Pages:  1  2    4    6
Author: Subject: New Tesla Pickup Truck
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 11-26-2019 at 08:23 PM
LOVE ?

WTF ? A Truck is a Tool.

The best one is the one that does its job efficiently and reliably at the least cost.

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 11-26-2019 at 08:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

This thread is about Tesla. Why you polluting the thread talking about K Cars?

Weren't you talking about your 4cyl F150's duty cycle a few posts back? The Tesla doesn't look practical for Baja. Sorry, but more R & D needs to go into real backcountry use before it hits the market. I'm all for advanced, non-IC off-roading, but the buying public will have to see it's off-road chops before considering it for far off environs like Shell Island, Gonzaga Bay without significant electrical grid support.

[Edited on 11-25-2019 by Ken Cooke]
Ken the old baja blow hard Mt just talks the dummy does not even own a truck .:bounce: He has a f150 mall go machine.: bounce:
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 11-26-2019 at 08:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
There are currently Tesla chargers down the peninsula, many are 18kWh:
- Tijuana and Ensenada
- Marina San Felipe Resort
- Mision Santa Maria
- Mision Cataviña
- Hotel Terrasal Guerrero Negro
- Hotel La Huerta San Ignacio
- Hotel Cuesta Real Mulege
- Hotel Plaza Loreto
- Villa del Palmar at The Islands of Loreto
- Hotel Doce Ballenas Ciudad Insurgentes :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce: useless in :bounce:baja:bounce:
- María de Nadie Hotel Boutique Cd Constitución
- La Paz
- Los Cabos
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 11-26-2019 at 10:40 PM

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2019 at 10:45 PM

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 11-27-2019 at 06:36 AM

Imagine a gradual transition to "electric" in transportation where practical.

Saw where in India they are marketing electric cars for $4,000,00 USD or 285,496 Rupe's, not much on size or range but a viable means to reduce the terrible air pollution they have in small steps.

Guess that's why I'm a bit slow on seeing the benifits of having a few billion people here in the Continental United States of America.

Sure they'll fit ... but, appears there may a few downsides IMO

I'll never see it ... but, just saying :):)

[Edited on 11-27-2019 by wessongroup]
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2019 at 09:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  

Rivian R1T
Wheelbase = 135.8"
Track = 67.3"
Breakover angle = 25 deg.
Length = 217.1"
Width = 78"
source: https://rivian.com/r1t/

Wrangler JLUnlimited

Length = 184.2"
Width = 73.7"
Wheelbase = 118.4"

The Rivian just doesn't have the optimal wheelbase that it will need considering the small tires and lack of mid-section (breakover) clearance. The proof is right there in the numbers.

[Edited on 11-26-2019 by Ken Cooke]

see Ken, thats where I got confused, I thought we were looking at pick-up trucks.
Lets compare apples to apples OK?

Jeep Gladiator
length - 218 inches - yup a whopping 0.9 inches longer!
Width 73.8 a few inches thinner - less room less stable - but you can fit it through tight squeezes!
wheelbase. 137 - 1.5 inches longer
Breakover Angle 18.4deg. so that's significantly better than the 25 deg. that the Rivian has - right?

towing capacity - (you probably don't want to go there Ken)

You don't have to like the rivian - not for everyone - and you can be A jeep enthusiast all you want - but lets be honest in the comparison - OK?

As a great man once said " the proof is right there in the numbers! "
right Ken?

Jeep gladiator is like miata, not made for tall people, made for short people market - No leg room, Chicks car.

And gladiator is not a pickup. Is a mid-size suv missing roof and hatchback from cargo area.

My 6'4" friend wanted to sit in the driver's seat, and he couldn't believe the leg room vs. the TJ he recently sold. The Tacoma is much more cramped with the angled windshield not far from your face.

As for being a, "Chicks car" my wife wanted me to purchase a 4 door Unlimited Rubicon. I wanted a 2500 Ram Power Wagon. The Gladiator is a combination of the two - essentially as an Unlimited Rubicon to the back seats and a Ram 1500 from the 5' box to the bumper.

I have nothing against the Rivian - if I needed a more urban commuter, I would choose a Rivian (minus the $70,000.00 price tag). The Gladiator has better lines, the roof comes off, the doors can also be removed. It doesn't resemble the hideous Ford Flex. Although it has gobs of torque on-tap, the torque isn't converted via a useable underdrive system for actual use below speeds of 15 mph like the Rubicon. The front swaybar cannot be disconnected electronically. There probably isn't 4:1 transfer case gear reduction. The differentials don't lock, nor would the aftermarket likely develop the modifications to for it do so.

I'll stick with the "Chick's car!":bounce::cool:

Ken,
before you continue to embarrass yourself here, perhaps you ought to do a bit more research into permanent REAL 4 wheel drive, electric motors, torque, individual motors at each wheel, individually monitored and computer-controlled - you know, kind of like a science fiction freaks wet dream to replace the old locking differential setups.

and maybe check out the standard equipment offered in the Rivian with regards to cameras, nav systems etc. while you are at it, maybe figure out what level 3 autonomous driving is.

