Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Option paralysis
DouglasP
Nomad

Mood: Goat hunter.

[*] posted on 12-1-2019 at 10:24 AM
Option paralysis

My youngest son is coming down to visit right after Christmas. He will be driving down. We plan on spending a couple days here at the casa in Punta Chivato and then he heads back north. My wife and I plan on heading part way back with him and doing some exploring on the way. We will have around 4 or 5 days to kill.
We both have capable 4x4's with small campers on them.

So far I have plotted out leaving from Punta Chivato and going north to Las Animas via el Arco, with a side trip to Mission Gertrudis. Spend the night there and then into BOLA. Spend the night there and then go out to see Mission San Borja, that is as far as I have gotten :?:.

Would really like to crisscross the peninsula on the way up and see some cool stuff, but also have a back up plan incase the weather isn't cooperating. Combination camp and hotel, my wife is only good for 1 or 2 nights camping in a row.

Thanks in advance!

I like beer, better than most people.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2019 at 11:44 AM

From BOLA you could across by the mission to the Pacific and enjoy the drive up the seven sisters? I like both Daggetts and Archelon in Bola for camping, but La Gringa is always good too?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-1-2019 at 02:06 PM

Go up in the Sierras and do a couple-day mule trip to see the cave paintings.
Go kayaking out of loreto.
Go to la ventana and try kite boarding.
7 sisters to surf, or kayak if that floats your boat.
If no snow/rain, San Pedro martir plateau for hiking and mtn biking.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-1-2019 at 02:36 PM

See the giant cave art at Mesa El Carmen and the gold camp Pozo Alemán off the road from El Arco before or after Mission Santa Gertrudis. See Las Flores townsite, rail line, and graves on the way to L.A. Bay. All these sites and more are in my road guide parts 3 & 4, posted in the road conditions forum.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2019 at 02:52 PM

Trying to remember what I read about Mikes mountain in BOLA, good hike to the top? I'm sure others can fill in the gaps....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-1-2019 at 04:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Trying to remember what I read about Mikes mountain in BOLA, good hike to the top? I'm sure others can fill in the gaps....

Mike's Mountain is the peak between L.A. Bay town and Camp Gecko. A trail leads to the top from just north of the town. At the top, Mike furnished a boulder cave and included water collection cisterns. Graham Mackintosh wrote about it in his first book (when Mike was alive). Amazing views up there, as you can imagine. Photos from there or nearby (San Juan mines?) posted by Paulina, I think?

Mike's Mountain as seen from the south end of the bay:

The above two photos are from Bedman (Steve Cox).

Below are photos I took in 2006, from www.VivaBaja.com/1106 :

The zoom on my new camera works well. This is the top of Mike's Mountain where a cave with provisions is located.

[Edited on 12-1-2019 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Desert Rat
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2019 at 11:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Yes, Mike's Mountain is worth the climb if you have the time. I've climbed it twice and would climb it again if I am ever in BOLA again.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2019 at 08:44 PM

Douglas -sneak over to La Bocana for a quick visit! Coffee in the morn or beer in the afternoon!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.