BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: East cape boat launching point?
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 11-25-2019 at 11:55 AM
East cape boat launching point?

Looking for some advice.

I have a 20 foot Triumph with a 150 Yami that runs great. I am presently in Loreto and looking to expand my fishing and experiences on the SOC. I have fished out of Martin Verdugo's in Las Barriles and really liked it, the fishing, the place and the restaurants being so close. It is now the Windsurfing season and they don't have room for my boat trailer and no long offer service to put your boat in and out of the water until the season is over.

With that being said, where can I go on the East Cape as far south as SJD that can:
1: Have a hotel/motel
2: Have a safe place to keep my boat at night
3: Be able to launch and retrieve my boat
4: Have restaurants close by
5: Be able to provide a Captain for my boat until I get a lay of the land.

Looking to do this within the next couple of months.

Thank you for your feedback,

Howard

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2019 at 01:07 PM

Howard, you might want to give Patti a call at Hotel Los Pescadores in Los Barriles. She has a couple of captains on her staff that are very good fisherman. I've fished quite a bit with Lavo and he's a knowledgeable, hardworking captain! They have access to a private ramp and she has plenty of room for your boat trailer.
+52 624 121 8786
https://www.fisheastcape.com/contact
https://www.facebook.com/hotellospescadores/
sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2019 at 05:00 PM

I would 2nd BajaParrotheads recommendation. Patti has 2 outstanding boats and captains, and may be able to assist you with your launch. Ramp can be tricky with rocks and waves.
BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2019 at 12:06 AM

hola Howard,

after i left los barriles, a friend of mine told me he would launch his super panga north of los barriles by himself.

i am sorry i don't remember where that was but i hope someone here can chime in.

if not, perhaps you can sign in and post your query on " bajaponyexpress3@gmail.com " ?

you can also follow weekly reports from tailhunters international in la paz on their website " https://fishreport.jonathanroldan.com/ " as he does give reports from muertos bay/las arenas/isla cerralvo and it should give you an idea whats going on just north of los barriles.

GOOD FISHING TO YOU !

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT
SunDevil
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2019 at 06:16 AM

El Cardonal is a few km north of LB. It has a nice hotel with a good restaurant where the paved highway connects to the coast road. Below is a link with more info.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g3369281-d7612668-R...

The locals launch their boats from the beach in a few places. Check it out with google satellite view.
john68
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2019 at 06:43 AM

Patti’s boats launch at the ramp in Santa Maria. It’s in poor condition.

Suggest you try the ramp at Costa Palma in La Ribera, store your boat at the old Trinidad trailer park (security, etc.). There are a couple of small hotels in LR.

SunDevil
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2019 at 08:55 AM

Another place to look should be La Ventana. Lots of Los Barriles charters head that way.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2019 at 09:06 AM

Do it all!

There is a ramp at Bahia de los Muertos and it's safe for camping.

La Paz has a ramp at Marina La Paz or at the Fonatur Marina (South Bay) and you can store the trailer at Fonatur for a fee. Or Abels dry Marina. Or go luxury $$$ at Costa Baja!

It is possible to use temporary dock to over night and store a railer while you are there at most marinas, Cantamar is farther out and a nice place to stage from for trips to the islands.

There is a ramp in the center of La Ventana and hotel Cerralvo is nearby with storage.

El Cardonal is great if you are up for the short trip over the mountain on the paved road, it has a lot of rocks and sand in the road and sections with one land but is easily passable. El Cardonal is a great place to stage from to go north or south.

Los Frailes is awesome but I don't know if there is a "ramp" but people do launch large super panga boats on occasion.

La Ribera Marina and San Jose Del cabo Marina have $$$ launching service and hotels nearby.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
12-8-2019 at 08:38 PM
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 12-9-2019 at 09:59 AM

Thank you for all your feedback.

I just returned to Loreto after an exploratory trip to LB and LV.

I give a big thumbs up to Patty and her Hotel Los Pescadores.

As long as you don't mid being off the beach it is a little paradise with a great courtyard, bar area and nice rooms with nice patios to chill. I knew the area would be busy with Windsurfers, etc. but I was not prepared for the zoo atmosphere all over town. Martin Verdugos area was completely full and I mean packed in like sardines. I am not complaining about the area, just look forward to going back after the winds die down and the area gets back to normal, whatever that is.

For launching the boat the area is limited but can be done in their off season when Verdugos isn't as busy. Taking nothing away from Hotel Los Pescadores as Patty's hotel itself is nicer than Verdugos, Verdugos looks like a one stop shopping for me. On the beach, they can launch the boat and the area would be safe for my boat at night. Walking to restaurants and has a pool and palapa bar.

Now La Ventana is a different story. I used to hang out there 12 years or so ago and IMO still is not really set up for launching and the area still doesn't have fishing as a priority. To each there own but unless you windsurf, I'll pass on the area especially this time of year.

Spent the last night in La Paz at The Marine Waterfront Hotel. Very nice place on the water, reasonably priced and overall a very nice place and would definitely stay there again.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2019 at 10:53 AM

nice report, did ya catch some fish my friend??

Driving the PanAmerican Highway
https://www.facebook.com/homeonthehighway/

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.