to buy, get one 3-4 years old, why take the huge hit on early depreciation?

Or, get mom to buy you a new Gladiator!!!!

John

[Edited on 1-10-2020 by John Harper]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-9-2020 at 06:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  
Seriously, why would I trade a perfect, trouble free, paid off truck (with a locker and A-TRAC) for anything less and with what money? I don't sell that many books, lol!

This 10 year old vehicle is your last new vehicle... ever?

Yep... I think so... I am pretty much retired from my 40 years in the irrigation business. Just writing for Baja Bound, selling a few Baja books, and guiding TV show crews to Baja. Not what you call a steady income and social security can't cover any car payment. :wow::coolup:

CA min wage is now $12/hr. Lots of jobs out there right now. Most pay more than min wage.

Follow your passion in looking for a job. Why dont you go apply for a job at your local toyota dealer and sell toyotas to jeep owners? Sounds like ken’s mom will very soon be needing to buy ken a reliable car, she could be your first sale!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2020 at 10:38 PM

Today, Bobby dropped me off at Dave's Alignment in Riverside where the lift was completed and the front end aligned.

As it turned out, my Gladiator with stock wheels/tires and 4.5" (over rear axle) and almost 6" (over front axle) is taller on 33" stock tires than Bobby's JK Unlimited Rubicon with 37" BFGoodrich KM2s.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2020 at 10:49 PM

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2020 at 08:46 AM

Hurry and put the big tires on it! Post photos. Seeing it lifted with the little tires just looks WRONG! (lol)!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2020 at 03:56 PM

I'm very happy with my 2004 Tacoma and my 2006 4 Runner. I don't think I would buy a new vehicle with so many good used ones on the market. It'll be a long time for me either way. But I must say I do like the feel and smell of a new vehicle but the price is out of sight.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2020 at 04:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
I'm very happy with my 2004 Tacoma and my 2006 4 Runner. I don't think I would buy a new vehicle with so many good used ones on the market. It'll be a long time for me either way. But I must say I do like the feel and smell of a new vehicle but the price is out of sight.

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2020 at 05:49 PM

Why are you yota "fan boys" derailing this thread? Beat it!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-11-2020 at 07:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  

I have been tempted to jump in a couple of times, but it would have had nothing to do with Ken's build, so I pried my finger off the reply button!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2020 at 07:51 PM

I'm a jeep guy to the core, bought my first a 42 Willys jeep at 12 for a $1000! Took me a year of cutting lawns to pay for it, but if I wasn't in a jeep I would be a Toyota guy, just saying...
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2020 at 10:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  

In the Jeep world, we call it "Jeep-envy.":lol:

Bumper install took a few hours. The Blazer bluetooth controller will involve utilizing my phone as its' controller. I am looking forward to testing the 14" JW Speaker light bar.

Here is a lift and tire photo while the rest upload on Imgur

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2020 at 10:46 PM
Climb in, jump out!

This Jeep is going to need steps, because you now have to climb in and jump out!

Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  9

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.