Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  7    9
Author: Subject: JT Rubicon build for camping and the trail
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-17-2020 at 07:07 AM

For me I like that set up Ken . At 12 years old I hated sleeping in tents. That was boy scouts remember pole line trip I had removed rear seat . In my Nissan double cab front seats folded flat. made comfortable bed for two looking forward to Baja Run . To check out your amazing jeep Ken I have many new routes to take you on.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 9-17-2020 at 04:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
The only issue I see with the Upper Decker is the same as with any regular camper shell.

And, if you're going to remove the truck top tent and store it, how much time are you really saving versus the 15 minutes to set up your regular tent? How much space does that take up to store, versus a tent and mattresses? Also, how heavy is that truck tent when putting it back on? I see it's listed as weighing 154 pounds? And, do you also have to buy a rack for your truck to mount it?

I'm looking forward to a report on how this new configuration works out. Good luck!

John
[Edited on 9-17-2020 by John Harper]

After camping with four wheelers with roof top tents, I always asked myself why I put up with so much unnecessary work. I don't like my gear always covered in dust from the trail. Rain would be much more bothersome. Air mattresses lose inflation in the middle of the night - no matter how new they are. With all of the work that I do, I feel as if I deserve something better.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2020 at 04:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
Air mattresses lose inflation in the middle of the night - no matter how new they are.

Not true. My Klymit pad is at least 5 years old, used mostly on backpacking trips and some car camping, at least 150 days over 5 years. Never has leaked. And it was only about $90.

My suggestion for car camping is a good thick Thermarest style pad, more of a hybrid (self inflating) than an true inflatable. Mucho mas mejor.

I'm a high school teacher. You're not the only one who has a tough job.

John

[Edited on 9-18-2020 by John Harper]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-17-2020 at 06:27 PM

The only issue I see with the Upper Decker is the same as with any regular camper shell.

And, if you're going to remove the truck top tent and store it, how much time are you really saving versus the 15 minutes to set up your regular tent? How much space does that take up to store, versus a tent and mattresses? Also, how heavy is that truck tent when putting it back on? I see it's listed as weighing 154 pounds? And, do you also have to buy a rack for your truck to mount it?

I'm looking forward to a report on how this new configuration works out. Good luck!

John
[Edited on 9-17-2020 by John Harper]

After camping with four wheelers with roof top tents, I always asked myself why I put up with so much unnecessary work. I don't like my gear always covered in dust from the trail. Rain would be much more bothersome. Air mattresses lose inflation in the middle of the night - no matter how new they are. With all of the work that I do, I feel as if I deserve something better.

Toys are fun. Buy whatever floats your boat!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 9-17-2020 at 07:31 PM

Air mattresses lose inflation in the middle of the night - no matter how new they are.

I've never sprung a leak...im obviously not doing something right!

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2020 at 08:16 PM
Don't just take my word..listen to what Kevin has to say

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2020 at 08:35 PM

Ken,
Why do you post a flash plug in?
Flash is over and done, can’t even see what you posted on an iPad.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2020 at 09:11 PM

That is a cool tent. If i didn't already have a camper shell, I'd consider that. Thanks for the video link!
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2020 at 10:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  

I've never sprung a leak...im obviously not doing something right!

I often leak in the middle of the night, but it doesn't smell like mattress air.

John

[Edited on 9-18-2020 by John Harper]
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2020 at 10:02 PM
Peer pressure - now, I'm considering a lifted camp trailer!

This plane knows cool Jeeps from 1,500 feet!

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2020 at 10:25 AM

Sounds to me like this might solve your major issue about camping, an easy to set up tent.

https://thedoublecheck.co/easiest-tents-to-set-up/

Buy a couple nice cots, a couple nice Thermarest mattresses too.

Done, done, and done. Maybe $800 tops for all and it stores in the garage quite easily.

That's far less than the $3000+ truck tent, or the $10,000+ trailer. Save your money for something more practical. You can't possibly camp out more often than I do.

You can also sleep "under the stars" and ditch the tent at times with a modular/flexible system (neither of the other systems can do that). Try it some time, you'll probably love it. Nothing but the expanse of the universe above you. It's awesome.

John

[Edited on 9-22-2020 by John Harper]
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2020 at 08:48 PM

A cot? Really?? What happens when the wife gets cold at night? I know.. Grab the electric blanket!
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2020 at 04:42 PM

New (hidden) parts :bounce:

Most of the time, its the parts that you don't see that are better than ones you can see.

- DeeZee pickup bed liner
- K&N Cabin Air Filter (rechargeable 10 yrs/1,000,000 miles)
- Ice Caps (black) lug nut covers

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To answer the question - "Why does your truck need 38" tires?"

Before:

After (same rock/different angle):
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2020 at 05:03 PM

New (hidden) parts :bounce:

Most of the time, its the parts that you don't see that are better than ones you can see.

- DeeZee pickup bed liner
- K&N Cabin Air Filter (rechargeable 10 yrs/1,000,000 miles)
- Ice Caps (black) lug nut covers

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before:

After (same rock/different angle):

It looks like there is plenty of space and smooth ground to drive around that rock. I have found that my truck experiences less wear/tear when I drive around the rock instead of over the rock :light:

P.s. both times your truck got stuck on top of the rock? Wassup with that?

Woke!

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2020 at 05:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

It looks like there is plenty of space and smooth ground to drive around that rock. I have found that my truck experiences less wear/tear when I drive around the rock instead of over the rock :light:

P.s. both times your truck got stuck on top of the rock? Wassup with that?

Three angles that come up frequently in terms of performance are;

- approach
- departure
- breakover angle

The longer the wheelbase, the greater the breakover angle. Down-spacing of ones suspension, and supplanting OEM 33" for aftermarket 38" (soon 39.5") tires lessen one's breakover angle making passage over said rocks an afterthought.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2020 at 10:41 AM

A cot? Really?? What happens when the wife gets cold at night? I know.. Grab the electric blanket!

They do make two person cots and pads. Try it, you might like it.

https://kamprite.com/shop/sleep/cots/kamp-rite-double-kwik-c...

John

[Edited on 10-13-2020 by John Harper]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2020 at 11:37 AM

John

For car camping with tent, Get a queen size air bed. They come with 12v air pump to inflate or deflate.
For sleeping under the stars, get one of the good thermarest pads (more like a matteess than a pad)

Woke!

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2020 at 11:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

John

For car camping with tent, Get a queen size air bed. They come with 12v air pump to inflate or deflate.
For sleeping under the stars, get one of the good thermarest pads (more like a matteess than a pad)

He says "all air mattresses leak at night" no matter how old. That's why I suggested a plush Thermarest. It sounds like he can afford it.

And, sleeping off the ground is much easier if you can do it. Backpacking, of course you're gonna be on the ground. But car camping? No reason.

John

Pages:  1  ..  7    9

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.