Once again, I thought we were comparing stock trucks - but you seem to want to add on all sorts of stuff to the Gladiator -- then compare it to a stock Rivian - be my guest, no one id forcing you in to buying whatever truck you want or do not want - as long as you are happy with your purchase, its all good.

I just want to make sure you are not spouting false , incomplete information based on your personal biases!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-27-2019 at 09:36 AM

Rivian R1T
Wheelbase = 135.8"
Track = 67.3"
Breakover angle = 25 deg.
Length = 217.1"
Width = 78"
source: https://rivian.com/r1t/

Wrangler JLUnlimited

Length = 184.2"
Width = 73.7"
Wheelbase = 118.4"

The Rivian just doesn't have the optimal wheelbase that it will need considering the small tires and lack of mid-section (breakover) clearance. The proof is right there in the numbers.

[Edited on 11-26-2019 by Ken Cooke]

see Ken, thats where I got confused, I thought we were looking at pick-up trucks.
Lets compare apples to apples OK?

Jeep Gladiator
length - 218 inches - yup a whopping 0.9 inches longer!
Width 73.8 a few inches thinner - less room less stable - but you can fit it through tight squeezes!
wheelbase. 137 - 1.5 inches longer
Breakover Angle 18.4deg. so that's significantly better than the 25 deg. that the Rivian has - right?

towing capacity - (you probably don't want to go there Ken)

You don't have to like the rivian - not for everyone - and you can be A jeep enthusiast all you want - but lets be honest in the comparison - OK?

As a great man once said " the proof is right there in the numbers! "
right Ken?

Jeep gladiator is like miata, not made for tall people, made for short people market - No leg room, Chicks car.

And gladiator is not a pickup. Is a mid-size suv missing roof and hatchback from cargo area.

My 6'4" friend wanted to sit in the driver's seat, and he couldn't believe the leg room vs. the TJ he recently sold. The Tacoma is much more cramped with the angled windshield not far from your face.

As for being a, "Chicks car" my wife wanted me to purchase a 4 door Unlimited Rubicon. I wanted a 2500 Ram Power Wagon. The Gladiator is a combination of the two - essentially as an Unlimited Rubicon to the back seats and a Ram 1500 from the 5' box to the bumper.

I have nothing against the Rivian - if I needed a more urban commuter, I would choose a Rivian (minus the $70,000.00 price tag). The Gladiator has better lines, the roof comes off, the doors can also be removed. It doesn't resemble the hideous Ford Flex. Although it has gobs of torque on-tap, the torque isn't converted via a useable underdrive system for actual use below speeds of 15 mph like the Rubicon. The front swaybar cannot be disconnected electronically. There probably isn't 4:1 transfer case gear reduction. The differentials don't lock, nor would the aftermarket likely develop the modifications to for it do so.

I'll stick with the "Chick's car!":bounce::cool:

Ken,
before you continue to embarrass yourself here, perhaps you ought to do a bit more research into permanent REAL 4 wheel drive, electric motors, torque, individual motors at each wheel, individually monitored and computer-controlled - you know, kind of like a science fiction freaks wet dream to replace the old locking differential setups.

and maybe check out the standard equipment offered in the Rivian with regards to cameras, nav systems etc. while you are at it, maybe figure out what level 3 autonomous driving is.

Once again, I thought we were comparing stock trucks - but you seem to want to add on all sorts of stuff to the Gladiator -- then compare it to a stock Rivian - be my guest, no one id forcing you in to buying whatever truck you want or do not want - as long as you are happy with your purchase, its all good.

I just want to make sure you are not spouting false , incomplete information based on your personal biases!

If the gladiator is so good, why does ken need to spend $15k modifying it? Sounds like the gladiator comes with inadequate suspension, inadequate wheels, inadequate tires,... a whole host in inadequacies on that chicks car for people with short legs.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2019 at 09:39 AM

I am just lending my personal opinion based on vehicle preferences. Carry on..
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2019 at 09:55 AM

Physic 101 of AC PWM Motors used by Tesla and industry for decades.
Max torque available @ =/> zero RPM
Think about it as it applies to offroad compared to I.C.
Ten times less parts too in the drivetrain alone for the same transportation goal.

Es Todo Bueno
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2019 at 10:37 AM

The machine tool industry has been using AC pwm technology for several decades now. Nothing new, just another application. The aircraft industry is experimenting and is flying around a few models now and is relatively impractical.The railroads know a few things about electric motors having been among the first users and keeping up with the advances in motor control technology. It will take a pretty good leap in battery capacity to go to the next level for most applications. My drone battery flying endurance of 15 minutes is a little disappointing but not unexpected.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2019 at 11:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Although it has gobs of torque on-tap, the torque isn't converted via a useable underdrive system for actual use below speeds of 15 mph like the Rubicon. ... There probably isn't 4:1 transfer case gear reduction. The differentials don't lock,

Does any of that even MATTER if you have independent electric motors on each wheel? Seems like all those details are simple patches to address the limitations of traditional internal combustion (RPM-Dependent) engines and drive trains (a single source of drive routed to four separate wheels).

