BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Whoah!! Prices in Los Barrilles!
kiterkip
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2019 at 07:32 AM
Whoah!! Prices in Los Barrilles!

Been coming to Mexico for 40 years. It's our first stay in Los Barrilles (I'm a wind-junky).
Whoah! The food prices here in both the grocery store, and at all restaurants are insane. Even if you search the back streets for a mom & pop taco stand it's equal or more than Tacoma Wa USA.
Last night we paid $6USD for a maragarita... (but the salsa band was excellent)
When it was time for the bill I had to twist her arm to take pesos. Huh? She kept repeating over and over the amount in USD while I waved the pesos accurate in her face.
Just strange. Give me "real" Mexico please.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 12-3-2019 at 08:12 AM

getting to be the norm...wherever gringos concentrate.....sad but...
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 12-3-2019 at 08:21 AM

Spent New Years eve '79/'80 there. Before wind sports and not much going on.
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 12-3-2019 at 10:00 AM

Ya, TOO many Gringo's tend to really F-UP a place ..

Thanks for letting us know, I've scratched Los Barrilles off my Baja list..

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
bajamary1952
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2019 at 10:45 AM

It's not only Baja Sur...it's the entire peninsula. I've been living in Baja Norte for several years and prices here steadily have increased as the number of expat baby boomers relocate here. Biggest increase has been in properties both rentals and purchasing.
Many expats come here and through dollars around like candy & then it results in price increases for everyone.
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 12-3-2019 at 10:53 AM

:lol:four days into a CSL vacation and I already could have bought a pretty nice car for what i've spent! rosarito is gonna feel free
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2019 at 11:43 AM

I hear ya, been going to Lb for several years, prices - certainly no bargain. a fishing or Diving trip - they look at you as if you were the golden goose!
I originally planned to buy a retirement place there, now - not so much. To crowded, significant uptick in crime, and I found out that I don't really like a whole lot of gringos hanging around. I seem to do better in a place where i'm considered to be the weird outlier.
I'll be there (LB) over Christmas, but I've shifted my long range plans to looking in BOLA & or Bahia Asuncion or La Bocana area.

also pretty much convinced i just want to rent long term, so i can walk away anytime I feel like it.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-3-2019 at 07:56 PM

Gasbag,
Its not a game of ‘get the gringo.’ It’s just a market economy. If all you gringos flock to roost in one spot, you will see prices rise, and bird chit on your shoes. Spread your wings, roost elsewhere, don’t be a lemming that follows the crowd.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2019 at 04:09 PM

I love everything Los Barriles! I guess we could not afford to live there but the air bnb options are quite reasonable, and the chile rellenos on the lunch menu on Fridays at one of the restaurants are so delicious! I bet one has to talk to the locals to know where to go.

I remember the farmers market had amazing and inexpensive food.

I remember that the locals go to Rexe's bar on the beach - should not be missed.

La Ribera may have less expensive eateries???

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bajafreaks
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days !!!

[*] posted on 12-4-2019 at 04:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
I love everything Los Barriles! I guess we could not afford to live there but the air bnb options are quite reasonable, and the chile rellenos on the lunch menu on Fridays at one of the restaurants are so delicious! I bet one has to talk to the locals to know where to go.

I remember the farmers market had amazing and inexpensive food.

I remember that the locals go to Rexe's bar on the beach - should not be missed.

La Ribera may have less expensive eateries???

You nailed it Blanca on every account.
I still Love Los Barriles been going there for almost 20 years, have a small place there as well. Yeah its getting more expensive and ALOT more crowded but if you guys haven't noticed Baja is booming right now and attracting the crazy gringos like mad. I blame most of it on social media. I found Los Barriles one day many years ago on a road trip from San Jose Del Cabo...back then I didn't Google it or ask anyone on Facebook if it was a cool place to go...
charliemanson
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2019 at 05:21 PM

We created it and we now must live it. We all, gringos, tipped 20%, next year prices up 20%. next year....well. They didn't understand why we were leaving extra money!
Maid here in gringoville is almost 500 pesos for 2-1/2 hours. At the La Paz home it is 200 for a whole day.
My fishing Capitan buddy charges 300 a day for gringos and he is cheap compared to other locations. For Mexicans, and fortunately us, it is 150.

Once again, you sleep in the bed you made. Sad but true.

