Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Best port of entry when declaring
bajafreaks
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days !!!

[*] posted on 11-19-2019 at 07:14 PM
Best port of entry when declaring

Is there a better port of entry when you are declaring ?
Bringing down an atv, bbq, light fixtures, and some misc. household stuff, hauling all in my truck, no trailer nothing too crazy. Just wondering if one port is easier/quicker than others. Either San Ysidro, Otay, or Tecate are my choices.
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2019 at 07:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajafreaks  
Is there a better port of entry when you are declaring ?
Bringing down an atv, bbq, light fixtures, and some misc. household stuff, hauling all in my truck, no trailer nothing too crazy. Just wondering if one port is easier/quicker than others. Either San Ysidro, Otay, or Tecate are my choices.

I have declared items at all three ports of entry over the years. No real difference between Tecate and San Ysidro. Both are quick and easy. Otay tends to be more thorough.

Now for the big question. What is the total value of what you are declaring?

San Ysidro and probably Tecate are set up for what is called the "simplified declaration" process. You pay 16% of your declared value. The maximum declaration per vehicle is only $1500 US per person and that are traveling in the same vehicle. One person = $1,500. Two people = $3,000 , etc, maximum declaration. Above this limit and they may send you to Otay.

We declare items every year and usually enter thru San Ysidro.

Tecate seems more lenient on verifying the actual value of a declared item. (Receipt or other basis for the declared value that is actually less than the true market value of the item)

We have been sent to Otay twice over the years. Once from San Ysidro and once from Tecate. Another time we just went to Otay voluntarily because we knew we were well over the limits. We had no problems at Otay, they are just professional and thorough.
bajafreaks
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2019 at 08:08 PM

Good question, we (2 people) are declaring just under 3k for that very reason. Combination of actual receipts for the new items and itemized list of other stuff with garage sale values.
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2019 at 08:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajafreaks  
Good question, we (2 people) are declaring just under 3k for that very reason. Combination of actual receipts for the new items and itemized list of other stuff with garage sale values.

Sounds like a good plan.

I would opt for San Ysidro. Huge, shaded, parking area with Customs office, bank, and ATM all inside the same building. If you need FMM's, they are in the same building, too.

If you prefer Hwy 3 vs Hwy 1, then go to Tecate.

Otay would be a distant third choice.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2019 at 01:09 AM

In TJ, they really give you a hard time if you have big plants, dirt, wood or an engine.

If you are lucky and they see big plants or dirt, they will just confiscate it. If you are unlucky, they send you back to the US to get rid of it.

The engine got us sent to Otay because they are the only official port of entry (so TJ said) for declared goods.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2019 at 02:20 AM

Went through Mexicali west in June and it was very simple. Pulled into the lot on the left and the young lady come out to greet us before we made into the building. She asked if we were there for a permit (FMM), or to declare. We advised her of our need to declare, so she grabbed a clipboard and met us at the truck. I handed her a handful of various receipts from Home Depot, Lamps Plus, Copper Sinks Online, etc. Instead of cherry picking through the cargo and matching it to the receipts, she just pulled certain receipts and asked to see that box. Seemed backwards to me, but we were paid up and out of there in about 20 minutes. Other than the use of her personal cell phone as an official calculator, they seemed professional. I'll be taking another load down next month along with a large boat. Fingers crossed it goes as well.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2019 at 06:52 AM

i have found Tecate to be somewhat more casual.
bajafreaks
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2019 at 08:04 AM

Sounds like it all depends on what you bring and the people you have to deal with at any port on any particular day...gee sounds like Mexico to me. I'm coming down through San Diego (home is Northern Nevada) so I guess I'll go San Ysidro. How far away is Mexicali West as parrot mentioned ?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-20-2019 at 08:31 AM

I am in Nevada County (right over the hill from Reno) and I prefer to head east and then south to Mexicalli! I-5 may be efficient, but I would rather have more wide open spaces and less mega-traffic patterns!

If I was in Gardnerville, there would have to be a compelling reason for me to go out of my way to deal with CA traffic, and the fuel is some of the most expensive in the nation now!

I have never had anything to declare, so I have no recommendation on Mexicalli customs. I would talk more about route planning through Nevada, but Pacific Gas and Electric is getting ready to shut my power off any time now, so I may not be online for a while.

Edit; For some reason, I had it in my head that you were up near Winnimuca, so getting to highway 95 would be way out of the way for you.