When driving on icy roads, you would not want both wheels turning at the exact same rate going around a corner..or guess what? You SPIN out. :light:

If the off-road mode is not programmed accordingly, and you are attempting to traverse a tricky section and one wheel goes into the air..guess what? You SPIN tires. :light:

This has everything to do with traction and useable torque and nothing to do with traditional IC engines. :light:
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2019 at 11:47 AM

Although it has gobs of torque on-tap, the torque isn't converted via a useable underdrive system for actual use below speeds of 15 mph like the Rubicon. ... There probably isn't 4:1 transfer case gear reduction. The differentials don't lock,

Does any of that even MATTER if you have independent electric motors on each wheel? Seems like all those details are simple patches to address the limitations of traditional internal combustion (RPM-Dependent) engines and drive trains (a single source of drive routed to four separate wheels).

When driving on icy roads, you would not want both wheels turning at the exact same rate going around a corner..or guess what? You SPIN out. :light:

If the off-road mode is not programmed accordingly, and you are attempting to traverse a tricky section and one wheel goes into the air..guess what? You SPIN tires. :light:

This has everything to do with traction and useable torque and nothing to do with traditional IC engines. :light:

Ken, you are really embarrassing yourself with your demonstrated lack of knowledge and understanding. The Rivian set up - it is exactly opposite of what you described. The individual motors fix all of the inherant limitations of a single engine power distribution system, without couplings, linkages, gear boxes, all sorts of complicated breakable stuff. (and we haven't even talked about that ungodly pumpkin hanging down exposed under your jeep!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-27-2019 at 12:13 PM

Tire spin control is known as "traction control" and most vehicles now have it for both control while driving at speed to prevent spin-outs when hitting icy patches or surface changes and to help move from a stop when one drive tire spins from being over loose surfaces. Power is transferred to the traction tire(s). It is an electronic limited-slip that uses the braking system and spin detectors on each wheel.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-27-2019 at 12:29 PM

Ken,
Do you really think that e-vehicles donor have traction control similar to smelly cars like jeeps?
e-vehicles have all that and more. E-vehicles like Tesla got autopilot that makes your cruise control look like a dinosaur. You may be proud of your heap having traction control, but the question you should be asking is Why doesn’t your heap have autopilot?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2019 at 12:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Tire spin control is known as "traction control" and most vehicles now have it for both control while driving at speed to prevent spin-outs when hitting icy patches or surface changes and to help move from a stop when one drive tire spins from being over loose surfaces. Power is transferred to the traction tire(s). It is an electronic limited-slip that uses the braking system and spin detectors on each wheel.

David, take the advice i gave Ken, educate yourself on the rivian drive system. It's clear you have no idea how it works, or what it's capabilities are.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2019 at 01:32 PM

Ken, you are really embarrassing yourself with your demonstrated lack of knowledge and understanding. The Rivian set up - it is exactly opposite of what you described. The individual motors fix all of the inherant limitations of a single engine power distribution system, without couplings, linkages, gear boxes, all sorts of complicated breakable stuff. (and we haven't even talked about that ungodly pumpkin hanging down exposed under your jeep!

If this is the case, wouldn't Rivian care to provide this information on the website? Do you have an actual link to verify this? Some sort of source providing the information that I am "embarrassing myself" in not knowing?
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2019 at 01:39 PM

Ken,
Do you really think that e-vehicles donor have traction control similar to smelly cars like jeeps?
e-vehicles have all that and more. E-vehicles like Tesla got autopilot that makes your cruise control look like a dinosaur. You may be proud of your heap having traction control, but the question you should be asking is Why doesn’t your heap have autopilot?

The 2.0l Wrangler is a mild-hybrid. I wanted to purchase this rocket ship of a motor for my Gladiator, but it is not available, so I bought the 3.6l Pentastar, instead. The 3.6l (as well as the 2.0l) has an auto start-stop feature to burn less gasoline, saving approximately 1/2 gallon per hour of use.

While I would enjoy autopilot, I am unsure if I would initially trust it as larger tires contribute to a number of variables the OEMs might not program into their autopilot systems. I have cruise control on both Jeeps, but I prefer not to use it.

Here's to my "stupid dinosaur":light:

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-27-2019 at 02:21 PM

caj, I have no desire to own a Rivian. I never even heard that name before this thread. If it was so great, why is it such a secret to us in the masses? Don't need to answer if it takes more than six words.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2019 at 03:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
caj, I have no desire to own a Rivian. I never even heard that name before this thread. If it was so great, why is it such a secret to us in the masses? Don't need to answer if it takes more than six words.

Education is a wonderful tool - Try it some time!
 Pages:  1  2    4    6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.