Culican, Guad, Mex. city. Still super cheap...Why. No pinch gringos. Granted it does cost quite a bit of money to have goods shipped to our Island, but not near as much as we have created it to be.

Want to see the difference in food prices just try La Garita between Todos and La Paz. Full of professional business Mexicans in transit and never a gringo, super good and fast food at normal Mexican prices.
Just sayin you are getting ripped off and you have created it
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2019 at 05:30 PM

My Mexican friends have little respect for gringos who overpay, or have little/poor spanish.
On occasions where they feel i have overpaid for goods or services they never pass up an opportunity to rub it in.
kiterkip
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2019 at 05:50 PM

Agreed... but how can we not "overpay" when every grocery store also seems to have inflated prices? I'm sure that I'm simply spoiled with a life in rural mainland Mexico. But $4 for a pound of green beans? I walked away.

In retrospect when I think about this waitress who insisted that I pay in dollars as I responded IN PERFECT SPANISH that I wanted to pay in pesos? I think she was hoping I'd pay with bucks so they could impose their chitty 17 to the 1 exchange rate. This was at La Playa on the beach in LB. If I looked across the crowd I'm pretty sure %90 would just pay with US dollars and be stupid about exchange rates.
When they do this it just works to spoil my generous tipping policy :(

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
My Mexican friends have little respect for gringos who overpay, or have little/poor spanish.
On occasions where they feel i have overpaid for goods or services they never pass up an opportunity to rub it in.
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2019 at 05:56 PM

Hmm - not sure what restaurants you ate at ? And Chapitos (market) prices are inline with any other market in Baja ?
greasecoyote

[*] posted on 12-4-2019 at 07:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Man_With_Gas  
South Baja is pricing itself out of the game and it's actually cheaper to go to Nice and surrounding areas these days. You get FAR more everything for your $.

No infrastructure, corruption, price hikes of 20% overnight and not a true protective trusted police force so why bother these days.

I say this outwardly as the Locals need to understand that if they scare the Gringos off they're not going to last long.

I own/live here but my $ are now going to Europeans during low/summer season and I'll ultimately relocate there because of this.

Visiting Panama, Costa Rica and some other developing countries that don't have the same hangups Mexico does soured me on Baja California.

Sure, "soak the tourist" and "solicit a bribe" are past times in almost every tropical country but the absence of a lot of the mutual tensions and grievances that exist between Mexico and the U.S. makes a difference in the attitudes people have towards you.

There's countries with friendlier locals, better security, lower prices, less games to play just to go about your business, and where they not only let you own property outright, they give you a residency permit, and eventually, a passport, just for dropping the money on a home in their country. That said, I still like visiting Baja and Mexico, in general, but Central America (the good parts) made Baja feel a bit overrated.
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2019 at 07:42 PM

Any place in a foreign country that wants you to pay in US dollars, you can bet is a Gringo rip-off joint....

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2019 at 07:58 PM

greasecoyote, what are some of the places that you like best, that you spent time in? I'm always looking...
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 12-4-2019 at 08:08 PM

Any place to many Gringo's yes rip off. I have not noticed any price increase in North Baja. Non gringo places I can't believe doctor prices . Office visit twice with pills 10 bucks then later my private doctor 20 bucks with pills non gringo price
greasecoyote

[*] posted on 12-4-2019 at 08:26 PM

advrider:

I like the sea of Cortez towns, Mulege, La Paz area, east cape until you get into Los Cabos municipality which I don't like (way too touristy, feels like Honolulu) though it sounds like that's taking over everywhere in Baja. I've never made it to the "remote" pacific side (Puerto Chale/San Juanico/Abreojos) and always wanted to and Malarrimo. If you're asking about central America, the pacific coast of Costa Rica and the parts of Panama on the Costa Rican border (Chiriqui and Bocas del Toro provinces). Costa Rica really is worth a visit, its what other latin American countries could aspire to be like.

What and where do you ride? I'm a fan of supermoto and small dual sports.

Prices in northern Baja definitely went up a lot over the last decade. The 8 peso taco is now a 20 peso taco even though the peso only went from 12 to 18 per dollar.

[Edited on 12-5-2019 by greasecoyote]
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2019 at 09:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by kiterkip  
... I responded IN PERFECT SPANISH ...
Jeesh, and I can't even speak perfect English! :wow:

Now THAT was funny !!!

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.