[Edited on 11-20-2019 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-20-2019 at 08:48 AM

We make the trip twice a year. Straight down 395 to the I-15, then the I-15 south. Puts you in a position to cross at Tecate, Otay or San Ysidro. Tecate is more laid back, customs wise. At San Ysidro, we sometimes get the x-ray which means unloading the dog and cat

Headed south we overnight in Temecula and hit Trader Joe's & Winco for specific items, then gas up at the COSTCO. Northbound we overnight in Ridgecrest which is half way from the border to Carson City.

Always travel on a Tuesday-Thursday to avoid the Las Vegas and Mammoth traffic
bajafreaks
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2019 at 08:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I am in Nevada County (right over the hill from Reno) and I prefer to head east and then south to Mexicalli! I-5 may be efficient, but I would rather have more wide open spaces and less mega-traffic patterns!

If I was in Gardnerville, there would have to be a compelling reason for me to go out of my way to deal with CA traffic, and the fuel is some of the most expensive in the nation now!

I have never had anything to declare, so I have no recommendation on Mexicalli customs. I would talk more about route planning through Nevada, but Pacific Gas and Electric is getting ready to shut my power off any time now, so I may not be online for a while.

We are actually leaving the day after Christmas so yes I'm concerned about traffic its probably going to be busy whatever route I choose.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2019 at 09:15 AM

Bajafreaks, I hope you caught my edit...I was confused about where Garnerville is. I have driven the route Bajaguy recommends, and it is my favorite, unless there is snow on the ground or in the forecast! Somewhere along the way, I head more to the east toward Mexicalli, and vary the route to satisfy my curiosity.

Also, my choice for crossing at Mexicalli is because I stay on the Mex 5 side until I get to Hwy 1.

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
bajafreaks
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2019 at 10:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Bajafreaks, I hope you caught my edit...I was confused about where Garnerville is. I have driven the route Bajaguy recommends, and it is my favorite, unless there is snow on the ground or in the forecast! Somewhere along the way, I head more to the east toward Mexicalli, and vary the route to satisfy my curiosity.

Also, my choice for crossing at Mexicalli is because I stay on the Mex 5 side until I get to Hwy 1.

I got it and thanks for your input.
greta-inbaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2019 at 07:10 PM

We drove down 395 from Reno Nov 1. We went through Mexicali. Midday. In our van we had a new BBQ, a bunch of household stuff and bunch of power tools. We went to the declare line. The only thing we had a receipt for was the BBQ since it was new and a still in the box. They just assign a value to used stuff, in our experience the assigned value is usually super low.
In the declare line in front of us were Rvs and trucks pulling trailers . While we were in line a guy came up to us, peered in the back of the van, asked what we had, he then took us out of line and to the inspection area. Another guy crawled around inside, asked for the receipt for the bbq, then told us we were OK, we didnt have to pay anything.. He also waved us to the shady area to park since we had our dog with us and still had to get our visa stamped. It was easy and painless.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2019 at 07:34 PM

Good info Greta! Did you use the west (downtown) crossing, or the east side?

bajafreaks
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2019 at 08:43 PM

I guess I need to definitely add Mexicali to the list...
greta-inbaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2019 at 08:16 AM

We crossed at the west crossing. Our friends all crossed at the east crossing , said it was easier, all got x-rayed.
Sometimes I think its all the luck of the draw. Some recommend Tecate..... Ya, last spring it took us almost 3 hrs to cross north.
But... we have had good experiences going through Mexicali. Our bigger goal is avoiding I-5 and the Southern California traffic. 395 is one of our favorite roads to drive. It’s pretty, with some goo music playing it is very relaxing way to spend the day driving.
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 11-23-2019 at 07:43 AM

Declare???? My brother did that once.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
bajafreaks
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2019 at 07:53 AM

Was planning on going Mexicali west but have read a few recent reports that east is better since there's construction going on and the west entrance is a mess ? I also got my FMM ahead of time the application asks for port of entry which I entered Mex.West but I don't see it listed anywhere on the FMM so I'm assuming it doesn't matter where I enter ?
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2019 at 04:01 PM

Mexicali West does have some construction, but it's totally doable.

Are you declaring the ATV? I have a few down in Baja and just keep them registered in the states. Just make sure you have your title or registration (or both) with you so they can check the VIN.

Good luck!

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.